Tour Caddy Experience - Thoughts

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone seen anything about this?

A number of European Tour Caddies are starting to offer a caddy experience, whereby they effectively teach you better course management etc. They'll also do a report afterward etc.

Personally i think its a brilliant idea, but i'd only be interested in doing it at my home course. As i low handicapper i always think i can knock shots off a higher handicappers game by getting them to think logically about what they are doing, so I can only guess at the impact these guys could have on our games.

The prices are pretty reasonable IMO (£200 for 18 holes, £450 for a 3 ball to do 18 holes).

David Howells caddy seems instrumental in its beginning.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think Id rather do this at a course away from my home course. I think that way you learn more the process and how they think about how to assess a new course etc can then apply that to each new course you play. If you only did it round your home course I think its likely to become too much of just a course assessment. Also surely you know your home course backwards and can work most of it out for yourself over time?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think Id rather do this at a course away from my home course. I think that way you learn more the process and how they think about how to assess a new course etc can then apply that to each new course you play. If you only did it round your home course I think its likely to become too much of just a course assessment. Also surely you know your home course backwards and can work most of it out for yourself over time?

thats a pretty good shout actually mate

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone seen anything about this?

A number of European Tour Caddies are starting to offer a caddy experience, whereby they effectively teach you better course management etc. They'll also do a report afterward etc.

Personally i think its a brilliant idea, but i'd only be interested in doing it at my home course. As i low handicapper i always think i can knock shots off a higher handicappers game by getting them to think logically about what they are doing, so I can only guess at the impact these guys could have on our games.

The prices are pretty reasonable IMO (£200 for 18 holes, £450 for a 3 ball to do 18 holes).

David Howells caddy seems instrumental in its beginning.

I like the idea, but a bit steep price wise for me to consider doing it. As a high handicapper I don't think I would benefit as much as someone like yourself. Although I agree that low handicappers can teach us higher caps something. I've been playing most Saturdays with the best player at my club off 3, since about October. And the first few weeks I didn't really take notice of how he went about his round, but then I started to take notice and the last two weeks I have went out and shot 82 when the weeks before I was struggling to break 90. And the only thing I have changed is club selection off the tee and thinking a bit more about putting my self in positions with each shot.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like the idea, but a bit steep price wise for me to consider doing it. As a high handicapper I don't think I would benefit as much as someone like yourself. Although I agree that low handicappers can teach us higher caps something. I've been playing most Saturdays with the best player at my club off 3, since about October. And the first few weeks I didn't really take notice of how he went about his round, but then I started to take notice and the last two weeks I have went out and shot 82 when the weeks before I was struggling to break 90. And the only thing I have changed is club selection off the tee and thinking a bit more about putting my self in positions with each shot.

Personally I think they higher the handicap the more you would benefit.

The one thing I think higher handicaps have to alway think is - hit less bad shots, not more good ones.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

The one thing I think higher handicaps have to alway think is - hit less bad shots, not more good ones.

I think I can hear David Carradine saying that in full Kung Fu mode. Joking apart, all too true and that is from a high h/c. We just have to remember that and try to do something about it rather than trying to think, "what shot would Phil do now?"

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

great news about your score reducing so much though! keep it up!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yeah but I think that most low handicaps or teaching pros could help on that for higher handicaps. That's why I don't think for me that the caddie experience would be of benefit. The bad shots that I hit come from more of a technique aspect, the odd shank, top or thin here or there. Having a caddie telling me what shot to hit would be great but for the cost I think you'd be better getting the local pro to go round with you.

I know that off a tight lie I shouldn't try to hit a flop shot to the close pin, play away from it and try and get up and down. That's why for me playing with a 3 handicapper has been an eye opener for me and that's why I have shot better the last couple weeks.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
great news about your score reducing so much though! keep it up!

Thanks, I hope to keep it up and see where I can get to next year. It has also been a combination of tweaks in the swing the last few months, but I think the better thinking has help a lot too. Instead of just reaching for the driver, I've taken driving iron and had a better shot into the green because of it.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I think I can hear David Carradine saying that in full Kung Fu mode. Joking apart, all too true and that is from a high h/c. We just have to remember that and try to do something about it rather than trying to think, "what shot would Phil do now?"

Dont copy me, for goodness sake, are you mad!!!..............

Oh

THAT Phil

Ill get my coat

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
When people talk about low handicaps what do you mean, single figures?

Really single figure golf means being a shot a hole behind EXPERT players

So thinking that single figure golfers can do this is rubbish, they only know what they know, they do not know how the best players on earth would look at the hole

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

So thinking that single figure golfers can do this is rubbish, they only know what they know, they do not know how the best players on earth would look at the hole

Talk about mis-reading pretty much every post in the thread!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

For me I mean handicaps of 5 or below. Yeah I know there is still a big gap between them and professional but the difference between me and them is also great. There is definitely something I can learn from and something I already have, which will help me improve my game and hopefully get me to where I want to be handicap wise.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,
where did you guys learn about this? I'm just trying to find out some more info and see how such a service can be booked

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it'd be an interesting experience and am sure there would be plenty of good stuff to learn.... not sure I'd want to pay £200 for it though.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was lucky enough to be chosen for the GM/Ping Texas scramble at Gainsborough a few years ago. I played in the team with Matt Nixon as our ET pro and he talked me through planning a shot to one of the holes and not only was I enthralled by his explanation I pulled off exactly the shot that he talked me through. Any course planning help and I'd grab it