TopTracer Everywhere

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always thought TT accounted for the fact they were range balls and gave a ‘proper ball’ reading? ie, you might actually be hitting your 7i 140 with a range ball, but TT adds the relevant calculation and spits out 150 or whatever it might be?
Not sure how it could do that when there's bound be a lot of variance between different range balls as well?

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure how it could do that when there's bound be a lot of variance between different range balls as well?

I just assumed it’s not actually tracking the ball itself, rather the stats around the strike, such as club head speed, angle of attack, club face path, spin and all that malarkey and comes out with a number. In the same way that those indoor ones work essentially?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just assumed it’s not actually tracking the ball itself, rather the stats around the strike, such as club head speed, angle of attack, club face path, spin and all that malarkey and comes out with a number. In the same way that those indoor ones work essentially?
I don't know. I thought Top Tracer literally just traced the ball with a camera and that was it. What you're talking about doing required a launch monitor does it not? Or are they the same thing?? :LOL:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
One of these has opened close to where I work - slightly out of the way for me, but was tempted to give it a go.

I like info / data stats etc., which is why it appealed to me, but from reading through this it seems it's more gimmicky - ie will give a ball flight, but not any actual useful data (strike location, spin etc.). Guess I was confused with a launch monitor.

So, is there any actual benefit other than it being a bit of fun?

dronfield

Visit site

When i had lessons at a range, the pro had a device that could detail; loft of clubface at impact, spin on ball, distance hit etc. Not sure if this was TT or another device?

Rich

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
One of these has opened close to where I work - slightly out of the way for me, but was tempted to give it a go.

I like info / data stats etc., which is why it appealed to me, but from reading through this it seems it's more gimmicky - ie will give a ball flight, but not any actual useful data (strike location, spin etc.). Guess I was confused with a launch monitor.

So, is there any actual benefit other than it being a bit of fun?
I tend to ignore the total distances etc due to it being range balls.

But you can still work certain things to get the strike more consistent. Or things you're doing to improve ball speed.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I like TT. Yes it is range balls, but if you hit a good one, you get a number to judge the others by. I have a habit of letting my swing speed drop, and this is a good way of making a comparison.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I owned a range I'd be applying for a licence to sell alcohol, serve pizza, play music.

Let's get that range rocking.

sounds great, think you need to add a couple of bays in a quiet, soundproofed zone with no access to the bar etc too for those who dont want to have any fun though ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We've lost one course/ range sold off for housing development, two courses with ranges left. One is also down to be sold off in part for housing, reducing it to 9 holes, not sure about the range. It's not the best range we have, which is a shame because it is only about 500 yards from my house. The other is getting TopTtracer at some time soon, it is already a packed range without it, be interesting to see how they cater if TT brings in even more business. Rumour is that Top Golf is also coming to MK

which ones becoming 9 holes? Windmill? Assume Scabby is getting TT

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would be more than happy to have one of these facilities down the road from me. I find the range boring at the best of times so a bit of gadgetry or a game element like Top Golf may actually make it interesting. I have no problem with noise or what others are doing, if it is too distracting then I can stick a pair of headphones in, as for kids messing around, all fine with me. All it takes is for one of those kids to cream a few out of the middle and enjoy it and there you have future golfer. To get younger people interested it has to be fun for them and maybe a bit of messing around at a range that is not club affiliated and thus free of the controlling influences is what is necessary. I can see an outbreak of pitch and put courses aimed at a similar audience being the next thing and I would be all for it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't know. I thought Top Tracer literally just traced the ball with a camera and that was it. What you're talking about doing required a launch monitor does it not? Or are they the same thing?? :LOL:

God knows, you may well be right! 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Long Crendon (Thame) installed it in April
Haven't been down there since as im not overly find of the range itself
I assume the prices have gone up.
To be honest, unless you're using proper balls at least similar to what you use on the course, is the data of any real use?
It's not something that would inspire me to go along and use.

Apparently the TT thingy at crendon gives you the data as if you were using a premium ball as well as the data for the range ball.
No idea how this works, I was told by a guy last week.
Also it’s a tenner for a basket of 90 balls apparently.

Not interested in trying it personally at the moment, maybe in the depths of winter I might have a look.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Apparently the TT thingy at crendon gives you the data as if you were using a premium ball as well as the data for the range ball.
No idea how this works, I was told by a guy last week.
Also it’s a tenner for a basket of 90 balls apparently.

Not interested in trying it personally at the moment, maybe in the depths of winter I might have a look.
That price has almost doubled if I remember correctly. Sure it used to be £5 for 75 or something like that.
Apart from everything else, at the range I go to, I can get 80 balls for £6.50. It's 5 minutes up the road, not nearly 20 to Crendon,
I'm not that interested in extrapolated data at 10 quid a time...

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
That price has almost doubled if I remember correctly. Sure it used to be £5 for 75 or something like that.
Apart from everything else, at the range I go to, I can get 80 balls for £6.50. It's 5 minutes up the road, not nearly 20 to Crendon,
I'm not that interested in extrapolated data at 10 quid a time...

Have driven past there 3 or 4 times a week for the past 19 years, and never once stopped for a gander. Not really convincing me to change my mind.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Have driven past there 3 or 4 times a week for the past 19 years, and never once stopped for a gander. Not really convincing me to change my mind.
Sorry...:ROFLMAO:
Nice little shop and an ok range. It just slopes down hill so you can't be sure of the flight on the level
Plus the mats in the bays have way too many lines and curves on them for my liking....

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Beginners need to learn, range is a great place to learn, of course you're going to get the odd ball bounce off a roof or ricochet off a pillar - it happens. Laugh it off.

I think you're the one who needs to respect others who have a lesser ability and need somewhere to learn and practice.

You know very well he is not describing kids going to the range to learn golf and getting a little out of hand. He, and others, are describing kids and youths who have no interest whatsoever in the game, but who are using the electronics available to mess about at some sort of contest without any concern as to who they disrupt.
The point being made is that this type of behaviour has increased it seems since the ranges were "converted" to the TT.
It is a scenario a long way from that your last sentence describes.And if you didn't know that before, you can now be aware that this is the reality.

And it isn't welcomed by enough of us to justify comment.Hence the thread.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You know very well he is not describing kids going to the range to learn golf and getting a little out of hand. He, and others, are describing kids and youths who have no interest whatsoever in the game, but who are using the electronics available to mess about at some sort of contest without any concern as to who they disrupt.
The point being made is that this type of behaviour has increased it seems since the ranges were "converted" to the TT.
It is a scenario a long way from that your last sentence describes.And if you didn't know that before, you can now be aware that this is the reality.

And it isn't welcomed by enough of us to justify comment.Hence the thread.

Utter tosh. Ranges are for everyone not for stuck up selfish people who don't think everyone has the right to use them. Whether there is shenanigans going on or not people can pay money and use them. Ranges are for fun and to allow people of all walks of life and ability to try golf.

Get over yourself trying to say a bit of Tom Foolery isn't allowed or part and parcel of going to a range.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Trafford golf centre got it a while ago.

Think it used to be £5/50, £8/100, and £10/150, they changed it to 40/80/120 and kept the prices the same.

TT was free to start with. Then they changed it to £5 per hour off peak and £8 peak if I remember rightly.