Two Plane Golf Swing

roccokj

Head Pro
Visit site
Can anybody give tips on inconsistencies in a two plane golf swing? I've recently changed from an extreme one-plane swing to a two plane with my new teacher.
I'll post a swing video soon. :D

Bad shot is usually a slight push to a severe hook.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It was very flat

So it was a ½ plane swing? :D :D

In this pic Sergio takes the clubhead up on the green line and drops it back down on the pink line.
(you may need to refresh the page if the pic doesn't load)

79682831.gif

You have to find both the green line and pink lines for your own new swing perfectly everytime otherwise you will be inconsistant. Come down too steep and you'll get round the back of the ball, too shallow and you'll be trapped inside and block it.

here's the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sZ6QQAjc0M
Sergio's swing isn't the greatest of examples of a swing to copy as he lays the club off so much at the top but it's a good example of taking the club up one way and down another.

Out of interest do you 'feel' like you are now hitting DOWN onto the ball a bit more?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice link JOuk.

I personally wouldn't choose either....I'd simply look back a few years to the heyday of Faldo etc.

Sergio has a great swing but there are plenty of "unique aspects" in it which lead to inconsistencies.

1) he moves his hands away from his body at the start.
2) he's very laid off and unconventional at the top
3) he's extremely flat half way back down.

I think the point for the OP is that with a new plane, the feeling has gone. I've been there and it takes a long time to get back to where you were, but hopefully with a better plane, the more chances of actually improving beyond where you were is good.

I'm building a classic two-plane swing and for a while I was Mr Slicer from Slicersville USA. It's going now and I'm almost dead straight again with my path.

I think the reason why so many pro's like the classic two-plane is because by setting the club more upright, the hands and arms get higher and the club comes down on a better angle of attack....or at least that's what I was after. Trouble with one-plane swings is that often the whole swing gets too flat and there's just no height to use...???

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
cos he has a more classical two plane swing whereas Sergio is a bit more unorthodox. :)

I agree. Sergio is not a great example :)

There should be a 1½ plane swing and give it to people like Sergio who lifts the club with his hands whilst maintaining a certain parity between his arm/shoulder relationship. In fact a lot of players who are "two plane" barely get their arms above shoulder height.

To answer the original question a two plane swing as far more 'hands on' almost lifting the club to get it up onto plane whereas a one plane swing is more rotational and shoulder driven. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Although there is no need to be 'really' flat using a one plane swing.

David Toms is probably your man if you want to see classic two plane (where the arms are offset to the shoulder angle)

toms.gif

he takes the club up on the blue line and back down on the brown...
toms2.gif

video here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZuXp_qlNnw

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I just watched a couple of youtubes about one and two plane swings. They are the top results in youtube for those search terms. The guy explains the swings and the differences etc, it's quite well explained, worth watching...
one plane - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YTPvDoKLyE
two plane - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suy2njuLTI0

BUT then he shows an example of each....

1p2p.gif

maybe it's just me but I reckon you'd have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the differences in these two pics :D :D

(you might need to refresh the page to see the pics as imageshack seems to be crap right now)

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
cos he has a more classical two plane swing whereas Sergio is a bit more unorthodox. :)

I agree. Sergio is not a great example :)

There should be a 1½ plane swing and give it to people like Sergio who lifts the club with his hands whilst maintaining a certain parity between his arm/shoulder relationship. In fact a lot of players who are "two plane" barely get their arms above shoulder height.

To answer the original question a two plane swing as far more 'hands on' almost lifting the club to get it up onto plane whereas a one plane swing is more rotational and shoulder driven. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Although there is no need to be 'really' flat using a one plane swing.

David Toms is probably your man if you want to see classic two plane (where the arms are offset to the shoulder angle)

toms.gif

he takes the club up on the blue line and back down on the brown...
toms2.gif

video here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZuXp_qlNnw

classic two plane backswing, but much more of a rotary type downswing where his right elbow stays close in to his side. A classic two planer will have more separation and will chase the ball down the target line more.

In this respect he's very similar to Furyk.