Two-shot penalty - fair enough?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There will be mixed views on this, personally if the card was signed and in and accepted prior to the discovery then it’s shouldn’t be applied, but then some could deem that cheating in its own right. Definitely a tough one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's no doubt he touched the sand going back.
Did it improve his lie? Maybe 1%
Did every other bunker shot have the same camera angle and close up? I doubt it very much.
I think it's harsh but as he's Fragger's Captain in the Fantasy league the penalty should have been doubled!;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The fact the club contacted the ground 4 - 6 inches behind the improved lie shows it made no difference to his splash shot. Secondly the bunker was clearly raked I consistently and finally from his angle it would be almost impossible to see the clump and he clearly kept the club hovering at all times.

Bad call!

If your going to call this then every single bunker needs the same HD footage from every angle

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that's very harsh. It was a wisp of sand, I'm pretty convinced there's no way he did it knowingly, plus it probably made next to no difference to the shot. Rules are rules I guess, once the footage was highlighted they probably felt they had to.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Harsh for sure, wouldn't have been noticed had it not been for camera and angle of the camera. However, evidence is there for all to see so strictly speaking it's a 'fair' penalty. As someone has referenced him above, would it be a fair penalty if Patrick Reed had been filmed doing it?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The rule is pretty clear. If you don't want to be penalised don't touch the sand. And if that means taking care and addressing the ball higher than you would normally so that you don't touch the sand, that's what you do.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough it’s the same for everyone who goes in that bunker.
As stated if Reed had done it people would call it cheating.
Does look like there is a small mound of sand and that’s what he caught.
It’s in the rules so no complaints. Bit unlucky that’s all.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He grounded the club, you can’t question it the rules state no grounding in the bunker. Time and again I see people jump in the bunker and do this .. now we have a high profile case, hopefully people will understand the rules.
I wouldn’t call him a cheat, he needs to just be more careful

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He grounded the club, you can’t question it the rules state no grounding in the bunker. Time and again I see people jump in the bunker and do this .. now we have a high profile case, hopefully people will understand the rules.
I wouldn’t call him a cheat, he needs to just be more careful

Are you not using preferred lies at present?

We need the like of @rulefan to give their expert opinion.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, there is a difference between grounding a club in a bunker and touching the sand. I feel that to ground something you have to make definite pressure into the sand and not just brush it. Maybe this definition needs to be added to the rules to stop these stupid rulings