Us pga black out

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I expect the level in viewing figures on Sky will not please the governing bodies - that's what happens when it's on subscription.

Hopefully BBC can pick it and go back to all four days and the audience widens back up.

Why would the Beeb want it. They pulled out of every other bit of sport

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would the Beeb want it. They pulled out of every other bit of sport

Have they "pulled out " or did Sky outbid the by offering more money. BBC still show the sat and Sunday live so obviously still want to show the Masters when they can

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I expect the level in viewing figures on Sky will not please the governing bodies - that's what happens when it's on subscription.

Hopefully BBC can pick it and go back to all four days and the audience widens back up.

I'm not sure the governing bodies control too much what happens at Augusta.

I think they are the one place that can afford to refuse the money and actually revel the added exclusivity a lack of coverage would provide.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site

I'd actually love to see channel 4 or 5 take a run at gaining golf. They are two channels who are taking on genres and ideas rather than ejecting them. I don't watch it but they (C5) breathed life into the likes of Big Brother and continued it's success though maybe not to the levels C4 had in the beginning.

I really dont mind some adverts etc, bbc sometimes heaped in uninteresting stuff that didn't add much value. The swilken burn clip that they showed showed and reshowed springs to mind when last at St Andrews.

D

Deleted member 23270

With Sky's new pricing structure I reckon all those overpaid Premiership prima donnas will be pooing their pants that their massive contracts will soon disappear :rofl:

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd actually love to see channel 4 or 5 take a run at gaining golf. They are two channels who are taking on genres and ideas rather than ejecting them. I don't watch it but they (C5) breathed life into the likes of Big Brother and continued it's success though maybe not to the levels C4 had in the beginning.

I really dont mind some adverts etc, bbc sometimes heaped in uninteresting stuff that didn't add much value. The swilken burn clip that they showed showed and reshowed springs to mind when last at St Andrews.

Yeah C4 do a great job with the Paralympics and the cricket and Ch5 we're pretty decent with football when they did some so would certainly prefer to see them talk on some golf instead of Sky

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Heard a good podcast about this recently. The PGA are looking to effectively control the broadcast of their product themselves and the model of selling the exclusive rights to the highest TV company is probably numbered. Companies like Facebook and Twitter are entering the market which will shake things up a bit.

The model up to yet has very much been to target a relatively small but mostly affluent bunch golf fans who will pay to watch your product via Sky TV. But that is probably not sustainable in the long term if the game is not engaging with the future viewers of tomorrow. Seems it may be moving more to try and get their product viewed/streamed by a wider (and younger) section of the population. And the social media companies will play a large part in this.

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Heard a good podcast about this recently. The PGA are looking to effectively control the broadcast of their product themselves and the model of selling the exclusive rights to the highest TV company is probably numbered. Companies like Facebook and Twitter are entering the market which will shake things up a bit.

The model up to yet has very much been to target a relatively small but mostly affluent bunch golf fans who will pay to watch your product via Sky TV. But that is probably not sustainable in the long term if the game is not engaging with the future viewers of tomorrow. Seems it may be moving more to try and get their product viewed/streamed by a wider (and younger) section of the population. And the social media companies will play a large part in this.

Of the youngsters still won't watch it what with so much choice out there via social media and streaming etc and those that did watch it on Sky etc won't so they could have even less viewers in the short / medium term.

D

Deleted member 15344

Of the youngsters still won't watch it what with so much choice out there via social media and streaming etc and those that did watch it on Sky etc won't so they could have even less viewers in the short / medium term.

If it's on You Tube etc where the viewing will no doubt be free why would the figures be less ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it's on You Tube etc where the viewing will no doubt be free why would the figures be less ?

Rubbish broadband connection for many meaning the golf would be unwatchable. It would be there but buffering and iffy pictures mean it would not be worth trying. Fine for those who have great speeds.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Plenty of older folk who watch on sky wont watch on youtube etc. My father fits 100% into this category and he wont be alone. If this group outnumbers the new viewers (at least initially) then the figure will be less

D

Deleted member 16999

It would be free on Youtube with adverts, the main thing people moan about with Sky is adverts :confused:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rubbish broadband connection for many meaning the golf would be unwatchable. It would be there but buffering and iffy pictures mean it would not be worth trying. Fine for those who have great speeds.

Add in to that a lack of awareness for many of where it is, and most will assume it's simply not being screened, especially in older demographics. Ad in obtrusive (possibly) advertising from the youtube/FB platform and it isn't making for an ideal viewing spectacle.

The BBC won't touch it no matter how some still bang on about them. That ship has long sailed. I doubt if C4/5 would pick it up, especially as a one off as again it doesn't seem to fit their plans and seems doubtful they'd pool resource/cost into something with limited viewing appeal. Again as a viewer were that to happen I think the limitless ad breaks would make it poor viewing

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Plenty of older folk who watch on sky wont watch on youtube etc. My father fits 100% into this category and he wont be alone. If this group outnumbers the new viewers (at least initially) then the figure will be less

I expect the PGA have decided that it is prepared to take a short term hit to try and get growth in the long term. Also from a global perspective that I am sure the PGA are looking at this from, it might be the case that old folks who won't use social media in the Uk are a market they may be do not care a huge amount about, again in the long term. They may be targeting those demographics that advertisers like as that is how social media companies make their money, not through subscription services.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Add in to that a lack of awareness for many of where it is, and most will assume it's simply not being screened, especially in older demographics. Ad in obtrusive (possibly) advertising from the youtube/FB platform and it isn't making for an ideal viewing spectacle.

The BBC won't touch it no matter how some still bang on about them. That ship has long sailed. I doubt if C4/5 would pick it up, especially as a one off as again it doesn't seem to fit their plans and seems doubtful they'd pool resource/cost into something with limited viewing appeal. Again as a viewer were that to happen I think the limitless ad breaks would make it poor viewing

I somehow doubt that the PGA see Channel 5 as the future to be honest....;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I expect the PGA have decided that it is prepared to take a short term hit to try and get growth in the long term. Also from a global perspective that I am sure the PGA are looking at this from, it might be the case that old folks who won't use social media in the Uk are a market they may be do not care a huge amount about, again in the long term.

gotta love the lets screw over our existing customers to chase those who dont actually really want to be customers strategy :)

Hacker Khan

Visit site
gotta love the lets screw over our existing customers to chase those who dont actually really want to be customers strategy :)

I expect there will be some kind of transition period where highlights are still available on 'normal' TV for us old fogies. It seems to be all about different platforms now, not just relying on one exclusive one.