Trying to break 100- The 3 Goals Method

chubbspetersonblog.wordpress.com
I've just come back to golf after a 5 year lay off. Just joined here to maybe pick up some tips and join in a bit - get back into the swing of things (pun intended).

I can honestly say I've never had a game plan going into a round but this does sound like some quality advice. At the moment I've been making high 30's low 40's at my local public 9 holer. I'm going to give this a bash tomorrow in my first full round at my mates club, I reckon I'll tire towards the end of the round so will hopefully keep my score down!

Cheers! CP

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
All sound advice Science boy, Patrick Cohn may have got there before you on the book though ;)
He explains that goals should be related to processes, rather than score...

Process over outcome is exactly the mantra of Danny Cowley (my current man crush as he's the genius that has made champions out of Lincoln City). Many a press conference he says he doesn't care about results, he just wants the players to play the way that they've planned. His view is that the results will come automatically if the process is followed.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Process over outcome is exactly the mantra of Danny Cowley (my current man crush as he's the genius that has made champions out of Lincoln City). Many a press conference he says he doesn't care about results, he just wants the players to play the way that they've planned. His view is that the results will come automatically if the process is followed.

It wouldnt come as a suprise to you that I have made a career out of process control? Been in quality assurance for near 10 years!

I agree process comes first, objectives are defined and then measured against as results. Results driving process is the last step not the first (deming cycle: plan, do, check, act)

Dornenglanz

Hacker
Visit site
Played the 18 hole par 3 again this morning. Decided to apply the method in a very conservative way. Sure, on a 140 yard par 3, I could try to achieve goals 1, 2 and 3 in one shot, but I slimmed it down to: 1) Get on the fairway, and within 50 yards of the flag and 2) Get on the green.

This meant that I played very low risk shots - pitching wedges and 50s. The end result was that I only had one shocker of a hole, and that was on a 180 yard, where I threw caution the the wind, and hit a 4I, out of bounds.

I generally played badly today - wasn't striking the ball well, but I scored well because the outcome of the bad strikes was still within acceptable limits.

Taking the ego out of it is very interesting. Sure I'd need to be a lot more aggressive to bring my index down, but right now, eliminating big scores is a priority.