Turnberry Burn Changes

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Burn - Better

• Total voters

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Funny you should show this. I posted a comment in response to that tweet saying they had turned a lovely free running burn into something more suited to a shopping mall. Then I deleted it since I remembered that if you have nothing nice to say sometimes it is best to keep your mouth shut. But now that you ask.... I stand my my assessment - ruined.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Looks good before & after.
I voted after.
Is it really that big a deal?
Or is it because it’s Trump?

D

Deleted member 17920

Looks good before & after.
I voted after.
Is it really that big a deal?
Or is it because it’s Trump?
I think it doesn’t fit in with a natural links water hazard. Although the Barry burn at Carnoustie has something similar to what they have created.

That’s more of a parkland course water feature than this little burn.

I think it looks good but it’s not for the Alisa course.

Nothing to do with trump owning it.

D

Deleted member 15717

I like it....i’m definitely a fan of manicure rather than rough and ready.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't remember that part of the hole. The change makes it look more manicured but without seeing it in context it is hard to judge whether it suits or looks out of place.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Think it looks great.

No point in hating on it because it’s Trump. I’d certainly be delighted if my club were able to make such features out of our burns.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm more in favour of a raw appearance, this now looks like a water feature in front of a hotel or such.

You can't see the flow any more and I'd imagine that whereas previously there'd be an opportunity to play from the burn, there's no chance now.

Could you see this being done to Ray's Creek in front of the 13th green at Augusta?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On a parkland resort course it would look fantastic..
But it's not what you look for on a Links...it's supposed to be a bit rough and ready, not manicured to the hilt.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Prefer the original natural look rather then the manicured look, however give it a few years and it might settle in like at Carnoustie and St Andrews

D

Deleted member 21258

I prefer the new look but not a great fan of the 'step down' look that there is in stone wall, think I would have built up the soil a bit, had a taller wall for a while and had the step down under the bridge to hide it.

Really like the stoned arched bridge, very very nice.(y)

I thought the course had a fairly manicured look generally rather than raw/rough look, so don't think it is out of place really.:oops:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
And will remain consistent....looks like it's been done properly and sensitively. If they had levelled the surfaces with high walls I would have seen merit in the view that it was more suited to a parkland course - but they didn't.

Don't see anyone having suggested that the walls at St Andrews should have been removed because they spoiled the links look.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I feel that it just looks artificial and not in keeping with a natural looking course.

Turnberry has probably had more changes, nips and tucks than any course currently on the Open rota.

Upgrading/changing a burn is probably one of the most minor changes that has taken place over the years.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm more in favour of a raw appearance, this now looks like a water feature in front of a hotel or such.

You can't see the flow any more and I'd imagine that whereas previously there'd be an opportunity to play from the burn, there's no chance now.

Could you see this being done to Ray's Creek in front of the 13th green at Augusta?

You don't think the "creeks" at Augusta are manicured and manipulated?

Geez a break!