Travis Perkins Masters - Pro-Am....What a day!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
This forum affords some of us opportunities that we are unlikely to get anywhere else, and winning a place in the Pro-Am on Wednesday was no exception. I feel its only fair that i give a write up of the day which will hopefully be interesting :D

On arrival, we were presented with a goody bag containing, a new FJ polo shirt, sleeve of Pro V1s, course planner, wooly hat and water bottle - Not bad Eh!

After tucking into a bit of breakfast, i was transported to the driving range, where to be honest it seemed as though i was the only amateur who had bothered. Hitting balls next to Mark James was quite daunting especially when the balls were brand new Pro V1s. Not wanting to chunk any shots, it took about 10-15 thinned wedges before i started to relax and actually strike the ball.

After a few putts on the putting green i hopped onto a buggy to the 15th Tee where i met my pro for the day - Jonathan Lomas, Amanda and Steve, a sports journalist.

now the 15th.... the long drive hole. The thing more often than not i fancy winning, but first tee shot of day? really?!?! luckily i neednt have worried - 338yds down the middle, and the comp was over. No one else had even hit a tee shot :D

The rest of the round our entire team struggled to really get anything going. Amanda got her name on the nearest the pin marker and holed a lightning quick downhill putt for the 2, but was unfortunately pipped to the prize by another lady.

Our Pro was a fantastic guy, who did exactly what you would hope a pro would do, make the day for you. i'll be honest before i found out who i was playing with i had never heard of him. But he turned out to be one of the nicest blokes i've ever met. His golf game didn't have the Wow! factor, but the efficiency he got from his game was eye opening. if he missed a green, the chip was burning the hole for a tap in par, and standing on the 18th tee he was 3 or 4 under.....

On conclusion of the round we were treated to a fantastic 3 course dinner, with pork belly to die for. i was then presented my long drive prize by none other than Keith Pelley CEO of the european tour. something i'll never forget.

I'd like to thank Mike and Golf Monthly for the opportunity, and also Amanda for making the day even more enjoyable.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow wow wow! Sounds like a red letter day to remember, and fair play on that drive - animal!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fabulous. I have been lucky enough to play in two level pro-ams, not at the level you are talking about. At the driving range I got talking to the guy next to me who had not hit a shot, 'are you a bit nervous about this' I asked. He then walked back to his tour bag, pulled out a wedge and launched beautiful shot after beautiful shot. Did I feel a prat. My first pro was miserable, tired and didn't play very well. His dad, his caddy, was a smashing bloke and he performed the role of pro as far as we were concerned. The second pro was dour but did exactly what you described. Nothing spectacular but everything was solid and his short game and putting were spot on. It was a real education. You certainly got a better pro deal than I managed though :).

Great for you and Amanda, sounds a top experience.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
338? Was that longer than Kings of Distance?

Great day Sam, glad you enjoyed it and another great opportunity from GM for you and Amanda

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Great day Sam, glad you enjoyed it and another great opportunity from GM for you and Amanda
Yeah easily longer. It was as good as I can hit it and probably the only one I hit well all day 😂

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah easily longer. It was as good as I can hit it and probably the only one I hit well all day 😂

youre right though we are very lucky to get such opportunities. Stuff like this is usually only afforded to those with more money than sense

D

Deleted member 16999

Great write up and glad you both had a great day. (y)

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This forum affords some of us opportunities that we are unlikely to get anywhere else, and winning a place in the Pro-Am on Wednesday was no exception. I feel its only fair that i give a write up of the day which will hopefully be interesting :D

On arrival, we were presented with a goody bag containing, a new FJ polo shirt, sleeve of Pro V1s, course planner, wooly hat and water bottle - Not bad Eh!

After tucking into a bit of breakfast, i was transported to the driving range, where to be honest it seemed as though i was the only amateur who had bothered. Hitting balls next to Mark James was quite daunting especially when the balls were brand new Pro V1s. Not wanting to chunk any shots, it took about 10-15 thinned wedges before i started to relax and actually strike the ball.

After a few putts on the putting green i hopped onto a buggy to the 15th Tee where i met my pro for the day - Jonathan Lomas, Amanda and Steve, a sports journalist.

now the 15th.... the long drive hole. The thing more often than not i fancy winning, but first tee shot of day? really?!?! luckily i neednt have worried - 338yds down the middle, and the comp was over. No one else had even hit a tee shot :D

The rest of the round our entire team struggled to really get anything going. Amanda got her name on the nearest the pin marker and holed a lightning quick downhill putt for the 2, but was unfortunately pipped to the prize by another lady.

Our Pro was a fantastic guy, who did exactly what you would hope a pro would do, make the day for you. i'll be honest before i found out who i was playing with i had never heard of him. But he turned out to be one of the nicest blokes i've ever met. His golf game didn't have the Wow! factor, but the efficiency he got from his game was eye opening. if he missed a green, the chip was burning the hole for a tap in par, and standing on the 18th tee he was 3 or 4 under.....

On conclusion of the round we were treated to a fantastic 3 course dinner, with pork belly to die for. i was then presented my long drive prize by none other than Keith Pelley CEO of the european tour. something i'll never forget.

I'd like to thank Mike and Golf Monthly for the opportunity, and also Amanda for making the day even more enjoyable.

Just awesome 👍👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I missed the whole drive thing. 338yds. Holey smoke, that's ridiculous. Please tell me you hit a concrete path and it took a ridiculous bounce. I feel utterly inadequate 😞.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I missed the whole drive thing. 338yds. Holey smoke, that's ridiculous. Please tell me you hit a concrete path and it took a ridiculous bounce. I feel utterly inadequate 😞.

Believe me Mendie doesn't need to go near a concrete path for his distance, at Kings of Distance he smashed it miles longer than Alvaro Quiros

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great write up and sounds like a fantastic day. I could think of a few that would have definitely tucked a few of the Pro V's away for another day. Watching these guys hit balls is different even at their age. I watched Michael Campbell the other week at the British par 3 championship and even though he was only hitting his different wedges, what a sound it made off the club face

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds an awesome day (can’t edit the above.....swinger wasn’t really longer. Mendie ruined his forum career. He’s about less than lord lucan now:cry:)