Tyre Size Question

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So going by this your tyres on there are a correct width for one of the options but the have put 55 not 50s on there which isn't end of world providing theirs room
I really should have checked this out beforehand ?. Sadly I think that rules out using my existing winter tyres, whether on these rims or others. If they aren't mentioned then it might bring insurance questions into the game and I don't want to go there.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
All the options listed will fit. I had to put 225's on a 10j to make them fit. Never debeaded when drifting.

Don't worry about insurance, tyres aren't an issue unless they are below minimum tread.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last July I bought a 2009 Suzuki swift sport as a station car and also so I had a run around to get me to golf etc without leaving the Mrs stranded.

It came on 225/45 R17 but I downsized to 195/50 R16 .... So a big change. The Speedo reads lower by a few MPH as you get up to motory, so no issue there apart from you're less likely to get a speeding ticket ?

But the main reason for the change was comfort... The car rides infinitely better and the tyres are cheaper.

So long story short... I don't know where I'm going with my story.

Hope that helps ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last July I bought a 2009 Suzuki swift sport as a station car and also so I had a run around to get me to golf etc without leaving the Mrs stranded.

It came on 225/45 R17 but I downsized to 195/50 R16 .... So a big change. The Speedo reads lower by a few MPH as you get up to motory, so no issue there apart from you're less likely to get a speeding ticket ?

But the main reason for the change was comfort... The car rides infinitely better and the tyres are cheaper.

So long story short... I don't know where I'm going with my story.

Hope that helps ?
I like a ramble ?.

I get your point though, I think ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forget winter tyres and the faff with the swapping around it brings, just put all season tyres on all 4 corners. Almost as good as winter tyres in the winter, and better in the wet in the summer.
TBH, some resemble the old Michelin XZX tyre treads.
My van now runs Conti 4 season van tyres, my youngest runs Goodyear Vector 4 seasons (or whatever theyre called).
It's the way forward:)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forget winter tyres and the faff with the swapping around it brings, just put all season tyres on all 4 corners. Almost as good as winter tyres in the winter, and better in the wet in the summer.
TBH, some resemble the old Michelin XZX tyre treads.
My van now runs Conti 4 season van tyres, my youngest runs Goodyear Vector 4 seasons (or whatever theyre called).
It's the way forward:)
I'd agree but I have 4 winter tyres with a load of life left in them that I know I won't get much for if I sell them. If I can't use them it will be a painful hit. When my summers run low I will replace them with all seasons though.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The first figure 225 is the width of the rim (mm) so I'm surprised those two figures are different. The second figure 55 (mm) is the profile so this can change depending on how low a profile tyre you require. The third R19 (inches) is the wheel size.

The tyre width should match the rim width so I'd definitely get your wheel rim measured.

It’s not the width of the rim but the width of the tyre itself and manufacturers can vary, so a 255 on one tyre may actually measure 250 whereas the other could potentially be wider than the stated 255.

The other number is what’s called the aspect ratio and it’s a percentage of the width of the tyre which will then determine the height of the sidewall.

wull

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Also it’s perfectly fine to go above and below the recommended tyre size with regards to the width, there is a website which states the recommended tolerance above and below, I can’t remember off the top of my head.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the reg said 245/45 R17 .. that’s your size the comfort or low load pressure is 2.2 bar so they are lightly loaded . These are the tyres you require . They may also have an MO on the side wall denoting made for Mercedes.
Looking at the sizes there is a range and this indicates you can go up and down widths if you choose to but really isn’t worth doing this unless you get a cost save or looking for a dynamic uplift.
Please don’t put your winter tyres on as they may not have the correct load capacity or speed rating .. this is a durability issue. Despite what has been said on here about tyres and insurance , it’s not the case, any insurance that knows their stuff will wriggle out of a payment and will drop you in the brown stuff. I used to have to deal with this stuff when claims were being made against my employer’s cars and you can tell low pressure failure, incorrect fitments, poor repairs and abuse easily.
As others have said a good 3 peak marked all season tyre will see you right all year round if your south of Newcastle, if not a set of Alpin winters would be a good purchase . Your summer tyres can be m+s , or a summer pattern with an A grade wet performance. Don’t get carried away with rolling resistance grades they are measured at 25 degrees C and a bit of a misnomer.
As for rim width , well. Every tyre size has what they call a measuring rim based on the theoretical rim. If you go down by 0.5” to 1” from that size you pick up some ride comfort but lose support and steering response .. you get some rim protection. Go up in width by 0.5” you get an 8% dynamic improvement (lateral support) and ride suffers .. beyond this and your just following fashion.