Trump International Seniors Open £100

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure he makes a profit from any of his Scottish courses so the money goes to local suppliers, local workers who are employed at both course, Aberdeen and Turnberry, etc

I watch a program containing ons of his courses in Ireland. The managers and locals openly said while they wasn’t happy to find out it was trump initially, the investment into the community and increased tourism has improved employment hugely and they’re glad it’s under his ownership.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watch a program containing ons of his courses in Ireland. The managers and locals openly said while they wasn’t happy to find out it was trump initially, the investment into the community and increased tourism has improved employment hugely and they’re glad it’s under his ownership.
I've been lucky enough to play at Turnberry. There really isn't a great deal around there, it's out of the way, and so the course, hotel etc is pretty pivotal to the local economy. The quality of the staff was superb so not only are they gaining employment but they are getting a solid name on their CV should they wish to move on. I am happy to separate the owner from what he owns and see the benefits.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been lucky enough to play at Turnberry. There really isn't a great deal around there, it's out of the way, and so the course, hotel etc is pretty pivotal to the local economy. The quality of the staff was superb so not only are they gaining employment but they are getting a solid name on their CV should they wish to move on. I am happy to separate the owner from what he owns and see the benefits.
The golf course and hotel were there long before Trump. May well have been the case they needed investment…but they were there. Only upside would be were they to be have been on the verge of closing and Trump saved them. Don’t know whether or not that was the case.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The golf course and hotel were there long before Trump. May well have been the case they needed investment…but they were there. Only upside would be were they to be have been on the verge of closing and Trump saved them. Don’t know whether or not that was the case.
Apparently, he put in $75m to the course between 2014-18. He may have put more in since then but that was the bulk of the spending. Money went into some refit of the hotel and changes to the course. That is a fair chunk of money. Others may have done the same, we wont know the answer to that. All of his UK & Ireland courses make losses according to result published.

I had not been there before he took over so I can not compare any before or after. I can only say that both the course and hotel were 5 star in quality, my opinion, not hotel awarded, and the staff were trained to the highest level.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have played it many times before Trump took it over and it was great then, but from what I hear it is even better now. You say it is out of the way, but when I played it last I got talking to a group of a dozen or so Americans who had flown over from New York to Prestwick and were playing Turnberry, Troon and Prestwick as it was cheaper than playing courses in the USA!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played it many times before Trump took it over and it was great then, but from what I hear it is even better now. You say it is out of the way, but when I played it last I got talking to a group of a dozen or so Americans who had flown over from New York to Prestwick and were playing Turnberry, Troon and Prestwick as it was cheaper than playing courses in the USA!
I suppose I meant that the town is in a location that is out of the way, you don't pass it. It won't get through traffic in a way many other towns and villages through the country do. Employment is always tricky in those types of locations.

I very much agree with your comments about Americans coming over and doing a circuit of courses. We saw that for our own eyes. The course is very much a destination, I was thinking more about the surrounding area.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
With the Aberdeen course it was more about how he treated local people and the impact on the dunes that were said to have important environmental status that put me off rather than the owner. At that time he was just a billionaire, not a horrible president

HPIMG

Visit site
I must admit after playing his 3 Scottish golf courses there a clear step above any other courses I’ve played and I have played a lot of top courses. His hotel is not the best hotel I’ve stayed in but again it’s really nice and I always enjoy a overnight down turnberry.
I might try and get down again soon always thought the Robert the Bruce course gets overlooked and would like to play that one again.

JSims

Visit site
From memory, that development, and the opposition to it, was particularly nasty, though I can't remember Trump being personally involved/visible to the same degree that he would be, as an ex-president, now. So a 'horrible billionaire who went on to be a horrible president and has become an even worse ex-president'!
The (moving) dunes that were an important SSSI have, indeed as forecast, been devastated and no longer hold SSSI status. He has also not continued the development with the approved plans for development of the site - there was a 2nd course in those.