Top spec. waterproof/breathable shell jacket- where to look?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm starting to look for a good quality waterproof jacket.

It must be breathable.

It must be light.

It must be cut in sympathy with the needs of swinging a club without restriction, pinching or gathering.

It must be 'foldy' enough to fit into a large pocket of a medium sized trolley bag.

Above all it has to be '18 hole comfortable' without wanting to take it off when there's a short break in the clouds.

I'm not looking for something that combines layers as I have the base and mid-layers sorted.

Now, before anyone says Galvin Green I must confess that i'm not entirely convinced. Some of their gear that might fit the bill stretches into several hundred pounds and for the same kind of money there must be something out there by Helly Hanson, Berghaus or one of the usual bunch of outdoor activity names with the same technology.

The only thing that might convince me is if GG stuff is cut for golf but I can't find any supporting evidence in the web to this effect.

Weve had breathable fabrics around for ages now and can't believe this hasn't been sorted .

Any ideas?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got a stubert one for 39 quid, its all of the above. Last years models at knock down prices seems to be the way to go for something affordable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you want something that is reasonably priced, durable, room enough to swing etc I would recommend Pro-Quip and the ultralite model

My one has lasted over three years without any problems and HID has even washed the trousers on numerous occasions in the middle of winter without any detrimental effect on the waterproofing

You should be able to find these widely across the net and if you use Pricerunner (or similar) should be able to get a good price especially if you want last years range as they will be discounting them to shift them now summer is here :D

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I will say Galvin Green, but only because I got a Gore-tex Austin jacket for £90 off ebay from a golf retailer in the Channel Islands. Okay so it was lime green, but what the heck. It was retailing at the time at AG etc for £249.

It really is a good jacket and with the Alf trousers to go with it, it has been a god send for the last 2 months as it has rained every time I've been out playing.

julsk10

Head Pro
Visit site
I would definately recommend Galvin Green, although they are that bit more expensive they do exactly what they are meant to do... keep you completely dry. When it comes to washing them if you follow advice from website it recommends washing with no softener and you can even dry them in tumble dryer as this 'reactivates' the waterproofness

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
As Julsk says, do not under any cicumstances use fabric softener, I won't use the stuff on any of my yachting or golfing kit. That's waterproofs, shirts trousers etc, it's no good for modern breathable materials. Persionally I just rinse the waterproofs in the shower.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Going to add my name to the GG list.

On reading you post if you can find a Pac lite top (single layer) I think it will fit the bill.

The cap is good too.

Keep an eye open for sales/Ebay to get them at reasonable prices.

I have one with me being of sturdy (fat) construction they work extremely well.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for replies all.

Given me plenty to think about.

I'm off to start some research and will report findings that may be of interest to others looking for a similar garment.

First stop probably Nevada Bobs (as it's close) to see what's out there.

If I can find a jacket that's fairly sedate in it's colour range I might be able to justify upping the budget by having it double up as a general lightweight summer 'blouson' jacket as well as a golf waterproof.

bill

D

Deleted member 1147

I bought some cracking J Lindberg waterproofs this winter.

It was expensive but really lightweight and comfortable and even Sundays hail storm didn't get through.

I only bought them however because the Belfry had a 3 for 2 offer on that day - otherwise would have been well out of my price range!

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Has anyone bought any CG off the interweb? Recommend any retailers?

I'm disappointed in online golf - choice/sizes are quite limited for CG clothing when they are so good for everything else?

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another Vote for the Galvin Green Austin Jacket. 100% waterproof, great fitting. Bought from a pro shop on ebay, half shop price. Recommended.

Great value if you use for everyday wear when walking, etc. :rolleyes:

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Minor update. I was wandering past a branch of Blacks (outdoor retailer) on the way home from work the other day and thought i would pop in to see if they had any garments made with this thinner version of Gore-tex called 'Paclite'.

Indeed they did and and can offer the opinion that it is very flexible and thin. I could see it being a real asset in golf weather gear. I can also confirm that my inital sceptiscm about GG being cut for golf have been countered by further reading. It seems that thought and planning does indeed go into cutting these garments in sympathy with the needs of golfers.

On a broader note, if we are to consider using 'the layering system' to expand the conditions we can play in comfortably then all layers must be breathable and wicking.

Aside from my base layer it seems than none of it is and this needs resolving if a golfer is to benefit from the full effect.

Example: A quick look at the care tabs on my golf polos and jumpers show that they are made predominantly from cotton or wool, both natural fibres and both almost useless for allowing moisure to pass through them.

Polos in fact present quite a problem as were all more or less obliged to wear them but do we treat them as a base layer or mid layer? Well it seems they are (probably correctly) marketed as a base layer since they offer few thermal properties. If that's the case then we need a polo shirt with the technical properties of a base layer. A quick punt round the web shows that many of the usual golf marques are producing such shirts (inevitably at a higher price point )that fit the bill.

The jumper is more of a problem although there again such garments can be bought although they don't seem to offer the conventional cut and style of a golf jumper. More like a fleece top.

Clearly in summer weather none of this is a problem but much of our golf in Britain is played in marginal weather with the threat of rain never far away. It seems sensible to be prepared for such eventualities therefore even if it does mean a greater investment of planning and money (no surprises there then).

More rambling thoughts to follow.....

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Well researched.

Been a fan of having the right kit for yacht racing (inshore and long distance) for many years. The kit is so much better than it was when I started 30 years ago. It basically works on a 3 layer principle.

Layer one
Base layer, notice I did not use the word thermals, although they offer some thermal properties, there main role is to wick moisture away from the skin, therefore making you more comfortable and ultimately warmer than if wearing a damp (through seat) cooton top.

Layer 2
This is your thermal layer. Ideally it should be breathable, warm and windproof. If it's also waterproof fabric (not the seams generally) then so much the better.

Layer 3
Waterproof layer, often referred to as the 'hard shell', as it's only role is to be completely waterproof and wind proof, and once again be breathable. Though level of breathability is directly related to price.

Luckily most of my sailing kit covers the base layer. As for the rest I have quick drying trousers, as there's nothing worse than damp trousers clinging to your legs. A Gore-Tex 'Windstopper' top from Musto for the mid layer to over my quick drying 'Fred Perry' style collared T shirt. The great thing about the wind stopper is that it's designed to be used in an active sport, so therefore does not restrict my swing.

Mind you had to buy the GG's for the outer layer as yottie kit, though made with the same Gore-Tex, is much bulkier and heavier due to the fact that it gets trashed on a boat and therefore the base material that the Gore-Tex is bonded to is much thicker.

However buy of the month this year, considering the weather we've had, has been a pair of Seal Skinz waterproof and breathable socks. Had dry and warm feet all month. I highly recommend them.

Sorry to have gone on but technical clothing is such a huge subject.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Very informative post Hapless.

Being an angler I made a point of finding out about technical clothing as I found it no fun sitting,waiting for a bite and basically freezing your butt off!

Get the layers right and you'll be toasty.

One myth that people seem to think is that Goretex keeps you warm. No,no,no,no,no!
Goretex is purely windproof, waterproof and breathable. No thermal qualities whatsoever.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agreed.

It's a huge topic and one I haven't paid much attention to in the past but a winter full of energy sapping humid, clammy slogs up the fairway have got me thinking about it.

I'm hoping to average about 400 hours golf this April -April so it's hardy a frivilous or pointless exercise.

Most of this stuff can double for leisure walking/rambling too and it should last for a good while.

Another ancilliary bonus is that if you get it sorted then all but the hardy head for the clubhouse when the dark clouds roll in equalling clearer courses for the remainder.

Result