US Open 2023

sunshine

Visit site
How do people see Rory as a favourite? Not being funny but he’s the last person I’d put my money on. Love to see Hatton win it.
Because he’s usually in contention and has won 4 majors.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the final group on Sunday night. Just like at the Memorial last week. Booming massive drives down the middle of the fairway, only having a wedge in so able to attack the pins. But then scrambling to save par while everyone else at the top of the leaderboard is making birdies.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Glorious.
The contours at LACC are used incredibly. Well worth watching the Fried Egg video regarding the architecture, or the Golf Digest hole by hole.

The comments on the tweet make me chuckle

Should make for good viewing but if that's the biggest talking point it seems 'easier' than other set-ups in recent years.
Our SI1 par 5 has left-right fairway slope way more severe than that video & I'd have thought lots of courses have that as a feature on a hole or two

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Should make for good viewing but if that's the biggest talking point it seems 'easier' than other set-ups in recent years.
Our SI1 par 5 has left-right fairway slope way more severe than that video & I'd have thought lots of courses have that as a feature on a hole or two

Agree...there is some thick rough, but it's more around the greens than off the fairway.
Really looking forward to seeing the pros play it, as it's much more about contours to help feed the ball in on a lot of holes, rather than target golf. Just a shame about the time difference

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Think Scheffler is a good shout, followed by Spieth, Bryson and Brooks; not sure Rahm will cope brilliantly with seeing good shots punished and Hovland's work around the greens has improved but maybe not to the standard required to win this week. Not sure of Rory's chances, think they are pretty slim to be honest - air mailing the green long (or short) will be severely punished and with his tee length the wedges will be in use a lot. If he makes the cut and is in the mix on Sunday, he will need to be a different player than he has been recently when in contention. Also have a feeling that Smith will have a very good tournament.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Koepka looks so comfortable within himself - the only risk is he becomes too relaxed, but I can’t see it.
He’ll be a popular pick on the weekends bet slips.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Having watched a few YT vids of this course. It’s a flushers course. Whoever wins will need to be exceptional with mid to long irons and have a sharp wedge game.

Brooks will be in with a good chance. Scottie will too if he has a half decent putting week.

Springveldt

Visit site

Glorious.
The contours at LACC are used incredibly. Well worth watching the Fried Egg video regarding the architecture, or the Golf Digest hole by hole.

The comments on the tweet make me chuckle
That's not demanding, it's just unfair. If dropping a ball from waist high causes it to run off the fairway, what chance does a tee shot have of staying on?

As for predication, I think Scheffler is the man to beat. If he plays as well as he has tee to green this year and putts even middle of the pack he will win.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
That's not demanding, it's just unfair. If dropping a ball from waist high causes it to run off the fairway, what chance does a tee shot have of staying on?

As for predication, I think Scheffler is the man to beat. If he plays as well as he has tee to green this year and putts even middle of the pack he will win.

I agree, I don't mind in fact quite like courses that really punishes bad shots, or has real risk and reward type shots. But if you can absolutely stripe a ball down the middle of the fairway and end up in the rough, what does that actually do for the game

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What TM, and a lot of other people have not understood, is that there is 25/30 yards of fairway to the left of this drop off which is where you want the ball to be, so you can see the green. Also, the chances of a ball dropping like this in the competition will be unlikely. The ball will have some forward momentum. It's a choice for the player. Hit short of the slope that feeds to the right, and have a longer shot in....or take it on and risk going down the dell and have a blind shot if you don't get it right. Will be great to see those who can execute, and those who don't