Tyrell Hatton - Love him or hate him!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Talented golfer no doubt but is he too petulant for The Tour? Temperament is a big problem but I enjoy watching him. At times I want him to succeed but sometimes I have the opposite view.

Not an ideal example..

Any thoughts?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I like to see a bit of passion, but he does need to grow up and stop playing the spoilt brat.

Like it or not, he is a role model, so needs to start acting like one

D-S

Visit site
I love the way he always expresses surprise when the ball doesn’t follow the path he thought, it happens on lots of his missed putts. It never seems to occur to him that it just might be his or his caddies green reading skills or lack of them - it’s as if gravity works differently for him and him alone. Once or twice a round maybe but about half of his missed putts? Really?

D

Deleted member 15344

He is superb , has passion , part of his persona is getting angry at himself it gets him going , I’ll take him over any of the robots. It’s no different to have MCEnroe was - he is how 99.9% of us react

As long as he is treating the course and his opponents with respect then no issue

D

Deleted member 29109

Love him.

People complain there are no characters left in professional sports. Then when there is one, they complain about that too.

I quite like the fact he winds up the beige chino and Jacket brigade.

But, he is in danger of becoming the person people root against now many of the players who made it easy to dislike have left.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I like to see a bit of passion, but he does need to grow up and stop playing the spoilt brat.

Like it or not, he is a role model, so needs to start acting like one
I am so against this “role model’ stuff.

As far as I’m aware he bahaves off the course? When he crosses the line and causes damage by all means reprimand him, but as Both a kid and a parent I’ve never expected someone famous to be a role model. Hero, inspiration yes. But role model. Nope.

Last edited:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I am so against this “role model’ stuff.

As far as I’m aware he bagels off the course? When he crosses the line and causes damage by all means reprimand him, but as Both a kid and a parent I’ve never expected someone famous to be a role model. Hero, inspiration yes. But role model. Nope.

Like it or not, kids new to golf will see him and if it’s ok for him to do it, then they will view it as normal behaviour.

When you are in the public eye, you have a responsibility to those who would emulate you

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Kids don’t look at Hatton as a role model,sorry but that’s nonsense.
Much bigger problems for the youth of today than some golfer swearing & throwing a strop.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Like it or not, kids new to golf will see him and if it’s ok for him to do it, then they will view it as normal behaviour.

When you are in the public eye, you have a responsibility to those who would emulate you
I’m pretty sure the vocabulary of almost every child is dictated long before they start watching sports men and women.
Walk past any group of young kids in the streets and you’ll hear plenty of colourful language. I doubt they’ve all got it from the tv…

Hatton is generally only on screen when playing well and even then if you couple that with the fact he plays all over the world and two of the days he’s playing are school days and just how much influence can you realistically expect it to have.

pretty much every new golfer for the last decade highlights woods as their idol growing up. Do they all swear, spit and shag around?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have conflicting opinions due to him being a regular on our Ryder cup team and being British. If he were on the US Ryder cup team then I’d hate him, but as it is I want him to do well.

I always think what it’d be like to have him as a playing partner, and to be honest he’d do my nut in I think. I’ve played with a couple of whingers recently and it can affect your own game if you pay any sort of attention to it.

Overall though, I’d want him to do well.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did anyone see him smacking his putter off a green in an earlier round? I didn't but mate told me he had. Disgraceful behaviour that.

People say he has a tantrum then moves on. But, he virtually never has a smile on his face, miserable git.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m pretty sure the vocabulary of almost every child is dictated long before they start watching sports men and women.
Walk past any group of young kids in the streets and you’ll hear plenty of colourful language. I doubt they’ve all got it from the tv…

Hatton is generally only on screen when playing well and even then if you couple that with the fact he plays all over the world and two of the days he’s playing are school days and just how much influence can you realistically expect it to have.

pretty much every new golfer for the last decade highlights woods as their idol growing up. Do they all swear, spit and shag around?
Agreed - any parents who think that a sportsman is their child’s role model is abdicating their own responsibilities