Toughest course?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve played four opens at Ullesthorpe and have yet to break 110! On that basis it’s one course that I just can’t score well on. I will try again this year.

Visit site
Royal Lytham St Anne's, in 2005, in July, in the midst of a good summer and the Pro said it's as close to Open conditions as you'll get. Brutal and still the hardest I've played to date, although West Lancs in a 36 scratch comp around the same time was bearing its teeth to me as well.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I wouldn't say its the toughest, but i don't think ive have ever played well at this course, racked up scores that Englands opening pair would be happy with as an opening partnership:( each time..

Rosemount Blairgowrie

Your welcome to try again anytime you like 😂😂

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Carnoustie here in the UK. TPC Tampa off the championship tees last March. At least I stuck it to a former NFL player I was out there with that day.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I doubt any on here will have played it judging by the courses mentioned, but Tilgate Forest is absurdly difficult.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't played very many courses as a lot of you know, but the only one I've struggled with every time I've played it is very near where I live - Pinner Hill. I just find it quite long and arduous. The yardage doesn't look long on the card but there's a lot of uphill and blind holes that make it feel a lot longer than it is on paper. Just doesn't suit my game I suppose. In fairness though it's over a year since I've played it so maybe I'd do better if I returned now.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few that I have found absolutely brutal, some depending on the wind others just in general!

Southerness
Royal Lytham
Carnoustie

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Burnham always takes no prisoners...mainly on and around the greens. I’ve seen a County Player 4 putt the 6th and put a 10 ft putt off the green into the front left bunker!

Saunton East before they cut the rough back brutal, a running Perranporth in 25mph wind as tough as it gets?

Heck, those are all English links...Royal Aberdeen on a July afternoon with a sub zero windchill, Portrush in a monsoon on St Paddy’s Day, Ashburnham with the rough up... too many to name. All brutal, but beautiful.

I also played Ko’Olau in Hawaii in 2000. The highest slope in America. Mad as a hatter.... miss fairway, lose ball. (Google)

I’ve been a lucky chap!

They've rebuilt that green now and its a lot fairer, theyve also got a new tee on the hole which makes it arguably the best hole on the course. New tees on 9,11 and 16 take it to over 7000 off the green tees.

Proper golf course

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
I've noticed a lot of the courses put up as difficult have the proviso, when it's windy. If the course needs the wind up to make it difficult, then it's not the course that's difficult.
So, having played Carnoustie and Silloth, (both are fantastic places) I nominate

In first place:- Ripon - Hell On Earth
Honorable mention for :- Heaton Park - Hells Sister

Wolf

Visit site
RCP- played it in an Army golf comp quite a few years back and it beat me up badly and conditions were brutal, I remember hitting a flushed Driver to a par 3 and coming up well short.

London Club Heritage Course - was lucky enough to play that couple days after the European tour event few years ago in 2008 friend of mine was assistant there and we played the course from the tips on the same set up, safe to say that also battered me as well, yet have played the same course in normal conditions from members tees and found it pretty straight forward, goes to show how a course can be setup in different ways.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of the courses put up as difficult have the proviso, when it's windy. If the course needs the wind up to make it difficult, then it's not the course that's difficult.
So, having played Carnoustie and Silloth, (both are fantastic places) I nominate

In first place:- Ripon - Hell On Earth
Honorable mention for :- Heaton Park - Hells Sister
Interesting to hear you quote Ripon. I've played a good number of courses in N Yorks but not there. I quite fancy it from the pictures, what made it so tough?

Dylan

Visit site
The Predator Course on Tiger woods haha

Or in my case - any course. Just joined up here. Looking to get into golf, but it's not going well... I don't have the hand-eye coordination. I really don't want to be the guy who throws his clubs into the lake, but I'm finding it pretty hard tbh.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Predator Course on Tiger woods haha

Or in my case - any course. Just joined up here. Looking to get into golf, but it's not going well... I don't have the hand-eye coordination. I really don't want to be the guy who throws his clubs into the lake, but I'm finding it pretty hard tbh.

Most of us did mate. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Have a lesson with a decent pro. Practice the basics and just enjoy the ride 👍