Used cars - how old is too old to buy?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Afternoon everyone,

Looking for a new car as mine is about to give up earlier than I wanted it too and it's not worth the cost in getting it fixed due to a number of problems with it. I have been looking around the last couple of days and have seen a variety of cars about, different ages and different mileages.

But how old is too old? Is it better to get a new car with a mid range mileage or an older car with lower mileage?

For example I have seen a 2010 Peugeot 207 SW estate with old 19,000 miles on it, or a 2008 toyota auris with 51644 miles. Or is it better to go with 2013 Peugeot 208 with 61,093 miles on it?

All I need it for is traveling to work and general commuting and the occasional long trip throughout the year. Wedding coming up this year I want to make sure I am getting good value for money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am buying my new car soon and will be selling my 14yr old Skoda Superb, with its genuine 72k on the clock. I am not trying a sales pitch, other than to say with Ford doing their scrapage scheme, anyone who was so inclined could buy something like my car before the end of Sept (you must have owned the car for 90 days) can then chop it in aginst a new Ford and save some.
I have already had someone say it to me who is interested in my much cared for barge.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would put it this way . I virtually always buy new or nearly and get rid once it obvious that it is starting to develop faults more often than I like. That is normally around 7-8 years old.

Low mileage is no real sign of reliability (I only do about 6k a year). It maybe a car that only does very short journeys which can be more of a car wrecker than something which has lots of mileage but those have been a lot of up and down a motorway.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Buy Japanese doesn't seem to matter how many miles they rack up, there bullet proof 👏

Toyota, Honda my favs my type r 100k never spent a penny on it other than tyres, oil etc 53 plate

French expect bills, German expensive repairs, Italian #Fiat expect hassles. For me its all about the brand.

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
My 10 year old focus st is rotten as a pear, looking at a car from 1967 next so I better start practising my welding!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Buy Japanese doesn't seem to matter how many miles they rack up, there bullet proof 

I'm starting to agree with this thinking. The most reliable car I owned was a Toyota Avensis and in all its 12 years and 150,000 miles, I never had any trouble with it. Stark contrast to the BMWs I've had in the past and the Jag I currently have, which between them have cost me thousands in repairs and upkeep.

I'll be getting something Japanese next.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's guys. Still looking about for a car. Staying away from ford this time as my current one has been nothing but trouble after the first year, and is only getting worse. I had hoped it would have seen out the year and I could have put more towards a newer one but doesn't look likely.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know with last car change I looked very hard at Kias with their very long warranties. However in the end it came down to the type of automatic gearbox they use in the older cars and I did not want to wait a year for a one year older model with the new gearbox to be available.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Can't profess to being a petrol head but I needed to buy a run around for my commute.
Initially bought a 1999 Ford Focus with 43000 miles on the clock. It was a factor of cost and miles for me.

Now I have a 2007 Vectra with 54000 on the clock. Also a combination of cost and miles. I don't really care how old it is.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
A tightwad I knew a while back would buy himself the cheapest/nearest car he could find in the E&M... He would then run it until it either failed the MOT or died on him... Whereupon he would simply abandon it wherever it was and start the process all over again... Worked for him...

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have had only very minor issues with my 2004 Volvo S80 and it's still on its original box (auto) and engine - not bad for 300000! I would say as long as it has been looked after (yearly servicing, faults fixed etc) then buy cheap and run till dead. That said I've ordered a new car but that's for a very different reason.
In all honesty I quite like the security of knowing that I can bash stuff and it won't make a difference to the value!

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Should have added someone will get another 100000 out of it if they take care so this would represent a bargain - it all depends on how well maintained it has been.