Us pga black out

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I expect there will be some kind of transition period where highlights are still available on 'normal' TV for us old fogies. It seems to be all about different platforms now, not just relying on one.

I do get that, and those that are successful will be those who manage the transition from old tech to newer the best, and thus maintain their existing customer base whilst giving themselves the best chance to expand into newer or different areas and attract a newer audience alongside

just a case of working out when to be short of sky's share price :)

D

Deleted member 15344

For me Sky having a monopoly on golf wasn't good for the game - it forced people that do want to watch the game to pay for it and it seems to me that many decided against paying for it irrelevant of any fancying graphics etc they added. So if PgA and the Masters are looking at that and are looking for ways to opening up the viewing to more people that for me should be applauded. If it's all online then I expect the viewing figures to be higher than right now but not at much as when it used to be on BBC. Hopefully one of the terrestrial channels will go for more golf and if there are adverts then that might be the price to pay for having golf on free to air mediums.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anybody watched live sports on YouTube/Facebook/twitter? Everyone talking about it having more adverts but I've not actually seen any, so is there any substance to this?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the question comes -

When you used to watching your whatever it is from the comfort of your armchair 10-15 ft from the screen on a very big screen are you going to carry on watching when you hat to do it sat just 15 inches from a small screen or are you going to find something else to watch?

These days I hardly ever watch American golf live. Far too few shots, too many ad breaks, to much repeated showing of the same shot, too much time watching the commentators booth. At least with some events Sky has been allowed to get it's own cameras and commentators used for some of the time.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the question comes -

When you used to watching your whatever it is from the comfort of your armchair 10-15 ft from the screen on a very big screen are you going to carry on watching when you hat to do it sat just 15 inches from a small screen or are you going to find something else to watch?

These days I hardly ever watch American golf live. Far too few shots, too many ad breaks, to much repeated showing of the same shot, too much time watching the commentators booth. At least with some events Sky has been allowed to get it's own cameras and commentators used for some of the time.

you can watch from the internet on your tv (albeit most of the older generation wont know how)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Whenever there is a poll/discussion about the majors, the us pga regularly comes out 4th. Don't know if still the case but it always had the strongest field based on WR.

If their plan is to try to shift to the "most watched" major also, then that is an interesting proposition.

Will be interesting to read the coach's from Stateside.

D

Deleted member 16999

Has anybody watched live sports on YouTube/Facebook/twitter? Everyone talking about it having more adverts but I've not actually seen any, so is there any substance to this?
Depends on the event, some have simply taken the host broadcaster feed and you get what they show, ie, the recent boxing on twitter was the Sky feed.

Others are paid by advertising before and during the event either by ads before you can't fast forward or banners going top or bottom of screen.

D

Deleted member 16999

For me Sky having a monopoly on golf wasn't good for the game - it forced people that do want to watch the game to pay for it and it seems to me that many decided against paying for it irrelevant of any fancying graphics etc they added. So if PgA and the Masters are looking at that and are looking for ways to opening up the viewing to more people that for me should be applauded. If it's all online then I expect the viewing figures to be higher than right now but not at much as when it used to be on BBC. Hopefully one of the terrestrial channels will go for more golf and if there are adverts then that might be the price to pay for having golf on free to air mediums.
As much as I agree with the sentiment, do you honestly think the PGA of America or The Masters people actually care if it's shown on a terrestial channel in the UK if it's available on all the other platforms as rumoured.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As much as I agree with the sentiment, do you honestly think the PGA of America or The Masters people actually care if it's shown on a terrestial channel in the UK if it's available on all the other platforms as rumoured.

this.....

The UK market is just money to them so they will do what they think is right for their business model

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Why this BBC fixation. Their day is gone. It's a bygone generation. I really don't see how having it online is going to get these "massed" numbers. Most middle aged golfers will watch the channel because it's there but they aren't going to source it on a pad or PC or sit there watching it. That i'm afraid is an honest assessment and I really fail to see what the PGA hope to gain by this.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why this BBC fixation. Their day is gone. It's a bygone generation. I really don't see how having it online is going to get these "massed" numbers. Most middle aged golfers will watch the channel because it's there but they aren't going to source it on a pad or PC or sit there watching it. That i'm afraid is an honest assessment and I really fail to see what the PGA hope to gain by this.
Maybe it's not about the middle aged golfers, maybe it's about the next generation and putting onto the platforms they use, FBook/Twitter/Youtube etc, expanding the game rather than chasing those they've already got.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Maybe it's not about the middle aged golfers, maybe it's about the next generation and putting onto the platforms they use, FBook/Twitter/Youtube etc, expanding the game rather than chasing those they've already got.

Agreed but really how many new and YOUNG golfers are they really going to generate? I don't accept that there are those out there that don't have Sky (courtesy of parents) already so how many others do you realistically think will benefit?

D

Deleted member 16999

Agreed but really how many new and YOUNG golfers are they really going to generate? I don't accept that there are those out there that don't have Sky (courtesy of parents) already so how many others do you realistically think will benefit?
Seriously! What about the rest of the world, the far east for example and the billions of kids stuck in front of computers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No, it's about WHY Sky have not had their contract renewed by the PGA of America.

I fear we're off on a tangent so I'll make this my last response. It's about Sky losing the contract in preference of social media providers for want of a better generic description. My argument is that a) the majority of viewers are going to be older than teenagers who want to hit a channel on the remote and watch and not look online, b) most teenagers watch golf on Sky because dad pays the fee and they probably wouldn't bother searching and watching it themselves c) if you are new to golf would you even know it was shown and where to look for it if it's not on a TV and d) its the PGA!!

D

Deleted member 16999

I fear we're off on a tangent so I'll make this my last response. It's about Sky losing the contract in preference of social media providers for want of a better generic description. My argument is that a) the majority of viewers are going to be older than teenagers who want to hit a channel on the remote and watch and not look online, b) most teenagers watch golf on Sky because dad pays the fee and they probably wouldn't bother searching and watching it themselves c) if you are new to golf would you even know it was shown and where to look for it if it's not on a TV and d) its the PGA!!
Not bothered if you respond, 95% of all UK households have a TV, only 30% have Sky, so backing up Phils point, terrestial TV opens up a wider audience.

Not sure if you use social media, it is full of adverts promoting all sorts of events and products, young people use social media, look at the hideous profits FBook make, if you wish to get a new product exposure these days it has more success being launched through social media.

It really helps if you read whole threads before jumping in to point score against other posters.