TopTracer Everywhere

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can anyone even manage to hit 120 balls!

I know I would be crippled the following day having hit that many.
Crippling boredom for me. If I ever hit more than 60 balls at the range I end up slapping them all over because I can't be arsed with anymore.

Long Crendon (Thame) installed it in April
Haven't been down there since as im not overly find of the range itself
I assume the prices have gone up.
To be honest, unless you're using proper balls at least similar to what you use on the course, is the data of any real use?
It's not something that would inspire me to go along and use.
Agree with this. Who wants the data for a shot with a dead range ball with a dent in one side of it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my local ranges has installed the system in every bay and it is absolutely rammed most evenings and weekends. I was up there at 2.00pm last Saturday and every bay taken and people waiting. I like the system (some useful stuff when working on my game) but the basket prices are getting higher and higher. Fortunately I have a card I top up and so get a discounted rate but still nearly £8 for the biggest basket (120 balls)
Place I used to go is £8 for 100 balls, and that's without any TopTracer. :unsure:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hit 140 balls on the range on Sunday, must make me some sort of maniac.

I would not normally hit that many but I havent been playing much and lacking confidence. Took me a while to get into a stride and then I wanted to keep going to ingrain the feeling into my swing.

I brought a coffee with me and just chilled out for a while between shots, good way to spend an afternoon.

Although i did get frustrated for a bit and started rushing shots trying to hit a good one. Just had to step back and really think about what I was trying to achieve and getting into the positions to allow me to do that

Our range around the corner from me is £1 for 20 balls. Another one close by sometimes does double balls but it is £1 for 15 which increases the more you spend, I think £5 gets you 95

One_7

www.one7.co.uk
Two of the ranges local to me have just put them in.
I had fifty balls at one, actually a token I had left from an earlier session. It was fun (I've used one before), apparently the basket prices have doubled though.

Wonder how long before I end up seeking out an old school range.

I mostly practice down at Drayton, I hope its well used for the folks running the range but doesn't do anything for me really!! Someone mentioned that Witney were getting it installed as well.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Sadly we have a non-TT range near me as well as a TT version and both have the same problem of youngsters treating it as a playground and simply smashing balls as hard as they can and occasionally off the underside of the covering roof. At least for the summer I have the practice ground but in a few weeks I'll have to simply get a bay as close to either end and maybe stick my earphones in

Man, imagine these youngsters trying to enjoy themselves! Crazy idea - going to the range and smashing some balls for fun.

And here's me thinking golf was in decline - obviously not so let's frown at people having fun on the range. Christ the highlight for me when I was a lad was when the tractor came round to collect balls, used to waste most of my basket trying to skelp the tractor.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Man, imagine these youngsters trying to enjoy themselves! Crazy idea - going to the range and smashing some balls for fun.

And here's me thinking golf was in decline - obviously not so let's frown at people having fun on the range. Christ the highlight for me when I was a lad was when the tractor came round to collect balls, used to waste most of my basket trying to skelp the tractor.
I was at Top Golf once, the ball collecting tractor starting going round and one feller started throwing his golf balls to try and hit it! That really was a waste. Funny though. :LOL:

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Not got an issue per se but when the balls are coming off the inside off the roof into your bay when they are hitting 3 wood off the highest tee it becomes a tad irksome. Smash away and enjoy yourself but have respect for those around you.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not got an issue per se but when the balls are coming off the inside off the roof into your bay when they are hitting 3 wood off the highest tee it becomes a tad irksome. Smash away and enjoy yourself but have respect for those around you.

Beginners need to learn, range is a great place to learn, of course you're going to get the odd ball bounce off a roof or ricochet off a pillar - it happens. Laugh it off.

I think you're the one who needs to respect others who have a lesser ability and need somewhere to learn and practice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember being taken to a Topgolf for the first time and being shocked at the price! (I must becoming a yokel)
It's true, it's very expensive compared to driving ranges, but I don't think they see or market themselves as a genuine golf practise facility. More as a social venue, like going bowling for example.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Toptracer is veering ranges in the direction of TopGolf.
It will attract people who are on a social and it will make it harder for those who want to concentrate on their practice.
That's why there needs to be a balance.
I think (hope) the traditional range will be around for many a moon to cater for those who simply don't want the "razzamataz" of the Toptracer/TopGolf scenario.

Brizo1411

Visit site
One I use is £4.50 for 50 balls and £7.00 for 100
No sign of TT yet, hope it stays that way.
only thing I don’t like about it is you can’t take your golf bag in with you you have to take individual irons as you walk through the pro shop to access it

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s a bit weird to be talking about a range being traditional but I guess we’re using traditional in regards to the functionality/set-up of the place rather than the conduct etc (although a couple of posts hinting that a range should have a certain atmosphere/player conduct that’s more conducive to their liking for the purpose of practicing

We’ve often had topics about traditional golf clubs and what to expect, do folks think we need some ranges to remain traditional too? (not talking technology, but the dress-code, conduct etc)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It’s a bit weird to be talking about a range being traditional but I guess we’re using traditional in regards to the functionality/set-up of the place rather than the conduct etc (although a couple of posts hinting that a range should have a certain atmosphere/player conduct that’s more conducive to their liking for the purpose of practicing

We’ve often had topics about traditional golf clubs and what to expect, do folks think we need some ranges to remain traditional too? (not talking technology, but the dress-code, conduct etc)

If I owned a range I'd be applying for a licence to sell alcohol, serve pizza, play music.

Let's get that range rocking.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
A normal range might be useful enough if the targets are realistic. Hitting the same club to the 150 and 190 yard target, you know it’s not worth doing it. At least Toptracer gives consistent distances. Of course on range balls, but at least you know it’s all the same or not.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Beginners need to learn, range is a great place to learn, of course you're going to get the odd ball bounce off a roof or ricochet off a pillar - it happens. Laugh it off.

I think you're the one who needs to respect others who have a lesser ability and need somewhere to learn and practice.
Nothing to do with lesser ability or learning to play. In fact these ranges do have parents with young kids who are being shown how to play. My issue is with the 12-18 bracket clearly up there to be as loud as possible and generally muck about. Sadly once one hits it off the roof they think it's a great laugh and all try to do it. Not great when it then comes into where you are hitting. There again I think you know that and are simply replying to provoke responses

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always thought TT accounted for the fact they were range balls and gave a ‘proper ball’ reading? ie, you might actually be hitting your 7i 140 with a range ball, but TT adds the relevant calculation and spits out 150 or whatever it might be?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
We've lost one course/ range sold off for housing development, two courses with ranges left. One is also down to be sold off in part for housing, reducing it to 9 holes, not sure about the range. It's not the best range we have, which is a shame because it is only about 500 yards from my house. The other is getting TopTtracer at some time soon, it is already a packed range without it, be interesting to see how they cater if TT brings in even more business. Rumour is that Top Golf is also coming to MK

dronfield

Visit site
We now only have 1 range locally - a mate and me go up once a week and share a basket. Does get very busy around 6.30 and it also has a decent bar area with large screen sky sports.
Seem pretty proactive, got a couple of pros and do midweek junior coaching which seems very popular. They were doing a lot of work there creating a seperate function room for hiring out.
Not got TT which is not an issue for me - would rather they kept the prices cheapish (£4 -40 balls).

Rich