How to get out of a golf slump

Kennysarmy

Visit site
By the end of last summer I'd got down to 2.3 - I was pretty confident in every aspect of my game.

I think I then started experimenting with hitting different shot shapes and trajectories to try and improve further.

All that's happened as it's fogged my brain and hurt my swing - I'm now up to 5.7 and heading for over 6 soon.

My last four differentials have been 10.9, 9.2, 9.2 and 14.5 !

I'm standing on tees not knowing if I'm going to hit a hook or a pull or push or a fade or a slice :(

Should I take a break from golf?
Get down the range more?
Play less competitive golf?

I'm not sure I need a lesson as it seems more of a mental thing :(

D

Deleted member 18121

My opinion is to knock the rounds on the head for a couple of weeks.... just do range work, take the consequence away from the swing and any downbeat feeling that grows from hitting destructive shots.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, sometimes it's best to have a few weeks off, it can give you a mental reset where you forget the bad stuff and are just happy to be out there playing again.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By the end of last summer I'd got down to 2.3 - I was pretty confident in every aspect of my game.

I think I then started experimenting with hitting different shot shapes and trajectories to try and improve further.

All that's happened as it's fogged my brain and hurt my swing - I'm now up to 5.7 and heading for over 6 soon.

My last four differentials have been 10.9, 9.2, 9.2 and 14.5 !

I'm standing on tees not knowing if I'm going to hit a hook or a pull or push or a fade or a slice :(

Should I take a break from golf?
Get down the range more?
Play less competitive golf?

I'm not sure I need a lesson as it seems more of a mental thing :(

I would go for less competitive golf, play some 4BBB or matchplay with your mates. Just take the pressure off for a bit, get back to being able to enjoy taking on riskier shots with no consequences.

But that's me, you should do whatever it is you think will get you just enjoying it without the fog. Sounds like you're getting in your own way, just need to take a breather from worrying about it.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
defintiely a lesson

while not as good as you, still single figure, and I had a phase where likewise I stood over the ball and didn't know if it was a snap hook, push slice or even s***k. Had a few lessons and the pro just simplified my swing and thought process

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have a similar mental block with my gap wedge so that I'm really hesitant/not committed (just mixing up bits of the swings for 3/4, chip & bump/run shot I think)

I've decided to practice more until I work through it, otherwise I'm trusting to luck that it'll 'sort itself' if I took it out the bag for a spell

Springveldt

Visit site
The fact that you have been experimenting with hitting different shot shapes and trajectories I'd definitely go get a lesson as you have probably ingrained some poor habits. Last time I went for a lesson (few years ago now admittedly) the pro sorted me out in 15 minutes, it's definitely worth getting a set of trained eyes on your swing.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Get a lesson so you are back on track, and once you are enjoying golf again try to accept that we all have our level.

If yours is less than 2.3 then you will get there with a little fine tuning. Making big strides to improve can be very destructive.

My first foray into single figures came over a decade ago without ever having had a lesson. I then started to believe my own hype, went to see a coach, and my game absolutely unravelled. It took me nearly ten years to return to my previous level, during which time I only continued playing for the social side of golf - I hated the game itself.

I haven’t had a lesson in three years. I play socially with one of our pros and he gives me the occasional tip, but I just go out and enjoy my golf. My HI is now at an all time low, and I love the game again.

If I get lower, great, but it’s no longer a priority. Just play the game - you handicap will be what it will be.

RichA

Visit site
All depends why you actually play golf, in my opinion.
If it's purely for enjoyment, I'd stop recording scores and entering comps and just play for fun until you get your mojo back.
If it's all about the scores then you probably need professional help (of the golf variety).

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses...

Will consider the options, I'm booked in to a medal on Wednesday and another on Saturday - I probably will still play but just not enter the comp.

I've a foursomes match at an away course on Friday which I can't get out of - strangely I've been playing better when not on my own course! - again leading me to think it's more of a mental issue :(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses...

Will consider the options, I'm booked in to a medal on Wednesday and another on Saturday - I probably will still play but just not enter the comp.

I've a foursomes match at an away course on Friday which I can't get out of - strangely I've been playing better when not on my own course! - again leading me to think it's more of a mental issue :(
I forgot to add, playing different formats might actually help - whether it's a scramble, or foursomes. It gives your brain a different focus if you're part of a team rather than just playing for your own score. I had a foursomes match last week, my round before that had been a horror-show, but I played well in the foursomes and was back to something close to my decent level. I think it's a format where you don't want to try and do anything special, just hit a sensible shot and not let your partner down.

RichA

Visit site
I forgot to add, playing different formats might actually help - whether it's a scramble, or foursomes. It gives your brain a different focus if you're part of a team rather than just playing for your own score. I had a foursomes match last week, my round before that had been a horror-show, but I played well in the foursomes and was back to something close to my decent level. I think it's a format where you don't want to try and do anything special, just hit a sensible shot and not let your partner down.
Yep. Love a social scramble. 3 or 4 mates playing against the course with no scorecard anxiety. Hero shots with no consequence. Use up the crappy found balls that are cluttering up the bag.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Remember it is just a game that we (mostly) play for fun. You don't need golf to pay the bills or feed the family so just ditch the comps for a few weeks and go out and have a few fun rounds with your mates. take the mickey out of each other (and yourself) and forget the scores. it wll all come back to you as you obviously can do it - unlike me who never had it!

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Go back to hitting just your natural shot shape.

Exactly though, it used to be "Natural" - now I'm even having to think about how I hit a fade with the driver (without slicing it) and how to draw my irons (without blocking, pushing and hooking)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I find just go out and "enjoy" golf for a few rounds

im hopefully on the tail end of a slump atm and what did me was the constant putting in of cards we always do.. the worry after 2 bad holes oh there we go my great score from 20 rounds ago is going to drop off etc etc

my handicap has rocketed back up

i found to start just enjoying the game again to go out and not put in cards for a little bit.. enjoy the course.. hit some shots.. if they go wrong? so what doesnt matter

going in to the 9 hole comp tomorrow to see how it goes

WGCRider

Visit site
Exactly though, it used to be "Natural" - now I'm even having to think about how I hit a fade with the driver (without slicing it) and how to draw my irons (without blocking, pushing and hooking
My handicap isn't as low as yours but I've found myself in a similar situation often. When it's going wrong for me I have a 2 way miss with the woods and a mix of push, slice and push/slice with the irons. For me the reset is to try hit a draw with every club other than driver for just about every shot. By slightly closing the face and setting up for a draw I know that the worst result is probably a push. The reason I choose draw are 2 fold 1) it's not a shot I can hit by "mistake" (my mistakes are are missing right) I have to set up correctly for it. 2 ) I also get more distance and run from a draw - this means that when I miss (and push it) I end up short of my target distance - often still in the fairway or in the semi.