New here, eager to get some info about UK golf

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Foxholer: Thanks for the warning :) I have no idea that there is a difference between the words and that one can be offensive ... still so much to learn here ... OK, so Scottish they are then.

As for the accent, the common case is that native speakers (and probably from both US and UK) found Czech people's accent very similar to Russian accent. For Czech people this is somehow strange since they can clearly distinguish between their accent and Russian.

vkurup: 38? Like 38 and below on 9 holes makes him grumpy? That does not make very sense to me :confused: If I shoot 38 (i.e. +2), I am utterly happy. But nevermind, this does not apply to a match play, no total number of strokes will be count. He will only be like "1 Down, 2 Down, ... 6 Down" ... (hope he will not read this). Golf is about mindset, I need to make him fear me long before we start :thup:

Last edited:
V

vkurup

Foxholer: Thanks for the warning :) I have no idea that there is a difference between the words and that one can be offensive ... still so much to learn here ... OK, so Scottish they are then.

As for the accent, the common case is that native speakers (and probably from both US and UK) found Czech people's accent very similar to Russian accent. For Czech people this is somehow strange since they can clearly distinguish between their accent and Russian.

vkurup: 38? Like 38 and below on 9 holes makes him grumpy? That does not make very sense to me :confused: If I shoot 38 (i.e. +2), I am utterly happy. But nevermind, this does not apply to a match play, no total number of strokes will be count. He will only be like "1 Down, 2 Down, ... 6 Down" ... (hope he will not read this). Golf is about mindset, I need to make him fear me long before we start :thup:

I am sure he will give his left arm (and a few FJs from his vast shoe collection) if he shot 38 over 9 holes. My reference was 38 stableford points. Do you use the Stableford scoring system in CR?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But nevermind, this does not apply to a match play, no total number of strokes will be count. He will only be like "1 Down, 2 Down, ... 6 Down" ... (hope he will not read this). Golf is about mindset, I need to make him fear me long before we start :thup:

This made me laugh, quite a bit.

I like you, you seem fun!

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am sure he will give his left arm (and a few FJs from his vast shoe collection) if he shot 38 over 9 holes. My reference was 38 stableford points. Do you use the Stableford scoring system in CR?

Yes, we do use Stableford on most of the competitions. Not sure about other groups of golfers, but in our group, we did not use Stableford for our regular play at all.

If only two of us went to play, we either use pure match play, or some variation (like extra points for birdie/eagle, nearest to the ping etc.) or we played stroke play. If there were four of us, then various texas scramble variations, fourballs or similar games were played.

If there was a significant difference between the skill or the age of the players, we usually solved this by using different tees, or possibly giving extra strokes in stroke play.

But, yeah, we were very competitive :)

My most common opponent, 55 year old guy, always had something to say to break you up before your shot. He called it "mental training". He always said: "If you can play against me, you will be fine on the tournament."

Last edited:

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
A great introduction of yourself and you've come to the right place. A very friendly bunch who are more than happy to help out.

I think once you know your settling location you'll have a better idea of what is around and we will be better able to advise also.

Good luck and glad you got reunited with your clubs!!!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome dejf - to the forum and to the UK.

Sounds to me that you will find it much easier to get a game of golf in the UK than in CR. We have lots of courses. Like others say there are plenty of "pay and play" courses where you can turn up (or pre-book), pay your money, and play golf. Some places will pair up single people, but usually you'd turn up with your regular mates. Prices will vary from cheap to quite pricey. Generally, the further away from London the better.

But as you play lot, a club will likely be better - both in terms of value and fun. Once you settle on where you're going to live, there will be plenty of choice. Prices will vary from reasonable to very expensive (again, there's the London thing) but you'll find something to suit you.

The thing about where people come from can sometimes be sensitive. Just stick to one of the following and you'll be fine,

Cockney b#stard - Londoners and the south generally
Northern git - anyone living north of Watford
Miserable Scot - anyone living north of Newcastle
Paddy - anyone living west of Cardiff
Scrounging foreigner - everyone else.

You won't get punched very often. Honestly !!

Enjoy your golf and hope you find you "golf home" soon.

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thank you guys. Yes, it will be best for me to wait a couple of weeks after we move to a more permanent location. We will have to start our search for a new location in next 14 days. Watford/Northwood seems to be our first pick.

So far noone mentioned anything like CR's virtual clubs here in UK (is that a business opportunity?). Does it mean that (common/not so wealthy) golfers in UK usually play their home course and only occasionally visit other courses?

backwoodsman: I am not sure I will follow your advice, Paddy (?) :) But how about Bracknell/Reading people? They do not seem to fit any of your categories. Or is it still Cockney B@asterds?

Chmm, so where is this Homer guy?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the asylum, I'm sure you'll fit in nicely and will be getting fitted for your straight jacket sooner than you think :mad:

@backwoodsman, How to make friends and influence people, did make me laugh though.

So on accents, yer stuffed when yer come to Newcastle then.

Gan canny

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Khamelion. Could you please explain what does "getting fitted for your straight jacket" mean in different words. Google did not help me much on this one :confused:

My best guess is (due to "you'll fit in nicely" context) "not to be seen as a weirdo by natives anymore", but I have no idea if that is a correct interpretation. The "Mad" smilie did not help either.

V

vkurup

Thank you guys. Yes, it will be best for me to wait a couple of weeks after we move to a more permanent location. We will have to start our search for a new location in next 14 days. Watford/Northwood seems to be our first pick.

So far noone mentioned anything like CR's virtual clubs here in UK (is that a business opportunity?). Does it mean that (common/not so wealthy) golfers in UK usually play their home course and only occasionally visit other courses?

backwoodsman: I am not sure I will follow your advice, Paddy (?) :) But how about Bracknell/Reading people? They do not seem to fit any of your categories. Or is it still Cockney B@asterds?

Chmm, so where is this Homer guy?

Forum rules for newbies... Thy shall not take Homer's name in vain for it will invoke his fury..

Thanks Khamelion. Could you please explain what does "getting fitted for your straight jacket" mean in different words. Google did not help me much on this one :confused:

My best guess is (due to "you'll fit in nicely" context) "not to be seen as a weirdo by natives anymore", but I have no idea if that is a correct interpretation. The "Mad" smilie did not help either.

You will not find it via google, because it is spelled incorrectly. It should read 'get fitted for your straitjacket' >> it is a very popular training aid with UK golfer. It helps with keeping your arms and body in sync during the backswing. Ask for it at the local pro shop and they would have some behind the counter... Good luck..

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
welcome dejf- lots of good content posting. Mind if I ask what line of business you are in? you here a long time or a temporary move?

Lots of decent guys on here from your neck of the woods so you'll have lots of offers for games, none of them bite (as far as I know) and apart from the occasional knob the majority are 'normal', so I'm told:smirk:

I'm from scotchland and contrary to belief no-one up here gets offended when a foreigner calls us that, its perfectly understandable and we are a very tolerant race, unless its done deliberately with malice aforethought. Plus if it's said by a beautiful Dutch girl it can be quite cute:cool:

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Forum rules for newbies... Thy shall not take Homer's name in vain for it will invoke his fury..

Oh, what shoud I do to undo my sin?

You will not find it via google, because it is spelled incorrectly. It should read 'get fitted for your straitjacket' >> it is a very popular training aid with UK golfer. It helps with keeping your arms and body in sync during the backswing. Ask for it at the local pro shop and they would have some behind the counter... Good luck..

Thanks, straitjacket is something that Google can find for me. I am not that much into BDSM, not even in golf, so I will pass this chance to someone else.

Anyway, that changes my guess over the meaning of the original sentence to "soon, you will get as crazy as the natives here in UK", but still I am not sure that the interpretation is correct.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

Okay I spelt strait jacket wrong, but I was inferring this forum can be a loony bin, lunatic asylum, mad house, at times and said strait jacket was an item used in there, not the torture device that Padraig Harrington endorses.

I got the sarcasm in your post VK, but I'm not sure Dejf would have hence the explanation,

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
welcome dejf- lots of good content posting. Mind if I ask what line of business you are in? you here a long time or a temporary move?

Lots of decent guys on here from your neck of the woods so you'll have lots of offers for games, none of them bite (as far as I know) and apart from the occasional knob the majority are 'normal', so I'm told:smirk:

I'm from scotchland and contrary to belief no-one up here gets offended when a foreigner calls us that, its perfectly understandable and we are a very tolerant race, unless its done deliberately with malice aforethought. Plus if it's said by a beautiful Dutch girl it can be quite cute:cool:

Hi CMAC and thank you for your reply.

OK, I had to use Urban Dictionary this time to translate the "knob" word:

Knob <n>
1) The penis
2) An obnoxious person

So, I guess the second one is the right one here ;)

Alright, so my business - we have a very small company back in CR, I work on various positions there, CTO, Windows server administrator, project manager, C# developer, system architect. We do have a couple of web projects that provide services to all kinds of Internet professionals including admins, web devs, domain owners. We have many services, but the current focus is on a certain service for ISPs and hosting companies. PM if this is somehow interesting for you, will be happy to share more.

And my dearest soulmate, the sunshine of my universe, she works in Wincor Nixdorf as a business analyst. Her move to UK branch of WN is one of the main reasons of our migration to UK. But no Dutch girls here for you, I am afraid.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi CMAC and thank you for your reply.

OK, I had to use Urban Dictionary this time to translate the "knob" word:

Knob <n>
1) The penis
2) An obnoxious person

So, I guess the second one is the right one here ;)

Alright, so my business - we have a very small company back in CR, I work on various positions there, CTO, Windows server administrator, project manager, C# developer, system architect. We do have a couple of web projects that provide services to all kinds of Internet professionals including admins, web devs, domain owners. We have many services, but the current focus is on a certain service for ISPs and hosting companies. PM if this is somehow interesting for you, will be happy to share more.

And my dearest soulmate, the sunshine of my universe, she works in Wincor Nixdorf as a business analyst. Her move to UK branch of WN is one of the main reasons of our migration to UK. But no Dutch girls here for you, I am afraid.
lol, no problem, don't worry I know some myself:smirk:

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Okay I spelt strait jacket wrong, but I was inferring this forum can be a loony bin, lunatic asylum, mad house, at times and said strait jacket was an item used in there, not the torture device that Padraig Harrington endorses.

I got the sarcasm in your post VK, but I'm not sure Dejf would have hence the explanation,

I think I have recognized VK's sarcasm there :D, not sure about it on 100 %, but sure enough ...

Ads749r said:
I heard to undo your sin you have to rub whipped cream onto the top of his head whilst saying footjoy three times and standing on one leg wearing a Fulham football shirt. Or that could just be a rumour.

I can not risk to do that :D

Anyway, I hope Homer understands that I am just joking around to "break the ice". No offense indented. I will be glad to meet him and play a round with him or against him, whichever he prefers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love your confidence, but have to warn you that Homer gets very grumpy if he shoots under 38. So you might have to keep the phone number for a local taxi company handy..

Anyway, I hope Homer understands that I am just joking around to "break the ice". No offense indented. I will be glad to meet him and play a round with him or against him, whichever he prefers.

All good and win or lose we'll have a drink and I'll give you a lift back. I know you're joking. If not I'll send the boys round