Tyrell Hatton - Love him or hate him!

D

Deleted member 18121

Did Sky apologise for any offence we may have taken ?

One thing is certain - he would be banned from posting on Lounge.

Yes they did, every time. I think the line one of them used was "all too often" when talking about his language.

One view point is.... Maybe he does it so maybe he might get left alone from the mics and cameras.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't say I care for his vulgarity, especially the crude middle finger. I suppose it makes him stand out from the crowd, but not in a pleasant way. Tommy Fleetwood is a character too, and has a much more attractive personality.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Every time I see the toys being thrown all I can think of is Happy Gilmore. By all means have lengthy chats with the caddy but the Marcel Marceau act needs to stop.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve said it on these pages before, but what you see of Hatton on TV doesn’t even scratch the surface.

I’ve followed groups he has been in at two or three events in recent years and his behaviour on the golf course is absolutely appalling.

The experience I have of him is that he is a boorish lout on the golf course. He’s not a character, he’s not different. I’d go as far as to say that his behaviour would not be tolerated at the clubs most of us are members at.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don’t like him, hate’s too strong a word. There‘s a difference between being passionate about something and being emotional about it. Temper tantrums are uncontrolled emotion, and he sails either side of that line too often. I would find it distracting to be playing in the same group, and when I’ve experienced people like that in club golf I found it distracting, and I’ve told them to behave. Somebody else’s behaviour shouldn’t impact anyone else’s game.

No doubt professionals are better at playing in their own bubble but I’m surprised more professionals haven’t pulled him for it. He has acknowledged it isn’t the right way to behave but has ‘defended’ it by saying no one is perfect.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t like him, hate’s too strong a word. There‘s a difference between being passionate about something and being emotional about it. Temper tantrums are uncontrolled emotion, and he sails either side of that line too often. I would find it distracting to be playing in the same group, and when I’ve experienced people like that in club golf I found it distracting, and I’ve told them to behave. Somebody else’s behaviour shouldn’t impact anyone else’s game.

No doubt professionals are better at playing in their own bubble but I’m surprised more professionals haven’t pulled him for it. He has acknowledged it isn’t the right way to behave but has ‘defended’ it by saying no one is perfect.
I think those players that know him or may even be friends with him probably find his blow-ups funny. I cannot find it now because Google is letting me down, but I'm sure a saw an interview recently with Morikawa who named Hatton as the funniest golfer he'd played with. (Maybe I made it up given that I can't find it now - or maybe it was someone else.)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I like him.

The Tour has space for a guy or two like this - but too many more would be going too far.

What annoys me is how commentators talk about him to be honest, has just himself - why feel the need to criticise.

YandaB

Visit site
I think those players that know him or may even be friends with him probably find his blow-ups funny. I cannot find it now because Google is letting me down, but I'm sure a saw an interview recently with Morikawa who named Hatton as the funniest golfer he'd played with. (Maybe I made it up given that I can't find it now - or maybe it was someone else.)
Your Googling skills need sharpening :) It was an article in Golf Monthly! (link):

Funniest Person On Tour?
It’s a tough one. There’s some dark humour, some funny guys – Tyrrell Hatton is one of my favourite people. He’s funny, very sarcastic, deadpan…

He’ll love to hear that! But he’s one of my favourite people to play golf with. It’s never about us, always about him but in such a good way – it’s always entertaining.

Personally I find it a little tiresome, amusing occasionally but on the whole not great. Like others have said, John Rahm has been transformed in such a good way since tackling it (he still has outbursts but much more restrained and less often).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your Googling skills need sharpening :) It was an article in Golf Monthly! (link):

Funniest Person On Tour?
It’s a tough one. There’s some dark humour, some funny guys – Tyrrell Hatton is one of my favourite people. He’s funny, very sarcastic, deadpan…

He’ll love to hear that! But he’s one of my favourite people to play golf with. It’s never about us, always about him but in such a good way – it’s always entertaining.

Personally I find it a little tiresome, amusing occasionally but on the whole not great. Like others have said, John Rahm has been transformed in such a good way since tackling it (he still has outbursts but much more restrained and less often).
Man.. I searched everything... morikawa, interview, hatton, funniest etc. Drew a blank lol.

I like him.

The Tour has space for a guy or two like this - but too many more would be going too far.

What annoys me is how commentators talk about him to be honest, has just himself - why feel the need to criticise.
It makes me laugh that they have to keep apologising for him swearing as well. For me that is just the normal language of the golf course isn't it? :LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I guess because broadcasts have reached a level where mic’s are picking up his (& others) speech/audio and swearing during daytime tv isn’t (yet) accepted but its more than commonplace on telly after 9pm and on ytube and pretty much all social media, at anytime of the day

When I think about the ‘bad boys’ in sport I don’t think Hatton would get a mention in the top 20 but even for golf alone would he even be near the top? There’s plenty club chucker’s/snappers on elite Tours doing what could be seen as worse than swearing

I suspect Pro golf has always had swearers, we just didn’t hear them

sjw

Visit site
I love the way he always expresses surprise when the ball doesn’t follow the path he thought, it happens on lots of his missed putts. It never seems to occur to him that it just might be his or his caddies green reading skills or lack of them - it’s as if gravity works differently for him and him alone. Once or twice a round maybe but about half of his missed putts? Really?
Scheffler is another one who will miss a putt and then look at it incredulously

Smokey Lomcevak

Visit site
I love watching the guy. I don’t really understand why the way he expresses his disdain/frustration/disappointment is any less acceptable than any other player. It’s not like he has a monopoly on profanity. I really don’t think one needs to be an expert mind reader to realise that he is one of the most self deprecating folk out there - so I really can’t agree with the points made about him blaming everything but himself.

To me it makes him relatable. Sure - if we we’re trying to somehow create the ultimate successful golfer we probably wouldn’t be aiming for someone that is so clearly fighting battles with himself or speaks to himself in such a manner. But the guy gets something wrong (like they all do); has his moment, resets and hits the next one. There is a resilience there that I find admirable - and that I think many young golfers could aspire to replicate.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Whether you like him or not, he is a heck of a player. He seems to always be in contention week after week. Maybe he can be "over the top" sometimes expressing his frustration but golf is hard. We've seen a lot of top players over react from time to time. I actually find some of his reactions amusing.

Grizzly

Visit site
In fairness to him, he has a grumble when something happens, it's brief and then it's gone.

That's his release valve. Only he knows if it helps or hinders.

It's entertaining 🤣

I'd wager it helps - it used to be noted of Ian Botham that he was never, ever responsible for his own failings - there was always a person moving in the crowd or some such - which allowed him to do amazing things in the belief of his own infallibility.

sunshine

Visit site
His petulant tantrums can be quite amusing. I like the fact there are different characters in the game, we need heroes and villains. Sometimes they can be a bit tiresome, but if he cut them out totally it would be boring.