Topping - if that's what it's called

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Hi.

I have a disasterous habit of hitting the ball not very far and not very high into the ground a few feet in front of the tee or fairway. This is by far the weakest part of my game. I've read various ways of curing this, but my head fills up with all sorts of rubbish when addressing the ball (I have a tendency to hook), and consequently tend to be quite erratic.

Are there any simple pre shot thoughts or routines that might help with this, and are the hook and the topping related to the same basic error that I have?

Many thanks

Graham

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
You could try moving the ball an inch or two to your right and see if that helps. It sounds like you are too shallow on impact and your hands have already started to turn over to a finish. What can you lose, give it a go!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
following on from a post that mentioned setting up with the ball further toward the toe of the club (sorry can't remember whose), I did some experimenting.

First I put some big red X's on some range balls then checked where the impact mark was on the club face. Most were toward the heel.

I used Typex to put a row of alignment marks on the head of the driver, about an inch apart toward the toe (don't worry it comes off very easily and leaves no marks).

What I have found is that if I set up with the ball about an inch outside the centre I get a better strike.

As to topping - how far forward is the ball?

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thats a good method of discovery viscount.
Apart from what has been said I would have to see you to comment accurately but in my experience most people top the ball due to inconsistant swing, lifting arms out of swing rotation, rising in their stance just before ball contact or inconsistant set up.(ball position)

Many of the causes are purely nerves or over zelous attack of the ball.

If it is a fundimental problem with your swing it would need looking at by someone in the know.

You could carry out viscounts method to find your problem or get someone to video a round and hopefully catch one of your unforced toppings, that would give you an idea of its cause.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It sounds to me very much like my old habit of laterally moving in the swing, normally caused by swinging way too far on the backswing and creating a reverse pivot. My advice is to check your ball position initially and then to aim for a 3/4 swing so the shoulder is just under the chin. Try and keep a good flex in the knees throughout.

Billser

Club Champion
Visit site
brendy I think you might be reffering to teeing up on the toe, so when you lift the club off the ground the ball SHOULD in theory be in the centre of the clubface, think I explained that right, I know what I mean anyway!

although far be it for me to try teach anyone!

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
An old school tip in golf is picking small targets. So when you are aiming the shot rather then aiming for the fairway, you aim for a leaf or a patch of grass. This helps with focus.

I think this also applies to addressing the ball. Rather then just keeping your eye on the ball and thinking, I must hit the ball. Visualise whereabouts on the ball you want to strike and hold this in your mind. I found this a good method of making me hit the ball on the club face rather then hitting into its centre with the club edge and topping.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I tend to top the ball if I lift or move my head too early on the downswing, I just now think about the whiteness of the ball and it removes swing thoughts and moving my head.