Upcoming live concerts.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got back from seeing The Musical Box (Genesis tribute) doing the re-creation of the Selling England tour at the Hammersith Apollo. Individually excellent musicians and very faithful re-creation - but the whole was spoiled by dreadful sound balancing. Came away before the end as couldn't stand any more torture of one of my favourite albums ...
Probably sounds better on stage behind the front line speakers, a good sound engineer on the mixing desk makes the difference.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
May - Eddie Tenpole. I'm literally FRONT AND CENTRE.
December - Bad Manners. We are booked in for an overnight stay as well. Gonna be a gud un

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Just got back from seeing The Musical Box (Genesis tribute) doing the re-creation of the Selling England tour at the Hammersith Apollo. Individually excellent musicians and very faithful re-creation - but the whole was spoiled by dreadful sound balancing. Came away before the end as couldn't stand any more torture of one of my favourite albums ...
Was this another case of (a) drums and bass too loud for the rest of the instruments, plus (b) whole band too loud for the vocals?
Seems all too common these days. It's almost as if we have an entire generation of FOH "sound engineers" who think their job is simply to push every fader up to 11.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
A woman of impeccable taste. From what I know so far the set lists are going to be fluid each night and there are plans for some of the Marillion stuff to get an airing most nights
Well, she married me so I guess that must be true.
But on the other hand she also watches EastEnders and Neighbours.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was this another case of (a) drums and bass too loud for the rest of the instruments, plus (b) whole band too loud for the vocals?
Seems all too common these days. It's almost as if we have an entire generation of FOH "sound engineers" who think their job is simply to push every fader up to 11.
Yep. Drums and bass (especially the bass) completely overwhelmed the lead, keyboard, & vocals. At times, could hear naff all of the latter three ...

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Booked for the Lidifarne Festival again and picked up a couple of tickets for a Pink Floyd tribute band (Brit Floyd) at the Glasshouse in Gateshead but that's not until November.
There's an underground US band playing in Newcastle this Wednesday, went completely under my radar and it's sold out. Absolutely gutted as I've been wanting to see them for years :cry:

Grizzly

Visit site
not me, but i have just bought my eldest a ticket for Stevie Nicks

Saw she was playing Hyde Park. Only thing I'd say is, when she supported Tom Petty there a few years back her voice was already struggling to cut through the air.

Grizzly

Visit site
In other news, a trip to see Enslaved, Svalbard and Wayfarer on Wednesday night, then the mighty Cattle Decapitation on Friday!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Booked for the Lidifarne Festival again and picked up a couple of tickets for a Pink Floyd tribute band (Brit Floyd) at the Glasshouse in Gateshead but that's not until November.
There's an underground US band playing in Newcastle this Wednesday, went completely under my radar and it's sold out. Absolutely gutted as I've been wanting to see them for years :cry:
Brit Floyd are decent

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Not got much coming up this year, just The Skints, Metallica twice, Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Alkaline Trio, Apocalyptica and managed to get Bullet for my Valentine / Trivium double headliner tickets for next year.

That and a whole host of theatre, god knows when I'll have time for golf!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not got much coming up this year, just The Skints, Metallica twice, Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Alkaline Trio, Apocalyptica and managed to get Bullet for my Valentine / Trivium double headliner tickets for next year.

That and a whole host of theatre, god knows when I'll have time for golf!

Where are you seeing Metallica?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Going tonight to see them at Guildford GLive. My lad’s doing the tour and says they’ve been happy with the sound - and so if such as the Steve Hackett guitar part is down in the mix then that’s probably how it would have been when Genesis originally toured the album. They are meticulous in their re-enactments of the original shows.

Indeed when I listen to my original vinyl copy of the album Hackett’s guitar on such as Firth of Fifth is actually not as up front as he makes it in his own shows, and how I’ve got used to hearing it.

That said, I shall report back my findings and as I have a guest ticket I should be well placed to hear, and Selling England by the Pound is by far my ‘most listened to’ album of all the hundreds I have…I know it inside out.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going tonight to see them at Guildford GLive. My lad’s doing the tour and says they’ve been happy with the sound - and so if such as the Steve Hackett guitar part is down in the mix then that’s probably how it would have been when Genesis originally toured the album. They are meticulous in their re-enactments of the original shows.

Indeed when I listen to my original vinyl copy of the album Hackett’s guitar on such as Firth of Fifth is actually not as up front as he makes it in his own shows, and how I’ve got used to hearing it.

That said, I shall report back my findings and as I have a guest ticket I should be well placed to hear, and Selling England by the Pound is by far my ‘most listened to’ album of all the hundreds I have…I know it inside out.
Maybe it's just how it sounded at the Apollo?

Selling England is the best album Genesis did (IMO) and is one of my favourite albums. We had good seats - and if you listened carefully - very carefully - the individual performances were spot on. But the vocals, lead & keyboards were completely overwhelmed by the bass & drums. Certainly the album doesn't sound like that (but then, of course, it wouldn’t) but I don't recall the live performance sounding like that either. (Admittedly it was 50 years ago though ... :). Jeez, it it really 50 years since I saw the Selling England tour - twice?)