Unable to replace ball in original position

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Now this actually happened at the weekend and none of us had a clue on what the actual ruling was.

So PP hits is approach about 10 yards past the pin pitching on the downslope and somehow stays in its own pitch mark. After marking his ball and repairing his pitch mark the ball would no longer come to rest in its original position, rolling down the slope back toward the hole. So my question is where should he of played from?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nearest point that it will come to rest NOT nearer the hole ,

Remember you cannot press the ball down to try get it to stay .. most will try id say

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Nearest point that it will come to rest NOT nearer the hole ,

Remember you cannot press the ball down to try get it to stay .. most will try id say

Interesting question, and I agree with the answer to date. However, if the player had not repaired the ball mark so well, the ball might have come to rest at the spot. If the spot is still identifiable as a ball mark, and as the Rules do not dictate how well a player must "repair" a ball mark, can the player "repair" it again such that the ball will stay in place? (See Decision 16-1c/1) Or is he in breach of Rule 1-2 for the second "repair"?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first repair has restored the surface sufficiently well that the ball will not stay at rest on it. I wouldn’t accept further action that worsened the surface such that the ball did stay on it, as a repair. A repair has to make something better, not worse.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
If it's been repaired then that's it, job done. If the ball can't be placed at rest then I think it has to be placed at the nearest point where it can (not nearer the hole). This could be considerably further away but that's just rub of the green.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interested in this scenario as I believe that the ball must be played where it comes to rest even if it is nearer the hole, await the ruling

You have had the correct ruling already - the very first response from bladeplayer....

You may be confusing the situation that would apply if a ball at rest were to start to roll again; but that is not the situation here.