Under armour site glitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Some people’s orders are out for shipment and have had an email saying their order has been cancelled

Absolute mess

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think there are a few harsh posts regarding this. The price came up on a Sunday. The UA people would not be working then and so would not see the issue until Monday when they returned to work. Pretty much everyone on here has ordered knowing there was a good chance it was an error and with the expectation that their orders will not be fulfilled. Why be outraged when what you though would happen has actually happened?

I suspect UA spent Monday resolving the error and then starting to roll out a response to the many, many people who ordered. They could not have fulfilled the orders, everyone here knew the prices were bonkers. They perhaps could have worded the generic email better but still, surely the reply was what was expected?

Don’t agree with this at all. Why set your prices to change on a Sunday if no one is there to check it has gone through properly. That’s poor for a start. If they had IT or bare bones staff on a Sunday then one of them should have alerted the appropriate staff immediately. There’s no way they didn’t know it was happening. Even the social media teams would have picked it up.

They could have put a stop on sales on Sunday, or put out a website message, or put out a social media post. But they didn’t do anything. That’s pretty poor.

The low price items were on less popular colours. So it wasn’t a global glitch. That alone was enough to make people believe this was genuine. So you are wrong that everyone knew it was a glitch. The glitch stuff only started coming out later in the day/ next day.

Whatever was going on UA have had plenty of time to take corrective action and manage their PR. They have done that very very poorly. Really poorly (as evidenced from the spate of one star reviews).

People have a right to feel aggrieved. They thought they were getting a fantastic bargain. Instead they got shafted. It would not have felt like that if they had of handled the customers with some respect.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think there are a few harsh posts regarding this. The price came up on a Sunday. The UA people would not be working then and so would not see the issue until Monday when they returned to work. Pretty much everyone on here has ordered knowing there was a good chance it was an error and with the expectation that their orders will not be fulfilled. Why be outraged when what you though would happen has actually happened?

I suspect UA spent Monday resolving the error and then starting to roll out a response to the many, many people who ordered. They could not have fulfilled the orders, everyone here knew the prices were bonkers. They perhaps could have worded the generic email better but still, surely the reply was what was expected?

I work in eCommerce, specifically IT.

if Underarmours monitoring, alerting, webanalytics platform, out of hours on call teams etc could not spot hude volumes of web traffic, orders being placed and many other indicators....

Well that’s pretty shabby. The public response is very poor also.

Pricing errors happen. I’ve experienced a good few on single items. Nothing on this scale fortunately.

To lose half a warehouse full of stock because people dont work weekends is an absolute howler.

I ordered some gear personally. If it does not arrive well nothing ventured etc. I’m not fussed personally.

However underarmour probably deserve the shoeing they are currently getting for this debacle

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I work in eCommerce, specifically IT.

if Underarmours monitoring, alerting, webanalytics platform, out of hours on call teams etc could not spot hude volumes of web traffic, orders being placed and many other indicators....

Well that’s pretty shabby. The public response is very poor also.

Pricing errors happen. I’ve experienced a good few on single items. Nothing on this scale fortunately.

To lose half a warehouse full of stock because people dont work weekends is an absolute howler.

I ordered some gear personally. If it does not arrive well nothing ventured etc. I’m not fussed personally.

However underarmour probably deserve the shoeing they are currently getting for this debacle

Exactly

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
So it turned out to be a glitch. there was a massive chance this was going to be the case.

It as still worth a punt in case it was a genuine clearance sale.

Anyone getting the pitchforks out because UA wont honour this deal needs to get real.

It’s how they dealt with their customers which is why people have the pitchforks out though

D

Deleted member 21258

Good post and agree 100%.

What is a shame is they didn't offer the people a discount on their next order or the like is beyond me.

And would love to see the email comment 'we took your money but not accepted your order' tested in a court of law under contract law.....

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The low price items were on less popular colours. So it wasn’t a global glitch. That alone was enough to make people believe this was genuine. So you are wrong that everyone knew it was a glitch. The glitch stuff only started coming out later in the day/ next day.

That's the thing, it was only certain (not as popular) colours on selected items, for all I knew it could have been dusty old stock from 2017. Yes it certainly seemed too good to be true but I've seen crazy sales on other website before which have been bona fida.
I'm not really gutted, it was a punt but it's certainly made me think twice about ordering from them again...unless there's another flash sale of course :ROFLMAO:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't see anyone with "pitch forks" out.

What I see is a company who are making a bad situation worse. I still haven't had an email from them nor have I had a refund. Three days later (4 if I count Sunday) and not even an acknowledgement or an apology.

They have taken my money and are happy to hang on to it and yet they've not had the decency to tell me that my order isn't being fulfilled. That is piss poor service.

I accept that I won't get my two mid layers at £8.80 each. That isn't the issue for me.

D

Deleted member 15344

LT has it spot on

It was clearly a mistake on the webpage and people knew it so then order stuff hoping that it wouldn’t be noticed - it was and orders cancelled. The items are still there if you want to order them or only wanted them because they were cheap - that’s the way modern life is now , the want for cheaper Society we all live in.

I’m sure at some point in the future they will have a sale to enable cheap items to be bought.

D

Deleted member 16999

LT has it spot on

It was clearly a mistake on the webpage and people knew it so then order stuff hoping that it wouldn’t be noticed - it was and orders cancelled. The items are still there if you want to order them or only wanted them because they were cheap - that’s the way modern life is now , the want for cheaper Society we all live in.

I’m sure at some point in the future they will have a sale to enable cheap items to be bought.
Or maybe some people have a Under Armour account and have spent hundreds of pounds with them over the years!
Read what others have stated, it WASN’T the whole site, it WASN’T every size, it WASN’T every colour, it was only a few hundred items out of thousands on their website.

It goes both ways if people have brand loyalty and believe the sale is genuine, then you shouldn’t insinuate all were trying to pull a fast one.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was never convinced I would receive my order and it's no huge deal, no pitchforks but I do think they've handled it poorly.

1. Leaving the wrong prices up the whole day, OK it's Sunday but a global company should still have control of their website over the weekend.
2. Accept thousands of orders for the same products without it flagging up.
3. As soon as customer services opened on Monday they admitted they were aware there was a problem.
4. Despite being aware of the problems money still went from pending to withdrawn on Tuesday, so now have to wait for a refund.
5. Cancellation email on Wednesday although orders are still showing as processing on their website.
6. No confirmation it was a glitch/error/misprice, a simple admission their system messed up and an apology would have been nice rather than saying "your order has not been accepted".

Customers have lost nothing (except a potential bargain and their money for a few days), mistakes happen in all businesses but I think UA will have lost their reputation a bit with how they've handled the situation.

User20204

Visit site
Not read all the replies but does anyone else think this is data snatch from UA to grab all your email addressees ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
First of all. How does anyone know what hours under armour works? It was clear to me that it was a cheap sale as only the kak colours and sizes where available. To take your money and leave it 3 days to tell you they can't honour the order is poor. To make you wait another 5 days is even worse.

The email explaining my order was cancelled was very generic. At lease under armour could have dished out a few discount codes in way of an apology

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
LT has it spot on

It clearly wasn't a mistake. For eg the trainers I ordered where £115 in every colour apart from some dreadful orange ones reduced to £30. Golf trousers where £60 in all the nice colours apart from some baby blue ones for £15. As many have said, it didn't look like a computer error. Simply UA cleaning out their warehouse of crap no one was buying

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
LT has it spot on

Right. Stop the holier than now, right-on, members of the public are scavengers, and UA are just a poor wee multi billion pound multi national mega corp approach please Phil. Its crapola.

This did not appear like a pricing glitch to me when i ordered. The sale items were generally in garish colours or sizing and made them appear like legitimate sale items. Id dont buy into this baloney "this is modern life" stuff but ill comment on that at the below

If you take the events which have occurred in pure isolation from each other.

Having a pricing error is fine. It happens....

Or

Not spotting huge spikes in web traffic which is converting into actual physical transactions is fine. It happens (with poor Systems and processes)

Or

Failing to spot that you are trending all over social media, UKhotdeals etc is fine. It happens....

Or

Failing to admit culpability, responsibility and relying on a wall of silence as a comm's strategy is fine. It can happen....

Or

Taking a customers cash, email address, contact details etc etc. Is not fine, but it does happen.....

When you replace the above “or’s” to and “and”, like what has recently occurred........................Well it is not fine at all.

Underarmour have made a royal screw up across every facet of this incident.

Trust me Phil. I work in this world and heads will be rolling as we speak.

The brand and reputation damage that is occurring is a real thing that will have very negative short and medium term impact on underarmour's balance sheet in a bad way. of course people will forget in teh long term, however peeing off customers is just not the way to do buisness in any day and age, let alone because "its the modern world"

Retail is hard, it has always been hard and fundamentally any good organisation looks after its customers. Im not saying UA should honour the purchases, im saying the should not be taking this long to communicate sporadically to some, whilst accepting zero liability for it. Its shocking practice.

They should not be legally obliged to have to honour the orders as that means entire businesses could be at risk because of system errors and that is just asking fro trouble in the retail sector.

They should however own up, get on the front foot with better communications and ultimately try and appease the outcry that is occurring.

The fact they have not done this means they deserve a good shellacking on trust pilot and across social media.

Stop trying to make this into some form of a quasi-sociology crapoloa commentary on the "way things are these days"

Its always been like this and always will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.