Turns out I am now rubbish with a medal card in my hand these days......

S

Snelly

So having joined a club again, I am in the process of putting three cards in to get an official handicap. I have done two so far, one at 8 over and one at 11 over - the latter including 4 birdies, a triple bogey and two doubles!

In between them, I played in a society stableford at a London course and shot 1 over, playing with two friends, coming second in the event.

I am really struggling to shoot a decent medal round and on reflection, haven't tried to do this for over a decade! The issues must be in my head as I am hitting the ball really nicely. Just failing abjectly to play consistently well for 18 holes and properly plot my way around my new course.

I think I am trying too hard and certainly feel I am thinking too much about the overall score rather than the shot I am about to play. Meeting a lot of new people and playing on a new course where I don't know anyone is proving to be a scenario in which I am piling pressure on myself to play extremely well and it is clearly, highly counter-productive.

I am finding the experience very interesting indeed and also, thought provoking. I need to relax more and just play my normal game of course but it is proving tricky. As is the golf course - it is a difficult challenge. Certainly two or three shots a round harder than my last club which I left 13 years ago.

Thought I would share this. Interesting that an old dog needs to relearn a few tricks I think.

Handicap and medal rounds aside, I am thoroughly enjoying being a club member again. It is fantastic. :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where have you joined Snelly?

Glad youre enjoying it and welcome to the world most handicap golfers play in where the card in hand is very hard to ignore! Sounds like youll be a shoe in at a few society meets once you get your new handicap :p

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Certainly took me quite a bit of time to learn where not to go when I moved to my current club.

All comes through making mistakes and learning from them.

Give it time. Not only learning the greens but also where is tricky to get up and down.

From the 4 birdies I gather you are pin hunting everything which is fine when on song but slightly out you can leak shots quickly.

Remember there isn't anything wrong with a par :)

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds like you just need to heed your own usually sound advice!

As you will know, scoring and course management skills require care and attention and get rusty through neglect or non-use. They soon get match fit though. To continue the ghastly sports references (Match of the Day commentary must have crept subliminally into my mind); form is temporary, class is permanent :D

Membership of a club is a wonderful thing, whether it's the R&A or the local track fighting the developers, and I'm glad you are rediscovering it - do wonder if demonstrating this element to newcomers to the game would increase club numbers somewhat. I'd really miss it for sure.

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So having joined a club again, I am in the process of putting three cards in to get an official handicap. I have done two so far, one at 8 over and one at 11 over - the latter including 4 birdies, a triple bogey and two doubles!

In between them, I played in a society stableford at a London course and shot 1 over, playing with two friends, coming second in the event.

I am really struggling to shoot a decent medal round and on reflection, haven't tried to do this for over a decade! The issues must be in my head as I am hitting the ball really nicely. Just failing abjectly to play consistently well for 18 holes and properly plot my way around my new course.

I think I am trying too hard and certainly feel I am thinking too much about the overall score rather than the shot I am about to play. Meeting a lot of new people and playing on a new course where I don't know anyone is proving to be a scenario in which I am piling pressure on myself to play extremely well and it is clearly, highly counter-productive.

I am finding the experience very interesting indeed and also, thought provoking. I need to relax more and just play my normal game of course but it is proving tricky. As is the golf course - it is a difficult challenge. Certainly two or three shots a round harder than my last club which I left 13 years ago.

Thought I would share this. Interesting that an old dog needs to relearn a few tricks I think.

Handicap and medal rounds aside, I am thoroughly enjoying being a club member again. It is fantastic. :)

=======================

Firstly, you appear to be playing exteremely will for someone who has been out of the game for so long. Secondly, what do you mean you shot one over in a Stbleford competition, when you haven't got a handicap ?

S

Snelly

Good replies - thanks all.

Losing the shots? I would say I have had some slices of bad luck but more pointedly, it is two or three mad holes per round that seem to be the main cause and I will get past this once I find some consistency.

In a more practical sense, I am having an issue with anything from 120 yards in due to the nature of the course. My club is renown for beautiful, but fast and hard, greens. These are in great condition at the moment but surrounded by relatively soft ground due to the time of year. Consequently, a high shot in is a good choice but the course is subject to high winds as it is almost 1000 feet above sea level which makes this tricky as does the firmness of the landing surface.

A better option is running the ball in from 100 yards with a couple of bouncesbut I am not adept at this and going both long and short with this option due to the soft fairways and my lack of skill at this kind of shot. Even though we are a long way from the sea, it is a links style punch from 100 yards that I need to master.

Need to dare I say, practice!

All will be fine in time I am sure.

S

Snelly

=======================

Firstly, you appear to be playing exteremely will for someone who has been out of the game for so long. Secondly, what do you mean you shot one over in a Stbleford competition, when you haven't got a handicap ?

I don't think I am playing extremely well but thanks for saying so.

I have a society handicap of 3 at present, therefore played in a society Stableford event. My gross score was +1 although clearly, I came second with a Stableford points score.

I haven't been out of the game per se, just haven't been a member of a golf club for 13 years and have only been playing about once every 7 weeks or so in that time.

What is new to me is the renewed experience of having a medal card to complete which I am finding difficult to do to an acceptable standard.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good replies - thanks all.

Losing the shots? I would say I have had some slices of bad luck but more pointedly, it is two or three mad holes per round that seem to be the main cause and I will get past this once I find some consistency.

In a more practical sense, I am having an issue with anything from 120 yards in due to the nature of the course. My club is renown for beautiful, but fast and hard, greens. These are in great condition at the moment but surrounded by relatively soft ground due to the time of year. Consequently, a high shot in is a good choice but the course is subject to high winds as it is almost 1000 feet above sea level which makes this tricky as does the firmness of the landing surface.

A better option is running the ball in from 100 yards with a couple of bouncesbut I am not adept at this and going both long and short with this option due to the soft fairways and my lack of skill at this kind of shot. Even though we are a long way from the sea, it is a links style punch from 100 yards that I need to master.

Need to dare I say, practice!

All will be fine in time I am sure.

You've nailed it there.
You need to flight your short irons so that they grab when landing.
It's all subject to strike too. It needs to be perfect for that.
I would imagine also that you play with your balls.

I guess all you need is a bit of practice. I know most courses frown on practicing on the course but try popping out late in the evening with just your wedges and short irons and nothing else and a couple of balls and play 18 holes from 120 and in.
Try hitting your GW your SW Distance and so on. I guess over time you'll master it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Glad to hear you've decided to give membership a go again.

I don't know if this might take a little bit of pressure off, but from what I've heard the county union have to allocate cat1 handicaps, therefore a lot of good players get new handicaps of 5.5 allocated by the club as the union are very reluctant to issue cat1 status unless you put in 2 or 3 very low cards.

Maybe you're thinking you should start with a handicap that reflects your best ability, when in reality you won't get one that low even if you hand in a +2 card.

Someone once said just aim for a bogey every 3 holes and you've shot +6. Doesn't sound hard does it? ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I don't know if this might take a little bit of pressure off, but from what I've heard the county union have to allocate cat1 handicaps, therefore a lot of good players get new handicaps of 5.5 allocated by the club as the union are very reluctant to issue cat1 status unless you put in 2 or 3 very low cards.

Maybe you're thinking you should start with a handicap that reflects your best ability, when in reality you won't get one that low even if you hand in a +2 card.

Someone once said just aim for a bogey every 3 holes and you've shot +6. Doesn't sound hard does it? ;)

thats fine but what about the doubles and trebles Gary ;)

S

Snelly

The club have already said that 5.5 will be the lowest and I agree with their position and reasoning. 6 seems a long way off at the moment by the way!

And taking a bogey every 3 holes to be 6+ sounds very sagacious. Obviously someone who really knows what they are talking about. Erudite, wise and a student of the game no doubt!!

;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
thats fine but what about the doubles and trebles Gary ;)

The club have already said that 5.5 will be the lowest and I agree with their position and reasoning. 6 seems a long way off at the moment by the way!

I was guessing the doubles and trebles were a result of attacking everything trying to shoot a very good score.

Now Mr. Snelly has posted about knowing 5.5 was the best on offer I admit to much wrongness (maybe).

It's a cliché, but playing with a handicap (especially a new one) on the line does add a little pressure. You'd like to think that a decent player just trying to par every hole in the safest way would easily shoot in the 70's, but going out and sticking to it when things don't go to plan is another matter.

Good luck with the third card.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well quite. But then again, who doesn't?
😂😂😂😂
Just having a cuppa and I'm after spraying tea everywhere reading this... that was meant to read "TOUR balls".... that's predictive text now on a phone for you...
Sorry Pal. 😉

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
it is two or three mad holes per round that seem to be the main cause...

Are you Homer in disguise ???

In all seriousness, I am also sure you will be fine. When you've only got a few shots to play with it isn't easy to introduce new shot shapes without an initial bedding-in penalty.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd be happy to take 6 Snelly, get used to the course and how to play it and then get a reduction in due course - you are certainly good enough !

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It will take time and like you say Snelly you're probably simply trying too hard. A new course always takes a little learning and I'm sure it won't take long to get it sorted and you start playing well