Totally shocked, (The Sequal)

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On Friday I posted on here how shocked I was to be asked to play for the club (h/c26) in a Mixed greensomes match on Sunday, due mainly of people pulling out due to other golfing arrangements. I duly accepted the invitation and went to play a 2 ball on Saturday with the thought of having a good solid round, which is something easier said than done for a 26h/c.
However after parring 5 of the first 7 holes things couldn't have gone better, I finished the front 9 with 23 points, with one blowout, and played very well on the back 9 to record another 18 points for 41 points and my best round at my club since I joined in March.

So onto the match on Sunday, my lady partner is a good 15h/c and I feel confident, even though we are playing off the white tees. So after letting our (man) guest to drive off first I walk onto the tee. Nothing spectacular 5 wood straight down the middle (I only carry a 3 + 5 wood) but our guest scramble a half, but we are up and running. A 12 foot putt for a half on the second and I am settling in well. Another 6 footer on the 3rd gives us another half. A 20 footer to within 3 inches is good enough for another half, all square after 4.
We swop holes on 5 and 6 with me hitting my 3 wood approximately 260+ yards on the 6th, I don’t know where that came from, my average distance even in the dry is about 210 with the occasional 220 - 230. I sink another 12 to win the 7th, but giving shots away at 8 and 9 mean the guest lead by one at the turn.
We turn the shot around that we give our guests at the 10th (SI 1!) to go back to All Square, and win the 11th when they 3 putt. The gentlemen putts in from of the green to win the 12th, with my 25 foot putt of a half missing by about 1/2 inch.

A solid 5 (par 4) after a great drive by my partner puts us in front again, and another fantastic drive by my lady puts the pressure on the guest who put 2 balls into the trees. Another super drive by my partner leaves the ball pin high but just off the 15th green, my 30 foot putt to within 18 inches have the guest picking up after finding water. Dormy 3. We lose the 16th to the shot that we are giving, and I miss a 4 footer for a half and a win on the 17th.
Off to the 18th white tee which is about 60 yards behind the ladies tee. Trees right and a long pond all the way down the left, my gentleman opponent plays safe and hits a straight (not long) drive. I take my 3 wood and blast one right of centre which is the perfect spot and it bounds on and on, and leaves a 120 yard chipping wedge (wind behind) for my partner which goes though the green, our opponents struggle next to the pond and eventually concede to leave us 2 up at the end.

So my first (unexpected) taste of representing my club, and what great fun, our game was competitive but very friendly and I think our guests enjoyed the day.
All 6 matches were decided on the 18th so both the handicap secretary's were delighted. I think the result in the end is academic, at the end of the day I think everyone had a good day, and for personally, yes I want to do it all again.

janmolby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well done, I was wondering this morning how you got on. I'd love to be playing in competitions but don't think I'm consistent enough yet but I'm getting there, maybe in another few months time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well done. I enjoy our club matches and its always good to get a win but as long as you played reasonably well and enjoyed the day that's all that matters. The good thing will be that you will be remembered for winning and I'm sure you'll get the nod again soon.