Toughest course?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't see much of it as they recommended we take buggies. Because the cart track was so far from the fairways we spent most of the time walking down from the track and back up. Didn't find it extra tough except for the physical slog.

Agree, a bit of a slog more than overly difficult but St Enadoc always kills me so what do I know, another bash at it next Wed.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sunningdale for me. Even on a still day you have to be accurate and unfortunately that is not my middle name

I’m looking forward to taking them on separate days. Played ok on the old, but stamina done me by the time we did the new.

Birdied the first on both though! 😃 Less said about the following 17 on the new the better 🤬

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Southerness. Always windy (very). An absolute beast of a course with no hiding place from the wind.

Definitely a true test of golf no hiding place for a weak game as you are hitting long irons into most greens and you need to hit fairways to have a chance round here.

D

Deleted member 3432

Definitely a true test of golf no hiding place for a weak game as you are hitting long irons into most greens and you need to hit fairways to have a chance round here.
For the 1St time in my golfing life I was happy with Stableford adjusted buffer at Southerness in July.
Pm round just chewed me up and spat me out. Not even windy but your game has to be on to have any sort of score. Other than the last no obvious birdie holes

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Extremely difficult back 9 as it's usually into the prevailing wind. Good track.

I will never forget seeing fields left and right along the first hole and wondering where the rest of the course was. Snakes away like no other course.

D

Deleted member 17920

Royal Birkdale, 1st time I played it there was only a 1 club wind and it was brutal, the rough was borderline unplayable, 2nd time after the open it was far more playable but still tough.

St Mellion, no room for hitting it wide, I have never played from the side of a hill so many times.

RCP is also up there but would like another crack in more playable weather.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a club we have an away competition over 2 days and last year the second round was at St Mellion, calm conditions , 54 players and 18 single figure handicaps and 9 Cat 1's . The 54 players had a sweepstake for the number of lost balls..........................236 !!! o_Oo_O

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
As a club we have an away competition over 2 days and last year the second round was at St Mellion, calm conditions , 54 players and 18 single figure handicaps and 9 Cat 1's . The 54 players had a sweepstake for the number of lost balls..........................236 !!! o_Oo_O
That’s 3 rounds for me:eek:

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Royal birkdale beared it’s teeth when I played it last year. A very windy links made club selection difficult but I still don’t think I’ll ever play a course in better condition...ever.

A great experience

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Few courses, all already mentioned where there's just no let-up.

Royal St David's
Southerness
Ganton

All require accuracy off the tee, good ball striking with long clubs and a great short game.

Irrespective of the weather conditions they are just a bloody hard examination.

Royal Lytham wasn't much of a pushover either!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Few courses, all already mentioned where there's just no let-up.

Royal St David's
Southerness
Ganton

All require accuracy off the tee, good ball striking with long clubs and a great short game.

Irrespective of the weather conditions they are just a bloody hard examination.

Royal Lytham wasn't much of a pushover either!

Lytham is a great course, just a whoopsie location.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Burnham always takes no prisoners...mainly on and around the greens. I’ve seen a County Player 4 putt the 6th and put a 10 ft putt off the green into the front left bunker!

Saunton East before they cut the rough back brutal, a running Perranporth in 25mph wind as tough as it gets?

Heck, those are all English links...Royal Aberdeen on a July afternoon with a sub zero windchill, Portrush in a monsoon on St Paddy’s Day, Ashburnham with the rough up... too many to name. All brutal, but beautiful.

I also played Ko’Olau in Hawaii in 2000. The highest slope in America. Mad as a hatter.... miss fairway, lose ball. (Google)

I’ve been a lucky chap!