Us pga black out

D

Deleted member 15344

But terrestrial channels are not going to give this much coverage to the Open. It will be the same as the BBC did just the main days and leave it at that and even then it will just be ducks in the burn etc. At least sky are bringing something different to the coverage, which is a good insight to how the players prepare and practice around the course. The innovations are what sky bring to the coverage which previously has been lacking in other years.

As to last years finish, who knows how many youngsters watched, but has been said above, golf has been in decline for years even when the golf was on terrestrial TV, so clearly people aren't watching it either way.

For 90plus percentage of sports fans etc they only care about the 4 days golf , that's when it matters - all the stuff before hand will be aimed towards golfers , people who are already into golf and even then how many really care about someone hitting up the range ?

Competitive golf is all that matters to most as opposed to watching someone practise - only the real golf geeks will be interested in that

All the "innovations" and insight etc from Sky are aimed at golfers already - how about aim something at Non golfers - do what BT sport do at times - make it free for two days for example.

Sky no doubt throw all the bells at it - it's shiney and bright and you can see they are throwing money at it but at the end of the day it's still just golf, guys walking around hitting the ball - BBC show that golf just as good for me and in fact better because I prefer their commentary team and without the adverts ( but that's all about personal opinion and there is no right answer) .

I have no doubt the US PGA etc have seen how little people watch golf in the U.K. When it's on Sky and don't see that as a good thing , expect others to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Has there been any announcement from the Beeb as to how much live golf they'll show?

Only thing the articles say is for this year it will be on the red button until 10:30 due to the World Athletic Champs then on the main channel after that. Only other stuff is what's on Twitter and it's all four days of the Comp live using the US feed whenever that starts

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's gone to the BBC I hope they take a long look at how they'll cover it and try to radically improve but I suspect that all it means is we'll see less golf with poorer coverage.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My kids all have TVs in their rooms with Sky. As they are smart TVs they can also watch Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc on their TVs too.

Anytime I go into their rooms the TVs are off and they are watching YouTube on their phones or Netflix on their iPads (and vice versa)

At school most of the kids (according to mine) have VPNs on their phones to get around school wi-fi rules or watch the US version of Netflix.

Therefore it amuses me when I read posts that the kids will get into the game because it is on free to air TV or because Sky have vastly superior coverage and innovation (which they have)

I'm afraid we are all old fogies and we don't have a clue

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
The irony is that actually 72 hole stroke play golf is mostly dull as ditch water to watch whatever channel it is on. You need to get the Ryder Cup on terrestrial, that will draw a few people in. Or televise those tournaments where they are trying something a little different on terrestrial

D

Deleted member 15344

The irony is that actually 72 hole stroke play golf is mostly dull as ditch water to watch whatever channel it is on. You need to get the Ryder Cup on terrestrial, that will draw a few people in. Or televise those tournaments where they are trying something a little different on terrestrial

Yet over 5 million watch it when its on BBC - guess it cant be that dull for those millions who watch it. I suspect there are a hell of a lot of people who will sit there and watch all of it and not find it dull in the slightest and also expect a great deal more will watch those 72 holes as opposed to the "fancy tournaments" the freaky canadian is trying to force through

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My kids all have TVs in their rooms with Sky. As they are smart TVs they can also watch Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc on their TVs too.

Anytime I go into their rooms the TVs are off and they are watching YouTube on their phones or Netflix on their iPads (and vice versa)

At school most of the kids (according to mine) have VPNs on their phones to get around school wi-fi rules or watch the US version of Netflix.

Therefore it amuses me when I read posts that the kids will get into the game because it is on free to air TV or because Sky have vastly superior coverage and innovation (which they have)

I'm afraid we are all old fogies and we don't have a clue

This is so true

Yet over 5 million watch it when its on BBC - guess it cant be that dull for those millions who watch it. I suspect there are a hell of a lot of people who will sit there and watch all of it and not find it dull in the slightest and also expect a great deal more will watch those 72 holes as opposed to the "fancy tournaments" the freaky canadian is trying to force through

But once again it is appealing to those already converted. The "freaky Canadian" is trying to appeal to everyone else. He is trying to grow the game whilst also trying to satisfy the hardcore.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If it's gone to the BBC I hope they take a long look at how they'll cover it and try to radically improve but I suspect that all it means is we'll see less golf with poorer coverage.

Sadly it'll be a rehash of all their previous coverage. Can't see them doing anything different and they are too stuck in their ways. That applies to their coverage of most of the live sport they show (not that much these days)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Sadly it'll be a rehash of all their previous coverage. Can't see them doing anything different and they are too stuck in their ways. That applies to their coverage of most of the live sport they show (not that much these days)

Hurrah!

I'm happy with the BBC's coverage, I don't need a load of gimmicks to make the sport entertaining.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hurrah!

I'm happy with the BBC's coverage, I don't need a load of gimmicks to make the sport entertaining.
:thup:

The sport itself is then entertainment for me