Two lost balls

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you play a shot and being unsure if you will find it, you play a provisional which also goes in a poor spot but not in the same area as the first ball. Do you get 5 minutes to look for the first ball and then 5 minutes for the other or 5 minutes total to look for both balls?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you play a shot and being unsure if you will find it, you play a provisional which also goes in a poor spot but not in the same area as the first ball. Do you get 5 minutes to look for the first ball and then 5 minutes for the other or 5 minutes total to look for both balls?

If the two balls are suspected to be lost in the same area, 5 minutes. If suspected to be lost in different areas, 5 mins each.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks both of you. I found neither in a medal and had traipse back to the tee to play another only to find my first ball, which had travelled about 50 yards further than where I looked close to my 3rd ball. The following group that played through chastised me for taking more than the allotted 5 minutes.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks both of you. I found neither in a medal and had traipse back to the tee to play another only to find my first ball, which had travelled about 50 yards further than where I looked close to my 3rd ball. The following group that played through chastised me for taking more than the allotted 5 minutes.
Never underestimate your own strength! Once you have gone back the tee to play another ball, the original ball is 'lost', even if you subsequently find it.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

If they were waiting for 5 mins whilst you searched then rightly so that they chastised you. As soon as it's apparent you're going need some time to find your ball and the group behind is ready to play then call them through.
This happened to us on Saturday, they spent a minute looking then called us through, we teed off but as we walked off the tee they had then found the ball so we waved them on :thup:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Never underestimate your own strength! Once you have gone back the tee to play another ball, the original ball is 'lost', even if you subsequently find it.
I did not play the first ball as my 5 minutes had elapsed, it was just annoying that I found it too late.
I had topped the first over a sharp drop with heavy rough and a hedge at the bottom, which I believed my shot would not have carried..... How wrong I was. I ended up with a 9 (par4) with sinking a putt from off the green. Ruined a round that up to that point had been better than I had played before.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If they were waiting for 5 mins whilst you searched then rightly so that they chastised you. As soon as it's apparent you're going need some time to find your ball and the group behind is ready to play then call them through.
This happened to us on Saturday, they spent a minute looking then called us through, we teed off but as we walked off the tee they had then found the ball so we waved them on :thup:
we had waved them on whilst looking but the chastisement happened when I was still searching when the caught up.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I did not play the first ball as my 5 minutes had elapsed, it was just annoying that I found it too late.
I had topped the first over a sharp drop with heavy rough and a hedge at the bottom, which I believed my shot would not have carried..... How wrong I was. I ended up with a 9 (par4) with sinking a putt from off the green. Ruined a round that up to that point had been better than I had played before.

A ball is lost if it is not found within 5 minutes, or you have put another ball into play under Rule 27-1a. As I understand your original post, both applied! I think that in the circumstances described, you would have 5 minutes to search for your original ball and then 5 minutes to search for your provisional ball. It probably would have wise to call the following group through.

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Complete and utter twaddle!!!

How so? The def of lost ball includes: "The player has put another ball into play under penalty of stroke and distance under Rule 26-1a, 27-1 or28a; "

Isn't that what is meant by "going back to the tee and playing another ball?" Please explain.

(I assume twaddle is a pejorative word.)

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How so? The def of lost ball includes: "The player has put another ball into play under penalty of stroke and distance under Rule 26-1a, 27-1 or28a; "

Isn't that what is meant by "going back to the tee and playing another ball?" Please explain.

(I assume twaddle is a pejorative word.)

Delc said..

"Once you have gone back the tee to play another ball, the original ball is 'lost', even if you subsequently find it."

This is misleading as it's is the act of putting another ball in play that counts, not the going back to do so. Del may not have meant it the way he wrote it but what he did write is a surprisingly common "rule" which I have had to put people right on many times

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Delc said..

"Once you have gone back the tee to play another ball, the original ball is 'lost', even if you subsequently find it."

This is misleading as it's is the act of putting another ball in play that counts, not the going back to do so. Del may not have meant it the way he wrote it but what he did write is a surprisingly common "rule" which I have had to put people right on many times

To be technically correct, you actually have to play a stroke at the 2nd (or in this case 3rd) ball to make the original ball 'lost'. If the original ball is found by another member of your playing group within 5 minutes as you walk back to the tee, then you can still go back and play it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the original stroke wasn't made from the teeing ground, then dropping the substituted ball puts it into play and causes the original to be lost. If it was from the tee, a stroke has to be made.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
To be technically correct, you actually have to play a stroke at the 2nd (or in this case 3rd) ball to make the original ball 'lost'. If the original ball is found by another member of your playing group within 5 minutes as you walk back to the tee, then you can still go back and play it.

Is this technically correct though?

You seem to be suggesting that it needs to be found by a member of the playing group in order to play it. So if the original ball is found by someone outwith your playing group then you cant return to play it

I'm pretty sure that's not the case