Treading on my ball in the rough

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Done a quick search on this and seem to be lots of different answers.

Today whilst searching for another drive of mine that missed the fairway i ended up treading on it whilst searching. Wouldn't say i moved the ball other than pressing it down which I think probably counts as moving it. Anyway i took a one shot penalty but played it how it was. Was the one shot penalty correct and could i have taken a drop as i had altered the lie by treading on it.

Thoughts would be very much appreciated and apologies if has been discussed before.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You should have replaced the ball and because you didn't it should have been another stroke penalty for playing the ball from the wrong place.

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So i was right to give myself the one shot penalty but then should of taken a drop, is that correct?

Now feel bad as i holed a putt for a point, not that my score would of been in the prizes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not arguing with the answer at all but....

How/where do you replace?
The ball was stood on because it couldn't be seen - so how can you replace?
Obviously you have to replace to avoid someone "accidentally" kicking it out onto the fairway but if you can't have known where it was or how it was lying it does make it tricky...

Crawley1981

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Obviously you have to replace to avoid someone "accidentally" kicking it out onto the fairway but if you can't have known where it was or how it was lying it does make it tricky...

I agree and to be honest if i had of followed the rules/known them then i would of been much better off than only being able to come out sideways as i had pretty much buried it by treading on it.

Well lesson learnt for next time.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Check the link in my previous post. It tells you what to do.

Having seen your play, I'm surprised you haven't encountered the issue! :whistle: :rofl:

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Check the link in my previous post. It tells you what to do.

Having seen your play, I'm surprised you haven't encountered the issue! :whistle: :rofl:

So if I read that correctly, if the spot is indeterminable - which if you stood/kicked it in deep rough it almost certainly would be - then you drop as near as possible not the place where you estimate the ball to have been.
Surely it would be better to make this the standard outcome in this situation rather than have to try an work out where the ball was"exactly"...? You can always ascertain a "ring" of no more than a foot as being where the ball was. Drop as close to that point and play on - simples...

And I have never, ever hit the ball into the rough - and I'll fight anyone who says differently!!!:temper:

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So if I read that correctly, if the spot is indeterminable - which if you stood/kicked it in deep rough it almost certainly would be - then you drop as near as possible not the place where you estimate the ball to have been.
Surely it would be better to make this the standard outcome in this situation rather than have to try an work out where the ball was"exactly"...? You can always ascertain a "ring" of no more than a foot as being where the ball was. Drop as close to that point and play on - simples...

And I have never, ever hit the ball into the rough - and I'll fight anyone who says differently!!!:temper:

Thats my reading of it. If you kick it and aren't sure where it was then drop. If you stand on it then you 'unplug' it and carry on.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's all here http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-18/

Though you have to read 18.2, the Penalty text and the Notes and references (to 20-3b and c) to get the full picture.

Spuddy is correct though.

I think, in the context of this thrread, the statement 'spuddy is correct' when spuddy says "Not a drop, replaced as closely as possible to where it was before you stood on it." is a little misleading.

Unless you step on it after you have observed it's position and lie, which although possible is not the usual situation, it will be a drop.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think, in the context of this thrread, the statement 'spuddy is correct' when spuddy says "Not a drop, replaced as closely as possible to where it was before you stood on it." is a little misleading.

Unless you step on it after you have observed it's position and lie, which although possible is not the usual situation, it will be a drop.

On second reading, I agree. You might know the spot but if you don't see the ball then you don't know the lie.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Doh! This is the second time (at least) I've got this wrong! Indeed a drop. I'll blame the fact that it's in the 'Placed' part of 20-3! :rolleyes: