Toughest course?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
Visit site
St Mellon,- bring your A+ game, if you bring only your A game, I suggest hitting up premierlakeballs website at least 2 weeks in advance to ensure you have at least 50 balls in your bag.
Perranporth- not only does it resemble the moon’s surface, but balls also seem to bounce 100 yards further into the rough despite you nailing the 11 blind tee shots straight over the marker posts!
Faldo Belek- every fairway is sloped from the centre to the sides as though someone was running a roofing company. No chance of you having to play out of a fairway divot at this course as no ball has ever stayed on one....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of the courses put up as difficult have the proviso, when it's windy. If the course needs the wind up to make it difficult, then it's not the course that's difficult.
So, having played Carnoustie and Silloth, (both are fantastic places) I nominate

In first place:- Ripon - Hell On Earth
Honorable mention for :- Heaton Park - Hells Sister

i imagine most are saying this in context with Links courses, many won't ever play in those windy conditions regularly except when they go to a links

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
i imagine most are saying this in context with Links courses, many won't every play in those windy conditions regularly except when they go to a links
Exactly. Southerness would be a brute on a calm day (something Carnoustie isn't). Factor in the standard 40mph winds (mostly across the hole) and it's as pure a test as I know.

LGC2019

Visit site
I find every golf course tough! One that stands out is Enniscrone (Dunes course) on West coast of Ireland. Some long holes with no room for error off the tee. I think I lost 3 balls on one of the par 5's alone! It was probably 5/6 yrs ago I played it and I'd like to go back one day as I've improved a lot since then.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I find every golf course tough! One that stands out is Enniscrone (Dunes course) on West coast of Ireland. Some long holes with no room for error off the tee. I think I lost 3 balls on one of the par 5's alone! It was probably 5/6 yrs ago I played it and I'd like to go back one day as I've improved a lot since then.
A personal favourite of mine, tremendous golf course (y)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I doubt any on here will have played it judging by the courses mentioned, but Tilgate Forest is absurdly difficult.

I enjoyed tilgate forest the few times I’ve played it.
Don’t think I’ve hit anything longer than 5iron on every hole given its nearly all dog legs

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how I would play it now but the most beaten up that I have been on a course was the PGA Course at the Belfry. I was a 24 handicapper at the time (and only just been cut to that) playing at the first official GM Meet with Mike H. Calf high rough and poor swing meant I had lost about half a dozen balls by the turn. Then it was the same again but also with fading light. Not my best day on a course.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m trying to think of a course that is really tough without the wind playing a factor (as most links courses are there for the taking with no wind).

Duchess @ Woburn is seriously tough because it’s so narrow.

Woodhall Spa is another one

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southerness..Brutal, Relentless, but enjoyable.
Nice setting too. I Need to get back there soon.
Yep... any time any weather... it'll knack yer. Even with SSS +3 I bet there are many occasions the CSS goes a further +3.
Players H/Caps from there will be very strong..... must clean up in a few Opens!! ;);)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last Summer it was a walk in the Park..... balls running for miles. Played Carne, Enniscrone & Ross's Point in the "Atlantic Coast Challenge" @ £140... it's the way to do them!! But I doubt you'll ever again see weather conditions like Summer 2018 :):)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not sure how I would play it now but the most beaten up that I have been on a course was the PGA Course at the Belfry. I was a 24 handicapper at the time (and only just been cut to that) playing at the first official GM Meet with Mike H. Calf high rough and poor swing meant I had lost about half a dozen balls by the turn. Then it was the same again but also with fading light. Not my best day on a course.

I'd agree with that, played the PGA a few times and never even scored close to respectable.

What struck me were the narrow fairways and how little you had to be off line before you were in deep, thick rough.
The course claims to be an inland links design but links rough usually has a whispy element to it whereby you have a chance of finding your ball and making a shot at it, not thick meadow grass like at the PGA where you've got practically no chance of finding your ball and even if you do you're not going to move it anywhere.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly. Southerness would be a brute on a calm day (something Carnoustie isn't). Factor in the standard 40mph winds (mostly across the hole) and it's as pure a test as I know.

Hugely underrated course imo..
I can't help thinking it'd be much higher up the rankings if it were in East Lothian or Fife, a lot more expensive too..

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hugely underrated course imo..
I can't help thinking it'd be much higher up the rankings if it were in East Lothian or Fife, a lot more expensive too..
not played it and everyone who has i know say how good it is, all i can surmise under the ranking schemes of these top 100 lists is the catering and car park are not all that:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 23270

not played it and everyone who has i know say how good it is, all i can surmise under the ranking schemes of these top 100 lists is the catering and car park are not all that:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Catering and car parking must be very good at Nairn from what I've heard ;)