TV commentators and the Rules

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Id love to see them try and get current golfers who have played early in the day on saturday/sunday think they would be able to offer excellent insight into how the course is actually set up and playing

Tbh anything to provide some more variety, far too many of the current lot Id happily see move on to pastures new.............

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Thought Sky did a really good job.
Saw parts of the old course the beeb had never been to.
But agree the coms need an upgrade.
Like Rich Beem though.

Agreed, on all points.

I’m not an enormous fan of some American commentators and pundits, but Rich Beem is excellent. Brad Faxon has also been really good when he has worked with Sky, and pseudo American Faldo is great value - I know he’s Marmite, but I enjoy listening to him.

McGinley and Davies are awful though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agreed, on all points.

I’m not an enormous fan of some American commentators and pundits, but Rich Beem is excellent. Brad Faxon has also been really good when he has worked with Sky, and pseudo American Faldo is great value - I know he’s Marmite, but I enjoy listening to him.

McGinley and Davies are awful though.
Yes Sir Nick knows what he’s talking about and if he stops all the little stupid remarks geared for the yanks he is a very good listen.
Agree Faxon.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Andy was very handy when explaining the "line of sight" rule when BDC decided to come back and drop on line , then after dropping, take a line of sight relief, whilst the commentator (Paul Mcginley I think) was saying that the playing public would be up in arms that they don't get the same relief. He explained that rule very well

By strange coincidence I read this post during a coffee break in a tournament on Sunday, minutes after having had to explain to a player no, he couldn't take relief just because the halfway house building (about 15 metres away) was between him and the hole. He was quite indignant and challenging about it with questions like what if I hit the window, what if I hit the fence. In retrospect, I confess that answers like the window will probably break and you'll play your next shot from wherever the fence deflects your ball to didn't exactly help to cool him down. Finally, just as the commentator predicted, he started protesting that the pros get relief from grandstands and the likes. Time, I thought, for a quick explanation of "temporary", a final "you do not get relief" and a sharp exit.

Well, he had wound himself up so much by this juncture that he walked up to his ball and slashed at it without any thought. It didn't get high enough to threaten the window but bounced sideways off the low fence. It ended up with a clear line to the green...... apart from the large tree in front of it. No doubt further inflamed by the stupidity of the person who planted the tree on that spot some generations ago, he stomped up to his ball and without even stopping, lashed at it backhanded. The ball ended up in the clear and the club ended up being used to assault his bag. I wondered for a moment about warning him about his behaviour next, but no point in further inflaming him. If he wants to damage is own clubs. let him get on with, I thought, and headed off for coffee with a tale to tell.

How did he get behind the half way house in the first place, you might wonder? So did I, but had more sense than to ask the player. It is way to the right in amongst some trees. His ball was lying 52 yards from the green with the building between it and the hole. I heard later that he had skulled a shot out of a green side bunker which must have gone right over the building.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
By strange coincidence I read this post during a coffee break in a tournament on Sunday, minutes after having had to explain to a player no, he couldn't take relief just because the halfway house building (about 15 metres away) was between him and the hole. He was quite indignant and challenging about it with questions like what if I hit the window, what if I hit the fence. In retrospect, I confess that answers like the window will probably break and you'll play your next shot from wherever the fence deflects your ball to didn't exactly help to cool him down. Finally, just as the commentator predicted, he started protesting that the pros get relief from grandstands and the likes. Time, I thought, for a quick explanation of "temporary", a final "you do not get relief" and a sharp exit.

Well, he had wound himself up so much by this juncture that he walked up to his ball and slashed at it without any thought. It didn't get high enough to threaten the window but bounced sideways off the low fence. It ended up with a clear line to the green...... apart from the large tree in front of it. No doubt further inflamed by the stupidity of the person who planted the tree on that spot some generations ago, he stomped up to his ball and without even stopping, lashed at it backhanded. The ball ended up in the clear and the club ended up being used to assault his bag. I wondered for a moment about warning him about his behaviour next, but no point in further inflaming him. If he wants to damage is own clubs. let him get on with, I thought, and headed off for coffee with a tale to tell.

How did he get behind the half way house in the first place, you might wonder? So did I, but had more sense than to ask the player. It is way to the right in amongst some trees. His ball was lying 52 yards from the green with the building between it and the hole. I heard later that he had skulled a shot out of a green side bunker which must have gone right over the building.

A great story Colin. There are some plonkers around.

Swango1980

Visit site

Sounds like a nice chap.

In first round of club champs, I hit it out of the fairway bunker on a par 5, but was behind the trees, meaning I had to hit a low fade to have any chance of getting to green over 200 yards away. Sadly, under those trees was the bell you ring to allow the people behind to know you are clear. I was about 10 yards from the bell, and I couldn't risk playing the shot to the green. I said to one of the guys in my group "knowing my luck, if I go for this I'll smash into that bell". At which point a guy in the adjacent fairway, good golfer, called over "don't worry, you get line of sight relief". I knew I didn't, but rather than challenge him I just joked "no point mate, I've had too many doubles already so not worth it" and just played as it lay. I wonder how many would take that relief? I bet loads would.

DickInShorts

Visit site
Interestingly - or perhaps not - the Old course at Moray has a few landing lights for RAF Lossiemouth with one in particular on the 14th which often is between the player and the green. When I first started playing there in about 2010 there was no line of sight relief.
However a few years later Scottish Golf or the R&A advised that players should get line of sight relief for it!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Id love to see them try and get current golfers who have played early in the day on saturday/sunday think they would be able to offer excellent insight into how the course is actually set up and playing
That would literally be a rule breach

salfordlad

Visit site
Sounds like a nice chap.

In first round of club champs, I hit it out of the fairway bunker on a par 5, but was behind the trees, meaning I had to hit a low fade to have any chance of getting to green over 200 yards away. Sadly, under those trees was the bell you ring to allow the people behind to know you are clear. I was about 10 yards from the bell, and I couldn't risk playing the shot to the green. I said to one of the guys in my group "knowing my luck, if I go for this I'll smash into that bell". At which point a guy in the adjacent fairway, good golfer, called over "don't worry, you get line of sight relief". I knew I didn't, but rather than challenge him I just joked "no point mate, I've had too many doubles already so not worth it" and just played as it lay. I wonder how many would take that relief? I bet loads would.
I would politely point out the correct answer and rule reference to that person either then or later if that was more convenient or practical. I really don't see that correcting a rules misunderstanding needs to be confronting or challenging, particularly to a good golfer who is likely to take the game seriously.

Swango1980

Visit site
I would politely point out the correct answer and rule reference to that person either then or later if that was more convenient or practical. I really don't see that correcting a rules misunderstanding needs to be confronting or challenging, particularly to a good golfer who is likely to take the game seriously.
Unfortunately this guy is part of a group of, how do I say it, rather rowdy golfers that play regularly. Very prominent, well established, group within the club. I also don't know him that well, but understand he has not left the best impression with others (i.e. virtually everyone who have spoken about him). I appreciated he tried to give me some, what he thought, was useful information. However, given it was a passing comment, there was little time to have a full on discussion (which would have happened if he was in my group). And, I did not feel it was worth the hassle of approaching him afterwards to explain why he was wrong, regardless of how politely and well intended I wanted it to be.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately this guy is part of a group of, how do I say it, rather rowdy golfers that play regularly. Very prominent, well established, group within the club. I also don't know him that well, but understand he has not left the best impression with others (i.e. virtually everyone who have spoken about him). I appreciated he tried to give me some, what he thought, was useful information. However, given it was a passing comment, there was little time to have a full on discussion (which would have happened if he was in my group). And, I did not feel it was worth the hassle of approaching him afterwards to explain why he was wrong, regardless of how politely and well intended I wanted it to be.
Protecting the field might be a consideration - it was the club championship!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd saying if they're sitting there going through how they played it and which clubs it would be information, but they often d
o that already anyway, so perhaps overthinking it here?

It's no problem. No-one playing on the course is asking for advice. The guy being interviewed is speaking after his round not during it.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Protecting the field might be a consideration - it was the club championship!
I was protecting the field. The erroneous ruling was in relation to my ball, which I didn't implement. He had already passed the bell, so I wasn't worried he'd benefit, although even if he wasn't, the chances he'd have been in same situation would have been ridiculously remote.