Trump to buy a new golf club........Turnberry!

D

Deleted member 1418

So a guy who is passionate about golf, owns loads of top-end golf resorts, including building and owning one that is going to be ranked in the top 10 in the UK and Ireland, is buying the resort that is home to one of the best courses in the world. As he is a multi-billionaire with money to improve the whole resort, what exactly is the problem?!!

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Firstly, their histories are safely behind them, all he could do is change the possible future of any clubs. Secondly, I believe the players were mostly supportive of what was done at Doral, and the Trump International seems to be well liked in the North East, so I don't see any likely hood of any stupid stuff like you suggest. He is a business man after all, and a successful one at that, so I doubt he'd do anything to drive away custom.
So we'll have a helicopter pad just like Doral in the middle of an Open championship course :rolleyes: you guys obviously dont know about Trumps persuasive ways against authority, I'd save you comments until he's got his foot in the door...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So we'll have a helicopter pad just like Doral in the middle of an Open championship course :rolleyes: you guys obviously dont know about Trumps persuasive ways against authority, I'd save you comments until he's got his foot in the door...

There is a heli pad at Turnberry already.

At one of the corporate junkets a few years ago I saw 8 helicopters fly in on the trot. For a moment I thought someone had re-started the Vietnam war.

C

c1973

At one of the corporate junkets a few years ago I saw 8 helicopters fly in on the trot. For a moment I thought someone had re-started the Vietnam war.

What, in the middle of an Open championship course? Shocking!
Don't suppose they have a roller coaster? :whistle:

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

:rofl:..........the trouble with the helipad already there is that its not close enough, on one hole at Doral you now have to actually walk past his helipad complete with helicopter and fart emblazed all over it to get to the green.I dare say the helipad at Turnberry will be moved to a more "suitable" position.

RichardSanderson

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So you have a huge list of one course that clearly wasn't ruined. Have you been played there before and after to make this judgement?

The most elite players in the world had nothing but praise for the place. That has a bit more weight behind it than your argument I'm afraid.

C

c1973

Lol. Did Trump steal your dinner money at school? ;)

I thought the players praised the changes at Doral, and I'm sure someone posted earlier that the Doral member they know said all the changes were for the better.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Lol. Did Trump steal your dinner money at school? ;)

I thought the players praised the changes at Doral, and I'm sure someone posted earlier that the Doral member they know said all the changes were for the better.
Enough historys been destroyed in this country, last thing we need is a big money yank throwing his money around turning the great historical courses in the UK into theme parks.Believe me it wont be about the course it will be about him, watch the changes....

C

c1973

Enough historys been destroyed in this country, last thing we need is a big money yank throwing his money around turning the great historical courses in the UK into theme parks.Believe me it wont be about the course it will be about him, watch the changes....

I hear what you're saying in this post, not sure I agree, but I understand where you're coming from. But as I mentioned earlier, Ayrshire would benefit from a lot more golf tourists, Donald Trump is probably the man to make that happen.
If that means the courses get tweaked then so be it.

Having said that, I doubt he would do much to the Ailsa but he might overhaul the Kintyre course. We need to bear in mind that most if not all the Open courses are altered in the run up to the tournament, so 'Trumpberry' would be no different in that respect. The R&A wouldn't entertain anything they weren't comfortable with, so imo changes would be in line with their current ways of thinking.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
:rofl:..........the trouble with the helipad already there is that its not close enough, on one hole at Doral you now have to actually walk past his helipad complete with helicopter and fart emblazed all over it to get to the green.I dare say the helipad at Turnberry will be moved to a more "suitable" position.

Really? As I've already mentioned I played the Blue Monster 2 weeks ago and I can remember walking past any helipads to get to the greens. And I am sure I would have noticed it, did you see it when you played it?

And if you take investing millions in the courses to make them more interesting to play and improving the quality of the accommodation as ruining it then I suppose yes he has.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Really? As I've already mentioned I played the Blue Monster 2 weeks ago and I can remember walking past any helipads to get to the greens. And I am sure I would have noticed it, did you see it when you played it?

And if you take investing millions in the courses to make them more interesting to play and improving the quality of the accommodation as ruining it then I suppose yes he has.
I can assure you a few weeks back there was a PGA tourney televised from Doral complete with Trump theme park helipad on a par 3 , dont know which Doral you played mate......

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I can assure you a few weeks back there was a PGA tourney televised from Doral complete with Trump theme park helipad on a par 3 , dont know which Doral you played mate......

Ever considered it was put there just for the duration of the tournament as some publicity, much like happens at every televised tournament?

'The new owners have ruined that golf course as I saw on telly that it has a car on a plinth next to the par 3 8th now if you get a hole in 1, completely ruined the ambience and tradition of the course.....'

Last edited:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I am thrilled that the has bought Turnberry. If the hospitality and upkeep of the course is anything like his course at Balmedie then it will definitely be for the better.

I really don't give a rats backside about what kind of man he is or how many people hate him. He is taking all the risk with his own money. Give him a chance first and then draw your conclusions.