Toughest course?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Fulford in a strong crosswind. Fulford is pretty much an out and back course. Unlike a links Course that rarely has lots of trees, Fulford has them in spades. Add a crosswind to that mix and mayhem ensues.

I'll add in Woodhall Spa played off the very back tees in a strong wind. I played a 36 hole scratch comp there. On quite a number of holes I struggled to make the fairway. I was 10 over in the morning, and close to the top of the leaderboard. A decent round in the afternoon would put me in with a chance. At least it didn't rain.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Allowing for decent course conditions and weather...…….Dundonald for me.

Played Gleneagles Kings (82) and Gullane No 2 (85) in howling gales and sleet and managed to win money.
The 85 on Gullane No2 I still rate as one of my best rounds. Out of an Alliance field of 90 only 7 returned scores and I was 3rd

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that you really need to play a course twice to work out if it is tough or you just didn't play well first time, or is that just me? I played Moortown, nr Leeds, last year during the drought when everywhere was like concrete. The ball kept rolling, course was tough, we were held up by slow play so I couldn't get into a rythym. I know it was tough, it's a proper Mackenzie course, but I can't work out in my head if it was all the course or partly me. For the moment, I'll go Moortown.
Moortown was tough this summer but in Yorkshire, Ganton is tougher all year imo. Carnoustie the hardest I've experienced.

D

Deleted member 25172

the toughest course I have played is The V Club in Lithuania, that I visited with some colleagues from my previous firm as we had a client out there.
it was a tough course with water on almost every hole, made harder by using hired clubs.
I would love to go back with my own sticks to see if I played it any better.

Exotic!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sunningdale for me. Even on a still day you have to be accurate and unfortunately that is not my middle name
It definitely asks a lot of questions especially off the tee. I think Imurg had a good shout with Hankley Common. That was a hard round but worth making a fool of myself for the H4H cause. I'd also add The Nicklaus Course at St Mellion. With the thick rough and it's length it was a real slog and anything fractionally off line was a chop sideways or more usually a lost ball

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The Duchess at Woburn, as I tend to spend the whole round chipping out sideways or backwards.:D

Toughest rounds I have ever had were at Carnoustie and Silloth. Torrential rain and wind at Carnoustie made it almost unplayable. Silloth was just feezingly cold. Have played Carnoustie with the forum on a lovely day and it wasn't that difficult, but doubt you get many days like that.:whistle:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Newmacher Hawkshill is a real brut of a course. Water, lightning fast greens.

A course I want/need to play again but I thought it was really good and also really tough. Need to drive well and putt well round that course.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Newmacher Hawkshill is a real brutal of a course. Water, lightning fast greens.

A course I want/need to play again but I thought it was really good and also really tough. Need to drive well and putt well round their
i enjoyed it when i played there some years ago and would like to go back.

its wasn't in great condition at the time either, so hopefully if i get the chance again, it will be;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
i enjoyed it when i played there some years ago and would like to go back.

its wasn't in great condition at the time either, so hopefully if i get the chance again, it will be;)

I've not played it in a long time either but I remember it being a decent track and very hard to score on.

Greens were really quick when I was there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've not played it in a long time either but I remember it being a decent track and very hard to score on.

Greens were really quick when I was there.

Must have been 10 years ago i played it, with two members and one of them insisted in taking his trolley into most of the bunkers which looked like they hadn't been raked in a while, not sure what Sergio would have made of them. Tees were in a shocking state as well. But as you say a great layout and some super holes, love to go back and give it another try

The Fader

Visit site
It definitely asks a lot of questions especially off the tee. I think Imurg had a good shout with Hankley Common. That was a hard round but worth making a fool of myself for the H4H cause. I'd also add The Nicklaus Course at St Mellion. With the thick rough and it's length it was a real slog and anything fractionally off line was a chop sideways or more usually a lost ball

+1 for St. Mellion Nicklaus

Straight or Dead pretty much. Only place I've played where I have been asked if a could lend a few balls by a chap playing behind us. Met him in the bar afterwards. Turns out he was a 6 handicapper who had been given permission to play off the very back tees (Old B&H set up). Out of bullets by 14th!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
+1 for St. Mellion Nicklaus
Didn't see much of it as they recommended we take buggies. Because the cart track was so far from the fairways we spent most of the time walking down from the track and back up. Didn't find it extra tough except for the physical slog.