Us pga black out

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I do get that, and those that are successful will be those who manage the transition from old tech to newer the best, and thus maintain their existing customer base whilst giving themselves the best chance to expand into newer or different areas and attract a newer audience alongside

just a case of working out when to be short of sky's share price :)

Well it genuinely has made me ever more determined to cancel sky sports. I was slightly considering going to golf only but I think this is the thin end of the sand wedge. Especially if they do not have the 1st 2 days of the masters confirmed as someone linked to.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't be right ... as their day is gone apparently ;)

Will be great to see .... and I have sky so no reason apart from better viewing figures.

D

Deleted member 15344

That must be wrong as everyone keeps telling me that BBC have no desire to show golf

Looks like PGA aren't going to chase the money but instead show it to as many people as possible , hopefully the Masters next then US Open - would be brilliant

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Genuinely well played the PGA if this is the case. Has the potential to make the R&A decision to throw their lot in with Sky look a bit foolish and out of date as well. Still, not like the R&A to be a bit behind the times.....

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuinely well played the PGA if this is the case. Has the potential to make the R&A decision to throw their lot in with Sky look a bit foolish and out of date as well. Still, not like the R&A to be a bit behind the times.....

Have to say I agree, I mean all that fancy technology that Sky are using as well as having the actual players on hitting shots and us seeing their data on trackman is so outdated, let's get up to the times with the good old Beeb and futuristic things like the dinosaur that is Peter Alliss commentating while we have Ken Brown dropping rubber ducks into burns or even.....wait for it........rolling a ball across a green!! Wow can't wait for it!!

🙄

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Have to say I agree, I mean all that fancy technology that Sky are using as well as having the actual players on hitting shots and us seeing their data on trackman is so outdated, let's get up to the times with the good old Beeb and futuristic things like the dinosaur that is Peter Alliss commentating while we have Ken Brown dropping rubber ducks into burns or even.....wait for it........rolling a ball across a green!! Wow can't wait for it!!



This for me as well, the coverage so far on Sky for the Open has been superb.
Getting to see the best players in the world giving you tips and their thoughts on the course and how they hope to tackle the course.
Also Jon Rahm getting out of that pot bunker with a 4 iron, great stuff.

D

Deleted member 15344

🙄

Is there any point after all the futuristic gadgets and shot stuff if hardly anyone is actually watching it ? The only people watching all that sky zone are people who have paid to watch the golf and already are golfers - not really helping grow the game

Is it not better for golf for more people as possible to watch it ? Does that not give the sport a bit more of a chance of grabbing people who don't play golf

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there any point after all the futuristic gadgets and shot stuff if hardly anyone is actually watching it ? The only people watching all that sky zone are people who have paid to watch the golf and already are golfers - not really helping grow the game

Is it not better for golf for more people as possible to watch it ? Does that not give the sport a bit more of a chance of grabbing people who don't play golf

Do you really believe that someone who isn't already into golf is going to get super excited about the sport and rush out to buy clubs and get a membership after tuning in to the BBC coverage and listen to a commentator that reminisces of such things like having a cup of tea with old Aggie one day sitting on the front lawn of some unheard of golf club whilst the extra features include things like dropping rubber ducks into a burn to show that a burn flows inland toward a golf course.

I seriously doubt it

We live in a technology dominated world nowadays and the only way to attract young new members is to embrace the technology and actually move with the times.

To call the R&A backwards and outdated for going to Sky and not remaining with the BBC is quite frankly an outrageous statement.

D

Deleted member 16999

Wouldn't it be better to wait for the official announcement rather than speculate, in the past it's all been about the people in charge selling it to the highest bidder.

Of course it would be better, currently, if Golf was shown on any free to air terrestial channel has they currently have a larger share of the market.

We shouldn't also be making out the BBC is somehow a beacon for good as they gave up The Open a year early for no good reason.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you really believe that someone who isn't already into golf is going to get super excited about the sport and rush out to buy clubs and get a membership after tuning in to the BBC coverage and listen to a commentator that reminisces of such things like having a cup of tea with old Aggie one day sitting on the front lawn of some unheard of golf club whilst the extra features include things like dropping rubber ducks into a burn to show that a burn flows inland toward a golf course.

I seriously doubt it

We live in a technology dominated world nowadays and the only way to attract young new members is to embrace the technology and actually move with the times.

To call the R&A backwards and outdated for going to Sky and not remaining with the BBC is quite frankly an outrageous statement.

I didn't call the R&A backwards ? But I do believe the R&A made a step backwards by going for the Sky money

And yes I do believe kids have more of a chance of finding the sport if they are able to sit and actually watch the program on telly - a drop in viewing figures of around 75% isn't good for any sport regardless of what fancy gadget is used. No point having the technology if it's stuck behind subscription services that the majority of the country don't have - don't believe the "only way to attract young people" is by using technology- why would a kid start playing golf because of a line following a ball ? Or because you can see Rahm hit it 300 yards with 1000 spin.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Having The Open on the BBC is better for golf in my opinion. The Open is this weekend but we don't have Sky at our club. Too expensive for the number of people who watch it. However, if it had been on BBC then people would more than likely have stayed a little longer in the club, had something to eat, a couple of drinks, generate more revenue, etc. But it's not, and wasn't last year. The number of people watching The Open on TV has shrunk.
It's like The Ashes in cricket. People don't get as excited as it's not readily available. The move by the R&A to hand Sky the rights was short sighted. It should be on the protected lists of sporting events. Certainly The Open and possibly The Ryder Cup should be Category A.

D

Deleted member 16999

Having The Open on the BBC is better for golf in my opinion. The Open is this weekend but we don't have Sky at our club. Too expensive for the number of people who watch it. However, if it had been on BBC then people would more than likely have stayed a little longer in the club, had something to eat, a couple of drinks, generate more revenue, etc. But it's not, and wasn't last year. The number of people watching The Open on TV has shrunk.
It's like The Ashes in cricket. People don't get as excited as it's not readily available. The move by the R&A to hand Sky the rights was short sighted. It should be on the protected lists of sporting events. Certainly The Open and possibly The Ryder Cup should be Category A.
I agree with the sentiment, but again, the reason it wasn't shown last year was because the BBC packed it in early, BBC have to take some responsibility, this should be Sky's first year and with Sky only having 30% of the market whatever they do they will have less viewers.

Totally agree it should be Cat A.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
I agree with the sentiment, but again, the reason it wasn't shown last year was because the BBC packed it in early, BBC have to take some responsibility, this should be Sky's first year and with Sky only having 30% of the market whatever they do they will have less viewers.

Totally agree it should be Cat A.

I totally agree that the BBC coverage was outdated and antiquated and they were architects of their own downfall in some way. In a way their coverage kind of reflected the image of the game and the image of the R&A, it was a self perpetuating circle of getting more and more out of touch and irrlevant to the general public. I am hoping they will not be wheeling the same old people again and it looks like they have some new talent lined up http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...r-has-campaigned-get-women-golf-tv-colleague/

(and spoiler alert for some of you, she is a woman, I know PC gone mad, only got the job because she's a woman etc etc ;))

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It would be better for more people to watch it if they do end up watching it, but surely the people that will tune in will just be golf fans that are not interested in paying for sky, not necessarily people that do not play the game already.

Also in regards to the sky zone stuff etc. it is better than what we have had previous years the days leading up the the open which was nothing. At least sky are trying to give us different programming to watch, and if kids get interested in seeing Rahm in the bunker with a 4 iron and go out the next day and try it untill they can do it, then isn't that the point? Growing the game by getting youngsters playing and practicing more.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't call the R&A backwards ? But I do believe the R&A made a step backwards by going for the Sky money

And yes I do believe kids have more of a chance of finding the sport if they are able to sit and actually watch the program on telly - a drop in viewing figures of around 75% isn't good for any sport regardless of what fancy gadget is used. No point having the technology if it's stuck behind subscription services that the majority of the country don't have - don't believe the "only way to attract young people" is by using technology- why would a kid start playing golf because of a line following a ball ? Or because you can see Rahm hit it 300 yards with 1000 spin.

I didn't say you did say that, my original post was in reply to someone else which if you read it properly you would have seen I quoted them in my post.

in my opinion the BBC coverage of golf (if any future coverage is in the same mould as their previous showings) only serves to enhance the belief that golf is an old mans game played by boring old people.

D

Deleted member 15344

It would be better for more people to watch it if they do end up watching it, but surely the people that will tune in will just be golf fans that are not interested in paying for sky, not necessarily people that do not play the game already.

Also in regards to the sky zone stuff etc. it is better than what we have had previous years the days leading up the the open which was nothing. At least sky are trying to give us different programming to watch, and if kids get interested in seeing Rahm in the bunker with a 4 iron and go out the next day and try it untill they can do it, then isn't that the point? Growing the game by getting youngsters playing and practicing more.

Currently there only about 30% of households that have Sky in and I expect not all have sport - out of those people how many kids are going to get the chance to sit there and watch skyzone on the Open ? How are kids going to watch all these "innovations" when the chances are very slim they will get a chance to see it. If it was on terrestrial ( doesn't have to be BBC ) then I would expect the majority of kids have a telly in their room that picks up digital or terrestrial telly which imo gives them more chance to watch the sport being played. Last year was a thrilling finish to the Open - the sort of finish that could grab the attention of a youngster - how many non golfers watched it though ? For me the best chance for the sport to grow and be more inclusive to all is to not have it be exclusive to subscription viewers

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Currently there only about 30% of households that have Sky in and I expect not all have sport - out of those people how many kids are going to get the chance to sit there and watch skyzone on the Open ? How are kids going to watch all these "innovations" when the chances are very slim they will get a chance to see it. If it was on terrestrial ( doesn't have to be BBC ) then I would expect the majority of kids have a telly in their room that picks up digital or terrestrial telly which imo gives them more chance to watch the sport being played. Last year was a thrilling finish to the Open - the sort of finish that could grab the attention of a youngster - how many non golfers watched it though ? For me the best chance for the sport to grow and be more inclusive to all is to not have it be exclusive to subscription viewers

But terrestrial channels are not going to give this much coverage to the Open. It will be the same as the BBC did just the main days and leave it at that and even then it will just be ducks in the burn etc. At least sky are bringing something different to the coverage, which is a good insight to how the players prepare and practice around the course. The innovations are what sky bring to the coverage which previously has been lacking in other years.

As to last years finish, who knows how many youngsters watched, but has been said above, golf has been in decline for years even when the golf was on terrestrial TV, so clearly people aren't watching it either way.