Us pga black out

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's some right pish wrote on here
How much coverage did golf used to get on terrestrial TV then??
Take away majors , or the old benson & hedges or whatever it was, then I'd say next to zilch

Sky has brought golf and golf coverage to a different level
It's been great for the game
( unlike what has happened to football )
To get European tour and us tour events every week is fantastic

If you want it
Pay for it
If you don't
Just shut up and don't whinge
It ain't coming back to the BBC anytime soon
They've no interest

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think some of the views on here are pretty short sighted if you want plenty of golf on TV. You get the amount of golf thst is currently on Sky because they can show the crown Jewel events that attract subscribers. You take away tbe big events and there will be little benefit to Sky in showing the week in week out events. Pretty much the same with any sport, take away the tests and there is no incentive to cover county cricket, ditch the premiership and there is no incentive to show lower league football. So which is better, pretty much every event live on Sky or a couple of events on BBC.

This is coming from someobe who does not have Sky Sports.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good move if this goes to bbc.. the most boring major of the 4 and would boost interest if it's free to air

Win win

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I think some of the views on here are pretty short sighted if you want plenty of golf on TV. You get the amount of golf thst is currently on Sky because they can show the crown Jewel events that attract subscribers. You take away tbe big events and there will be little benefit to Sky in showing the week in week out events. Pretty much the same with any sport, take away the tests and there is no incentive to cover county cricket, ditch the premiership and there is no incentive to show lower league football. So which is better, pretty much every event live on Sky or a couple of events on BBC.

This is coming from someobe who does not have Sky Sports.

Weirdly enough I suspect I used to watch just as much live golf when I was growing up on the BBC as I do now, even though I have Sky Sports. I just don't have the time or inclination to watch yet another 72 hole stroke play tournament on some pretty non descript US courses week in week out or a sparsely attended European event. But other views are available. Quality not quantity for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Take away majors , or the old benson & hedges or whatever it was, then I'd say next to zilch

If you want it
Pay for it
If you don't
They've no interest

Totally agree except it's going to the BBC for the USPGA. Expect snoring Alliss and Brown rolling balls, hitting putts and other jaded coverage. Give me the modern way Sky are doing it and the graphics and coverage. Far superior and I would love to see some figures about take up of the game on the BBC mediocre coverage v Sky coverage.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you should take a step back from your anti-Sky views and try to look a bit more dispassionately rather than finding fault with everything. The dedicated golf channel is an interesting idea but will depend on what sort of content they have (SS4 showed a lot of golf but was by no means exclusive) far too early for anyone to know if it'll be a success or not.

You really can't dismiss their commitment to golf - they show 1000s of hours more live golf every year than any other broadcaster in this country ever did - Majors, Ryder/Solheim cups, PGA Tour, ET Tour, LPGA, LET, EuroPro, hell even the Trilby Tour (yes the dedicated sport channel allows them to do that when the BBC obviously couldn't but it's still hugely significant). They were instrumental in re-establishing the British Masters, it simply wouldn't happen without their sponsorship and they provide 1000s of free tickets and make it into a real event with the level of coverage.

They are obviously paying a lot of money to cover the Open so of course they're not going to make the final day free. But, from what I read on here, anyone with a Now TV box could get yesterday's coverage for free.

The actual coverage seems a more subjective matter and I understand that some people don't like change but I think they've really modernised it, brought some good innovations in and, with the exception of the adverts obviously, I think it is head and shoulders better than the tired coverage the BBC were churning out year after year. As far as presenters and commentary team goes it's all about opinions but, in reality, it's all much of a muchness - some better than others on both channels.

Beyond the golf coverage, I really like the BBC so If they are getting the PGA I hope they are taking a long look at how they cover golf and try to improve it. However, I suspect they will show less golf with poorer coverage than we'd get with Sky. Time will tell.
What she said.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sky already had a channel that just showed Golf - it was called Sky Sports 4 , all they have done now is call it something different, put new graphics on and call it dedicated - they did stop the vt saying with all the major golf comps on one channel though. "Commitment" to golf - how about they show real commitment and allow the Open on Sunday for example to be free to non subscribers? It would certainly help the poor viewing figures which are going to get worse now that people don't have to buy the full sports package and can do without the "dedicated" golf channel ( without one major and possibly a second )

As for the US PGA - whilst it doesn't have the history or prestige of the other three it does though have the strongest field in all the majors and has produced some cracking finishes just like they all have - to suggest it isn't in the top 6 most important comps is laughable - would suggest that the players would think you're talking out of your rear. But I reckon it just bitterness because Sky are loosing it to what looks like the BBC and it will become the most watched major/golf comp now
It isn't what the players think that's important. It's what the paying golf fans think, even if those thoughts come out of their rear. I would put the PGA Championship behind the Ryder Cup, The Open, the Masters, the US Open, the Players and possibly even the FedEx Cup. That's not to say it isn't a great tournament, just not in the class of the others.
Why would I be bitter about Sky losing it and it going to the BBC? I get BBC as well. I have no choice. It's free apparently.
If you really think Sky should pay God knows how much for exclusive rights to show live coverage of the Open and then let non subscribers have the climax for free, you really don't understand business. Perhaps you have forgotten who Sky pay all this money to and how that cash is used to grow the game.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will they show any more actual live golf on this channel ? The content will be no different - just repeated , i expect there will be no difference from what it was as SS4
They say they are going to have content like instruction, news, interviews etc. We will see. Personally I really enjoyed the Golf Channel when we could get it here and if it's anything like that model (with less adverts) it will be great.
Lets be honest. No-one else is going to have a dedicated Channel for golf in the U.K. so I don't understand why we should be having a downer on Sky for doing so. In fact it's actually quite a bizarre opinion to be expressed on a golf forum.
I would also add that if you want to engage kids in golf you really need to show the fun side of the game. Sky do try with this, with golf and other sports. Di Stewart hosts a program aimed at kids. I have seen lots of kids asking questions of the stars during Open Zone this week. They also make great efforts with female participation with their Sportswomen initiative. I do understand why the BBC can't do this but the fact is Sky do.

DCB

Visit site

If you want it
Pay for it
If you don't
They've no interest

Great post. The BBC have no interest in showing any live sport unless it's from Wimbledon or Davis Cup tennis when GB are doing well. Golf was never high on the list of live coverage other than three or maybe four events in the year. We've been fortunate to live through an era when live coverage was excellent and the top players of that era made live golf a truly great event to watch. Hopefully golf can survive into a new era as new superstars take centre stage and the old guard pass into the history books. One thing is for sure, if it gets air time, people will still watch, whatever is on offer.

D

Deleted member 15344

It isn't what the players think that's important. It's what the paying golf fans think, even if those thoughts come out of their rear. I would put the PGA Championship behind the Ryder Cup, The Open, the Masters, the US Open, the Players and possibly even the FedEx Cup. That's not to say it isn't a great tournament, just not in the class of the others.
Why would I be bitter about Sky losing it and it going to the BBC? I get BBC as well. I have no choice. It's free apparently.
If you really think Sky should pay God knows how much for exclusive rights to show live coverage of the Open and then let non subscribers have the climax for free, you really don't understand business. Perhaps you have forgotten who Sky pay all this money to and how that cash is used to grow the game.

Sorry but the US PGA is a major - it's the one major that is open to everyone and always has the biggest widest open field - to suggest it behind the Players and the Fed Ex is laughable - especially when both of those are only open to US PGA Tour members and not to players who are members of ET , Asia Tour etc. Yes it hasn't got the prestige of the other three majors but it's still a major and one the every single player would love to win. Can't compare the Ryder Cup to the majors as they are totally different events.

As for showing things for free - BT sports pay through the nose for Prem League and CL as well as for Rugby events - every now and then they allow it to be watched by people who don't subscribe to BT sports - for free.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry but the US PGA is a major - it's the one major that is open to everyone and always has the biggest widest open field - to suggest it behind the Players and the Fed Ex is laughable - especially when both of those are only open to US PGA Tour members and not to players who are members of ET , Asia Tour etc. Yes it hasn't got the prestige of the other three majors but it's still a major and one the every single player would love to win. Can't compare the Ryder Cup to the majors as they are totally different events.

As for showing things for free - BT sports pay through the nose for Prem League and CL as well as for Rugby events - every now and then they allow it to be watched by people who don't subscribe to BT sports - for free.

Sky will occasionally show a game or two on sky 1 free to view for anyone with noraml sky.

From what I've seen of BT, they show the finals free, which they are obligated to do. Haven't seen any other games free with football at least.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sky will occasionally show a game or two on sky 1 free to view for anyone with noraml sky.

From what I've seen of BT, they show the finals free, which they are obligated to do. Haven't seen any other games free with football at least.

Every now and then they have a free weekend or free day where either the sat or Sunday is just free for all so can watch any event that is on that day for free as well as the CL games they show

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Every now and then they have a free weekend or free day where either the sat or Sunday is just free for all so can watch any event that is on that day for free as well as the CL games they show

I have seen them show rugby. Never a premier league game.

Considering the football is what drives the price up. I'd be surprised if they show any game for free that they don't have too.

This is off track though.

I think that the pga championship is probably the least anticipated (by the fans), will be interesting to see how bbc are allowed to show it. If they have to use a suppliers feed i cant see it being any better/worse than skys.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
They say they are going to have content like instruction, news, interviews etc. We will see. Personally I really enjoyed the Golf Channel when we could get it here and if it's anything like that model (with less adverts) it will be great.
Lets be honest. No-one else is going to have a dedicated Channel for golf in the U.K. so I don't understand why we should be having a downer on Sky for doing so. In fact it's actually quite a bizarre opinion to be expressed on a golf forum.
I would also add that if you want to engage kids in golf you really need to show the fun side of the game. Sky do try with this, with golf and other sports. Di Stewart hosts a program aimed at kids. I have seen lots of kids asking questions of the stars during Open Zone this week. They also make great efforts with female participation with their Sportswomen initiative. I do understand why the BBC can't do this but the fact is Sky do.

:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Well said. While the Golf Channel was primarily US fed, it still had some good stuff and if Sky are doing it you'd hope there would be stuff that's more relevant to a UK viewer. As you say we'll wait and see. I agree with everything FD and you said. It's a fact that with interactive TV and ways to watch coverage only going to get better then more kids will get to see golf anyway, but it has to be interesting to get their attention and this is what differs between the Sky and BBC coverage

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder what would happen if Sky showed Saturdays for free and advertised the one day pass for NOW TV regularly thorough the broadcast.

G

guest100718

the sky golf was a bit mnf in places but other than that it seemed pretty much same as BBC
except with some annoying bloke reporting from the course.