Used balls

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does anyone know the origins of a ball found in the rough? Lake balls are not stamped, I've never had a yellow one. They look like any other ball found in the rough. If people never use a ball they have found then fair enough but otherwise there is every chance that ball you have found is a lake ball.

Chico84

Visit site
I was given a big bag of lake balls for Christmas last year. Random selection of Callaway balls. I had a great round with a ball that seemed to work brilliantly for me so I took a note of its name and thought I’d buy some more when I inevitably lost this one. It was an HX Tour 56. On googling it turns out it was from 2005. I’d never have known the difference.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve just bought 36 titleist dt trusoft pearls, solely for winter golf. Partly because they’re meant to be decent in the cold, but also because I’ll no doubt lose at least 1 per round under leaves, and most rounds I play will be casual rather than comps. Come spring when we have comps every week I’ll go back to a nice new ball.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I take two brand new premium balls out of a box, and rub them together, they feel almost sticky. Hit them a couple of times, and this is gone.
I watch golf on telly, and the pro's seem to change golf ball on pretty much every hole. They also get insane amounts of spin. Is there a correlation? Do brand new, never been hit before balls spin more?
No idea.
I mostly use new, but also play pick ups if they are mint, and what I normally play. I tend to play with a ball until I lose it, or until it is scuffed. I figure unless I am going to change ball every hole, it's not going to make much difference.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are going to buy lake balls and want to guarantee their rough age buy from a seller that specifies which model.

As I already said last time I bought lake balls I was buying Callaway Tour I(s) which at the time were so relatively new that they could not have been sat at the bottom of a lake for years.

Personally I am not going to chuck away a 2018-20 ProV1 that I find on the course but I just give away any ball I find that I will not use because of the type of ball eg Callaway Chrome soft graphene.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always like to play srixon. Mainly ad333

My course only sells srixons in reception (pro shop is further down at range sells more) this leads to lots of srixons being used

If I find a non srixon I normally throw to my PP but srixons I'll keep as rough balls

Got plenty brand new ad333 personalised from the 4 for 3 deal left