Unsubmitted score

berniethebolt

Visit site
On Tuesday I played in a Seniors Open at an away club and as a result I think my handicap index will change. Unfortunately the club has not yet submitted the scores. I am playing in another Seniors Open tomorrow and my problem is what handicap index do I use - my existing one according to England golf or what I think is my new one? As I remember under the old system you were expected to cut yourself if appropriate but not increase. Is this still the process?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You calculate a new one - as best you can as you will not know any PCC - however as a PCC seems to be a rare thing I think you'll be OK.

You may well know how to calculate it but here is what I myself have done for me for tomorrow.

Today I played a course with a CR of 70.3 and a Slope of 127. I scored 79. My differential for today will be (79-70.3)*113/127 = 7.74

This is better than my current worst of my 'eight best/counting' scores which is 9.0. So my 7.74 will count and I will discard the 9.0. To determine the change to my HI I calculate (9.0-7.74)/8 = 0.1575

So my current HI of 8.8 is reduced by 0.1575 so becomes 8.64 which rounds down to 8.6 - my new HI (note - I am only assuming I round down - I am not 100% sure on that - I think that I am OK with the rest of my calc)

Last edited:

IanMcC

Visit site
The above is admirable, of course, but I can see most clubs rejecting the unofficial figure and insisting on the official index from the governing body.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You calculate a new one - as best you can as you will not know any PCC - however as a PCC seems to be a rare thing I think you'll be OK.

You may well know how to calculate it but here is what I myself have done for me for tomorrow.

Today I played a course with a CR of 70.3 and a Slope of 127. I scored 79. My differential for today will be (79-70.3)*113/127 = 7.74

This is better than my current worst of my 'eight best/counting' scores which is 9.0. So my 7.74 will count and I will discard the 9.0. To determine the change to my HI I calculate (9.0-7.74)/8 = 0.1575

So my current HI of 8.8 is reduced by 0.1575 so becomes 8.64 which rounds down to 8.6 - my new HI (note - I am only assuming I round down - I am not 100% sure on that - I think that I am OK with the rest of my calc)

I can't reference this from a written source at the moment, but am saying with some confidence that players are not required to recalculate their handicap index and should not do so.

That makes sense as it is too complex a process to expect everyone to be able to carry out - as is demonstrated even by the shortcut calculation you describe. Even for those who can understand and make that calculation, your method isn't actually adequate. Add in, for example, consideration of the possibility of an exceptional score reduction, a cap being applied to an increase, someone with only a few scores in their record moving from a two stroke to a one stroke reduction and you realise just how complicated it can be.

Any diligent club will check the HIs of competitors in an Open. Your advice, if taken, would lead to a disqualification if the new index resulted in someone playing off a higher handicap than shown in their WHS record.

A player's HI is what is showing in their WHS record on the day of the competition.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My understanding was that the figure shown on the WHS hub is the figure to be used.
Well I only said what I did as I am sure that I have read on here recently that we should calculate an updated hi as we, as players, are responsible for it being correct.

But I stand corrected.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am sure I read on here even more recently that we should calculate an update ... but he now stands corrected. :).
What do I do if I know 100% that my HI on WHS is wrong due to an error when inputting my scorecard that I cannot correct or get corrected in time for when I need it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do I do if I know 100% that my HI on WHS is wrong due to an error when inputting my scorecard that I cannot correct or get corrected in time for when I need it.
Exactly how would you correct it ? How would you know if your card or any other player's faulty card would have affected any PCC, in addition to those factors mentioned by Colin L in #4

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don’t know the answer to the question regarding self calculation and disclosure of likely HI, but I do know that I have yet to come across a score not being uploaded to the WHS platform. The only reason I can think of would be that the club running the Open have yet to put the scores into their computer system (and did the results process manually?).
I would be inclined to get in touch with the handicap secretary / organiser and find out the reason for the scores not being uploaded.

D

Deleted member 3432

It will show up on your record at some stage, wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sure speed of uploading comp scores will vary from club to club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly how would you correct it ? How would you know if your card or any other player's faulty card would have affected any PCC, in addition to those factors mentioned by Colin L in #4
I entered a scorecard but was having internet connection issues as I did. I checked things later that evening and spotted that a correction I thought I'd made had not got through and so my total was wrong. I could not correct my entry and I knew that my WHS HI calculated overnight would be wrong - and my CH based on that incorrect HI would be wrong. Playing very early next morning neither our pro shop or office would be open for them to correct the error. What do I do?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is old and and out old date info. The requirement to self adjust went out with the WHS.

berniethebolt

Visit site
Thanks for the comments. My feeling was a certain lack of confidence in being able to recalculate a handicap and also that the second club would not accept an unsupported recalculation. My concern was that I might be playing off a too high handicap but if the requirement to self adjust is no longer operational then that is not a problem.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have just found the response to a question I asked EG in January.

"No self-adjusting in WHS."
So if I know my HI on WHS is 'wrong' given it is based upon a mistake in my entering my scorecard and I realise this before I play in a comp, but I am unable to get hold of someone to correct the mistake - what do I do?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So if I know my HI on WHS is 'wrong' given it is based upon a mistake in my entering my scorecard and I realise this before I play in a comp, but I am unable to get hold of someone to correct the mistake - what do I do?

its a players like responsibility to check their card before submitting it. You will play off, in the competition, whatever your index is showing on that day.

you keep asking the same question, but the answer doesnt change. You play off what the database shows you on that day. End.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure whether England Golf and Scottish are synchronized now but the course played was not N or S of the border to where you play?