Twitter - Junior Golfer accounts

D

Deleted member 1147

In my junior days (1990’s) we never had parents caddy for us. In fact we rarely saw a parent walking the course. They just drove us to the course, left us to our own devices & then picked us up (after we called on the club’s pay phone).

I understand the kids using trolleys if it’s for health reasons (as someone with a bad back).

May be kids can’t behave properly, or are too immature, nowadays to be separated from mummy and daddy for too long?!?

D

Deleted member 21258

What's baffling?

What's baffling is these guys are young, fit and keen. At 14/15 you don't need an electric trolley or a tour bag, you can comfortably and easily walk 54 holes in the summer carrying your own bag.

I couldn't care less about the brand or the clubs in it. I just don't see the necessity in it at all. Maybe not the youngsters fault, probably over zealous ma & pop shelling out unnecessary cash.

Dont forgot sometimes the youngster may have bought the trolley with their own money.:)

D

Deleted member 21258

I couldn’t disagree more about caddying for your child’s. In a junior competition, he should be making his own mistakes and not worrying about having a parent looking over them.

Playing golf with my dad was and still is my favourite thing, he has NEVER caddied for me once.

You say this place amazes you. I was a junior who played golf at a good standard at a lot of events banned parent from caddying for the exact reason.

Walking round from a distance is a little different, and I have less of an issue with that.

I have also seen low handicap 15-16 year old that are clearly having smoke blown up their arses by a parent who thinks they are better than they are.

A parent should encourage but also be a realist.

I caddied for my son, as he asked me to, when he entered for a comp the second year running.

Also think your definition of caddy may be different to mine, as for that comp he was not allowed a caddy for advice, it was really just to look after his trolley and kind of support, so he was making his own decisions and mistakes,.

I dont think I would ever be a 'tour' caddy and pick clubs, advice etc as he wouldn't want it and to be honest at 15/16 he knew and you probably knew that you were never going to be good enough to play for a living on tour and therefore playing for yourself.

I just believe that what you think is best for you, or another child or my son, is not necessarily going to be the best for all.

I hardly spend any time on twitter, as would rather not, never really get it or why people do

D

Deleted member 21258

Must have a good paper round to get a trolley! Mine was £8 a week!

You need to ask for a payrise.;)

I bought 2nd hand gokart off here for £50 iirc which is still running even though it is used 1-2 times a week a couple of years later and my sons think cost him new under £200 cant remember the exact amounts as both were a while ago:)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What people are capable of, and what's good for them is a different matter. Carrying a bag is not particularly good for your back health, so if the parents can afford to get an electric trolley, or even a push one, I would say it's a sensible move. Just because you or I didn't have one back in the day, doesn't mean we should dismiss, or be ignorant of advances in technology and health knowledge.

As long as the child isn't being abused, manipulated or otherwise suffering, I'm not sure why any outsider should be bothered what the parent and\or child chooses to do.

Show me evidence that backs up your claims. As I said it's laughable children with electric trolleys and tour bags.

However you fill your boots.

And in another shocker I am 100% with MendieGK with regards to parents and kids caddying/advice etc etc.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The cringey parent-run Twitter accounts are gross.

Nothing wrong with a kid having a trolley and a tour bag though I don't think. Probably is better for them to carry, but they'll see the type of Bag their favourite Tour Pro has and want something similar, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Show me evidence that backs up your claims. As I said it's laughable children with electric trolleys and tour bags.

However you fill your boots.

And in another shocker I am 100% with MendieGK with regards to parents and kids caddying/advice etc etc.

Injuries and overuse syndromes in golf

Read the second to last sentence in the results summary.

However, feel free to heed or ignore as you wish, I won't judge your actions, my concerns are solely to protect the health of myself and my family.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my junior days (1990’s) we never had parents caddy for us. In fact we rarely saw a parent walking the course. They just drove us to the course, left us to our own devices & then picked us up (after we called on the club’s pay phone).

I understand the kids using trolleys if it’s for health reasons (as someone with a bad back).

May be kids can’t behave properly, or are too immature, nowadays to be separated from mummy and daddy for too long?!?

Exactly the same here, Summer holidays were brilliant my dad would drop me off on his way to work at 8am and pick me back up at 6pm on his way home. We also had our routine worked out for the other days, off the 18th green into the proshop to use the payphone, change shoes then into the clubhouse for a cheese toastie and a coke by the time that was put away grab my golf shoes and clubs and walk to the carpark because mum/dad would just be pulling in.

It's quite sad that kids today/tomorrow probably won't get that.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As with everything, balance is key.

Twitter - can be great if done properly, I enjoy seeing some of the kids progress.
Others I've blocked as I'm not interested in hearing about every practice session etc or nonsense spouted by deluded parents.

Sadly I know one kid forced to left several clubs over the past few years due to cheating and his father's conduct.

Issues where the father's ambition far outweighs his child's ability, the lad being put under too much parental pressure (not helped by 1000s of social media posts!) resorts to cheating to post the scores his father expects. Tragic.

I've also seen near punchups between parents at matches (parents spectating not caddying). Desperate.

Luckily lots of parents and clubs do get it right and provide the right environment!

Re: caddying, I agree that in most competitions/matches it shouldn't be allowed except for kids under a certain age or with disabilities etc.

However this is with some exceptions. I have very fond memories of caddying for my offspring in a few international events when he was younger - memories we will cherish for life!

Re: electric trolleys. Do your fitness work etc in the gym or by playing other sports - use electric trolleys appropriately to save back issues further down the line. My county union advises juniors to use trolleys and to carry only the lightest bags for this very reason.