Urgent Help Needed

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Mods, please feel free to remove is this post violates any T&Cs.

I found out over the weekend that Leeds City Council are planning to close the municipal courses at Temple Newsam in Leeds. This is a 9-hole & 18-hole course open to all, as well as home to Temple Newsam Golf Club, which will have to close as a result. This is all to make way for some kind of bike park with trails. Now, I am also a mountain biker, and we already have a very good bike park up at Middleton. Couple this with the loss of a good course (Alastair MacKenzie designed), as well as they have already taken 9 holes back (used to be 2 18-hole courses), and I believe the council are being very short-sighted. The club have started a petition, and have offered a compromise where they will relinquish the 9-hole course. Even if you don't play in Leeds, I urge you to sign, as other councils could look at this and feel emboldened to do the same. I would also urge any Leeds residents here to contact your local councillors and urge them to oppose these plans.

Sign here https://www.change.org/p/stop-leeds-city-council-potential-closure-of-temple-newsam-golf-club-course

Thank you.

Michael

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Signed.
Never played Temple Newsam, but where I'm from there's a municipal course being built over with houses (Bradley Park - Huddersfield). Great facility that will be a sad loss for many local golfers.

The Fader

Visit site
Potentially sad news as I learnt my golf there.

In its halcyon days it was a contender to host the 1937 Ryder Cup.

However when you read about the current usage in the council report (less than 7000 pay and play rounds last year - less than 20 per day on average) you can see why it is under threat in these days of ever tightening public service budgets.

https://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/documents/s195858/Temple Newsam Cover Report 041019.pdf

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think it needs (needed) more people to show their feelings by turning up and playing it rather than a petition.
If it's not making lots of money (to fund other projects) then golf courses are generally to large to ignore as alternative use and are (IMO) definitely not suitable for shared use (Merrick and Queens Park in Bournemouth are serious accidents waiting to happen and when one sadely, and inevitably does, they will probably close as well).

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Definitely not Temple Newsam. Think you might be thinking of Oulton Hall??
Definitely not Temple Newsam. Think you might be thinking of Oulton Hall??

Yep it was Oulton hall - didnt know if they may have changed names.

I was shocked to found out the Oulton had previously been a muni of 36 holes, never heard of that before, at the time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you read the report it is easy to understand the councils logic in the proposals.

It is very easy for us golfers to jump up and down about it but when you think about how much it costs to provide this facility it is difficult or justify keeping it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Convert the 9 hole course for 'social care'. Sell the 18 hole course and Temple Newsam House for a golf hotel facility.

But I do wonder what the whole conversion will cost annually. £200.000+ ?