Twitter - Junior Golfer accounts

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously twitter recommends followers to me and because of that I am seeing more and more twitter accounts for kid golfers that are so clearly run by their parents.

Personally I find it tragic and think the parents should be ashamed of themselves

@silverfox7777 is one example.

Interested to know others views.

Ps I also think parents caddying for young children is wrong

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's the way if the world now. The amount of juniors that I see with electric trolleys and tour bags is incredibly sad.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Obviously twitter recommends followers to me and because of that I am seeing more and more twitter accounts for kid golfers that are so clearly run by their parents.

Personally I find it tragic and think the parents should be ashamed of themselves

Given that the account you’ve highlighted clearly states it is the dad’s twitter account, I don’t see why you’d be even slightly shocked. But yes it is pathetic. Looks like the most recent video was filmed in a potato field.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
There’s a kid near me who has a managed Twitter. Named after Jack Nicklaus.
The golf was really pushed on him.
And I hate that about parents pushing agendas. Be that golf, football teams, religion.
Let the kids decide. Don’t let them be a sorry copy of yourself.

Another me thinks at least they aren’t at home watching tv or playing on their playstations. Kids don’t go out and build enough dens and pipe bombs nowadays.

At least they’re out, exercising and supervised!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I have no problem with parents supervising the kid's accounts. Replying on their behalf, no, but with the potential trouble out there surely its the safe thing to do.

Anyway, whats to say you're not an axe murderer.... not that you see many axes being murdered these days.

D

Deleted member 17920

We have at least one junior member and it’s just cringe for me.

Pushy parents yet again.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As long as the kid is willing, i don't see a problem with it. If it encourages them to be confident (some kids are camera shy), get out the house and have fun, why not?

Is it different to Rory or Tiger being on tv as kids? Or the drive chip and putt thing at Augusta?

It's the way things are now. Most kids are media savvy

D

Deleted member 18588

Not certain that I would agree with you.

Yes they know how to post but I doubt that many of them would realise (at least until it was too late) if they were being exploited or manipulated.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I mean in the sense that them not having access to it at all would probably be unusual to them. I'm not saying let them loose, but running one with their parents would probably be something they would want to do, not one they'd feel forced to.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as the kid is willing, i don't see a problem with it. If it encourages them to be confident (some kids are camera shy), get out the house and have fun, why not?

Is it different to Rory or Tiger being on tv as kids? Or the drive chip and putt thing at Augusta?

What about when the dad is #tagging every brand under the sun in an attempt to get exposure etc.

Embarrassing

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What about when the dad is #tagging every brand under the sun in an attempt to get exposure etc.

Embarrassing

Isn't that any the same on any twitter or youtube handle that is for more than just friends and family interaction. He's obviously running it to get exposure for her, what if all this gets her a few special lessons from a star? It could help her.

My missus tags me in cat videos (still) and they will have company names in them now!

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
What is sad about it, what is cringe about it and what is pathetic about it....... .....It's just someone showing people what they can do. Doesn't have to be amazing to you but it could be amazing to someone else and good on them for wanting to share a story/clip about the sport we all like to talk about. The more you knock it the more people will not care about talking about how good golf is, so the game will not grow and keep on going with comments like "The amount of juniors that I see with electric trolleys and tour bags is incredibly sad" what is there to be sad about that someone has invested money into a golf brand. Literally baffling some comments on here.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What is sad about it, what is cringe about it and what is pathetic about it....... .....It's just someone showing people what they can do. Doesn't have to be amazing to you but it could be amazing to someone else and good on them for wanting to share a story/clip about the sport we all like to talk about. The more you knock it the more people will not care about talking about how good golf is, so the game will not grow and keep on going with comments like "The amount of juniors that I see with electric trolleys and tour bags is incredibly sad" what is there to be sad about that someone has invested money into a golf brand. Literally baffling some comments on here.

What's baffling?

What's baffling is these guys are young, fit and keen. At 14/15 you don't need an electric trolley or a tour bag, you can comfortably and easily walk 54 holes in the summer carrying your own bag.

I couldn't care less about the brand or the clubs in it. I just don't see the necessity in it at all. Maybe not the youngsters fault, probably over zealous ma & pop shelling out unnecessary cash.

D

Deleted member 25172

I’ve come across a few virtually unknown golfing kids as they pay sponsored ads in order for them to get exposure and following. I think that is embarrassing.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quite sad, the saddest part is that from my experience the kids with those type of parents were generally unhappy and ridiculed by the kids who played for the fun of the sport.
Parents quote Tiger' success as a good example of pushy parents........They need to look a bit deeper.

D

Deleted member 21258

I have done this for my son, not quite sure what is wrong with it? Almost no different to playing a round with your child or walking round with you child watching them play a round when I couldn't play due to injury.

Sometimes it can be useful to walk with someone, letting them know what needs to be thought about before playing a shot.

It's the way if the world now. The amount of juniors that I see with electric trolleys and tour bags is incredibly sad.

Its not sad, not everyone wants to carry everytime they play golf whatever the 'age' of that person.

This place just amazes me sometimes.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What's baffling?

What's baffling is these guys are young, fit and keen. At 14/15 you don't need an electric trolley or a tour bag, you can comfortably and easily walk 54 holes in the summer carrying your own bag.

I couldn't care less about the brand or the clubs in it. I just don't see the necessity in it at all. Maybe not the youngsters fault, probably over zealous ma & pop shelling out unnecessary cash.

What people are capable of, and what's good for them is a different matter. Carrying a bag is not particularly good for your back health, so if the parents can afford to get an electric trolley, or even a push one, I would say it's a sensible move. Just because you or I didn't have one back in the day, doesn't mean we should dismiss, or be ignorant of advances in technology and health knowledge.

As long as the child isn't being abused, manipulated or otherwise suffering, I'm not sure why any outsider should be bothered what the parent and\or child chooses to do.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have done this for my son, not quite sure what is wrong with it? Almost no different to playing a round with your child or walking round with you child watching them play a round when I couldn't play due to injury.

Sometimes it can be useful to walk with someone, letting them know what needs to be thought about before playing a shot.

Its not sad, not everyone wants to carry everytime they play golf whatever the 'age' of that person.

This place just amazes me sometimes.

I couldn’t disagree more about caddying for your child’s. In a junior competition, he should be making his own mistakes and not worrying about having a parent looking over them.

Playing golf with my dad was and still is my favourite thing, he has NEVER caddied for me once.

You say this place amazes you. I was a junior who played golf at a good standard at a lot of events banned parent from caddying for the exact reason.

Walking round from a distance is a little different, and I have less of an issue with that.

I have also seen low handicap 15-16 year old that are clearly having smoke blown up their arses by a parent who thinks they are better than they are.

A parent should encourage but also be a realist.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would also add. When my kids are old enough to get into golf I’d love to get into helping the junior section of my golf club.

I would categorically ban parents caddying in junior comps - I would have no issue with a friend/another junior caddying