• Yes, didn’t notice a difference

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To the OP, I think history proves that fittings work however I’m interested to hear how you fit someone with an inconsistent swing.

IE a two way miss, multiple faults etc as surely you can only fit for the swing they have that day be it good or bad?
I'm also curious to hear what the OP can offer from his PoV... Thought that was the whole point of this thread :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Dipped my toe into fitting for the 1st time last week (driver shaft)

Last round pre-fitting I hit 12/13 fairways hit
1st round post fitting I missed 2 fairways in first 3 holes. What does that tell me about fitting… pretty much naff all

My swing was definitely at fault on those 2 holes and no shaft, no matter how expensive or well fitted, was gonna keep that ball on line

Confidence wise I’m sure I’ve now got a shaft better suited to my swing but when its one of those days that you lose drives right and irons left, well you just have to suck it up and get your next tee-time booked

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a Titleist ball fitting the other week. I found it very interesting and I would say it has made more of an impact on my game than a club fitting.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I had a Titleist ball fitting the other week. I found it very interesting and I would say it has made more of an impact on my game than a club fitting.

I went to a Titleist ball fitting once as a GM organised event.
The guy was adamant that we should all be playing ProV1 balls, I wonder why.

He came up with some well rehearsed reasons about how distances are similar across all balls for driver and irons but for spin around the green, the ProV1 wins hands down.
I said I preferred chipping with a low spinning ball but still he pushed the ProV1.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

He came up with some well rehearsed reasons about how distances are similar across all balls for driver and irons but for spin around the green, the ProV1 wins hands down.
I said I preferred chipping with a low spinning ball but still he pushed the ProV1.
That's not a fitting that's just a marketing speech. The Titleist rep at H4H last year was much better than that to be fair. He listened to what each of wanted from a ball and gave us two of each of the two balls that most closely matched our needs. For me it was Tour Speed and Tour Soft I think.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have played ProV1x for years, simply because I used to get them at trade price and I had become used to them. If I went on to the Titleist website and used their Ball Selector tool, it always came up as either ProV1 or 1x, however with the fitting, and hitting unmarked balls with driver, irons and wedges on the range and with Trackman, it was obvious from the spin rate, ball flight and distance, the ProV1 & 1x were not the best ball for my swing speed and spin rate. Consequently it was suggested I try either Tour Soft or Velocity. As my eyesight isn't too hot and I normally play a yellow ball, I opted for Tour Soft as I don't like the green or orange velocity. Overall I have noticed a difference, especially with my driver, playing a lower spinning ball.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I have played ProV1x for years, simply because I used to get them at trade price and I had become used to them. If I went on to the Titleist website and used their Ball Selector tool, it always came up as either ProV1 or 1x, however with the fitting, and hitting unmarked balls with driver, irons and wedges on the range and with Trackman, it was obvious from the spin rate, ball flight and distance, the ProV1 & 1x were not the best ball for my swing speed and spin rate. Consequently it was suggested I try either Tour Soft or Velocity. As my eyesight isn't too hot and I normally play a yellow ball, I opted for Tour Soft as I don't like the green or orange velocity. Overall I have noticed a difference, especially with my driver, playing a lower spinning ball.
I play the Pro V1x. I'm sure that I could play just as well with whatever ball is on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods.
The Pro V1x, however, lets one custom choose one's ball number when one orders them personalized with one's name.
I play ball #79 to keep my eye on the prize.

Anika plays #59 on her Callaway balls and that's where I got the idea.
[If I ever dreamt of a 59, of course, I'd have to apologize when I woke up.]

Not impeded by a one ball rule, however, I do switch to the Penfold Ace on Par 3s.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's not a fitting that's just a marketing speech. The Titleist rep at H4H last year was much better than that to be fair. He listened to what each of wanted for a ball and gave us two of each of the two balls that most closely matched our needs. For me it was Tour Speed and Tour Soft I think.
Exactly what the Titleist guy did at my ball fitting. I told him I preferred a harder ball in winter (for distance) and he explained how a Velocity (their cheapest) and Pro V really don't have too much difference in distance and why. He recommended the AVX to give me what I was looking for in drier summer months and to use in winter as it is a tad firmer feeling

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
That's not a fitting that's just a marketing speech. The Titleist rep at H4H last year was much better than that to be fair. He listened to what each of wanted from a ball and gave us two of each of the two balls that most closely matched our needs. For me it was Tour Speed and Tour Soft I think.
I got two each of Tour Speed and Tour Soft when a Titleist rep came to our club. But I've found loads of those out on the course since then, so mine are still in their boxes.
Winter balls only for me. Can't remember if there was a reason for him to allocate those to me. I would have preferred four ProV1 - or only one - or a pint of Doombar.

Burnsey

Visit site
Resurrecting after my second fitting session.

First time, I knew I wanted the Titleist GT, so thought I may as well get it tuned into me and booked a slot with Titleist. At the end of the day, the fitting cost is deducted from the club cost, so instead of just buying a stock one, I decided to go for it.

A week after the fitting I received the club and have played half a dozen rounds now and couldn't be happier, so went back for the whole shebang.

Irons surprised me, as was playiing reg length steel - went 1/2" longer graphite and from 2 degrees upright to 2 degrees flat - bonkers, but the improvements are there to be seen.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Resurrecting after my second fitting session.

First time, I knew I wanted the Titleist GT, so thought I may as well get it tuned into me and booked a slot with Titleist. At the end of the day, the fitting cost is deducted from the club cost, so instead of just buying a stock one, I decided to go for it.

A week after the fitting I received the club and have played half a dozen rounds now and couldn't be happier, so went back for the whole shebang.

Irons surprised me, as was playiing reg length steel - went 1/2" longer graphite and from 2 degrees upright to 2 degrees flat - bonkers, but the improvements are there to be seen.

Similarly, in my recent iron fitting at Precision Golf I went from 110g stiff steel to 105g regular steel and 2° upright to 1° flat. Slightly smaller, forged head and less offset, having gone from the Mizuno MP20 HMB to the Mizuno Pro 243.
My iron play is greatly improved since and I shot my lowest ever round with them recently. I now trust the yardage with each club for starters and front to back dispersion is much tighter.
I've had driver, wedges and irons now fitted at Precision Golf and just find them really helpful and knowledgeable.
3 wood and hybrid will be done there when I'm ready to move those on.
Putter was fitted by Matthew Johns at the London Putting Academy at Royal Blackheath Golf Club. That was a great experience too and I can say I've been fit by a DP World Tour player's coach (Jordan Smith)! 🤣
I'd recommend custom fit to anyone.

Burnsey

Visit site
Similarly, in my recent iron fitting at Precision Golf I went from 110g stiff steel to 105g regular steel and 2° upright to 1° flat. Slightly smaller, forged head and less offset, having gone from the Mizuno MP20 HMB to the Mizuno Pro 243.
My iron play is greatly improved since and I shot my lowest ever round with them recently. I now trust the yardage with each club for starters and front to back dispersion is much tighter.
I've had driver, wedges and irons now fitted at Precision Golf and just find them really helpful and knowledgeable.
3 wood and hybrid will be done there when I'm ready to move those on.
Putter was fitted by Matthew Johns at the London Putting Academy at Royal Blackheath Golf Club. That was a great experience too and I can say I've been fit by a DP World Tour player's coach (Jordan Smith)! 🤣
I'd recommend custom fit to anyone.

I was advised to pop back after a few rounds for a gapping session, which I'll be taking up soon. It includes any tweaking to absolutely nail the distances, but to my eye, all is good.

The irons seem to be bang on, as is the driver, so although I am happy with just a 5 wood and 24 degree hybrid bridging the gap to my irons, I have two spare spaces, so will see what the data suggests.

The fitting process, with the right fitter I think is superb and I still have ball and putter to go :LOL:

Skytot

Visit site
I was advised to pop back after a few rounds for a gapping session, which I'll be taking up soon. It includes any tweaking to absolutely nail the distances, but to my eye, all is good.

The irons seem to be bang on, as is the driver, so although I am happy with just a 5 wood and 24 degree hybrid bridging the gap to my irons, I have two spare spaces, so will see what the data suggests.

The fitting process, with the right fitter I think is superb and I still have ball and putter to go :LOL:
Interested to hear how your ball fitting goes .