Top courses in worst condition

D

Deleted member 15344

Dumbarnie Links, easily the best conditioned course I have ever played (in 2020 & 2021) has just shut until June because of the greens.
Had seen several people on the Scotland Golf facebook group complain about the greens. Odd that it was utterly perfect last year and its only this winter (which was fairly light on snow and frost) they were ruined. They must have done something to them and it didnt work.
542AE981-FE43-4F49-9576-61573AD7312F.jpeg
6A0633A8-D94B-4619-B51A-BCDC7AA74FC3.jpeg4A7A9CC2-DB7B-4143-A38C-535B33E9BE03.jpeg7C662911-E45D-43B5-B75F-94C37F730993.jpeg

peld

Visit site
These were the greens on September 18th 2021:
(my pal, not me, looking downtrodden going to the bunker on the first!)

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    660.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 32

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Dumbarnie Links, easily the best conditioned course I have ever played (in 2020 & 2021) has just shut until June because of the greens.
Had seen several people on the Scotland Golf facebook group complain about the greens. Odd that it was utterly perfect last year and its only this winter (which was fairly light on snow and frost) they were ruined. They must have done something to them and it didnt work.
Quite possibly Fusarium, an 'ever-present' (distributed on wind and through foot traffic) fungis that used to be treatable with, now banned, fungicides. Likes mild weather conditions where dew stays on the surface.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They might be a lot less subs, but a) they are quite a drive away if you live in Central/West Edinburgh (petrol would more than offset the differential) and b) please point me in the direction of one you can actually join in the next few years?!?!
The waiting times at courses in EL has got a lot longer recently.
For links courses, Craigielaw is one that may well have space.
Other decent courses more inland like Longniddry, Haddington, Royal Musselburgh may have a short or no wait.

peld

Visit site
And is (well, was when I was working in Edinburgh) well worth the drive!
nah
Its a decent enough course, lovely clubhouse but not one i'd travel regularly over there for.
If I lived over there (and couldnt join Gullane) i'd just cough up for Archerfield.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They might be a lot less subs, but a) they are quite a drive away if you live in Central/West Edinburgh (petrol would more than offset the differential) and b) please point me in the direction of one you can actually join in the next few years?!?!
There's only 2 'available' ones in Edinburgh City I'd enjoy playing week in/week out (Mortonhall and Duddingston) though Musselburgh/Monktonhall would also qualify if 'close enough'.
On the other hand, ANY links course provides sufficient variety to be constantly enjoyable.
I don't count Dalmahoy as a 'city' course btw.
Cost would also be a (major) consideration though, and I suspect the city courses are significantly more expensive than EL ones.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There's only 2 'available' ones in Edinburgh City I'd enjoy playing week in/week out (Mortonhall and Duddingston) though Musselburgh/Monktonhall would also qualify if 'close enough'.
On the other hand, ANY links course provides sufficient variety to be constantly enjoyable.
Cost would also be a (major) consideration though, and I suspect the city courses are significantly more expensive than EL ones.

Yes, the city ones do seem to be expensive in comparison.
I've play Mortonhall and Murrayfield quite a lot. Not a huge fan of either personally.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
nah
Its a decent enough course, lovely clubhouse but not one i'd travel regularly over there for.
If I lived over there (and couldnt join Gullane) i'd just cough up for Archerfield.
It was part of my daily routine when up there....
NextGen at 6:45 (past the last of the fish market); 45 mins of Gym, then shower and off to work; Work (Dundas St) @7:50; Work till 4:30; C'Law by 5:00; maybe quick beer; Fishers in the City for Halibut or Mahi Mahi and a Kiwi Sauvignon; maybe visit Whisky Society before digs and restart cycle!(y)

Albo

Visit site
It was part of my daily routine when up there....
NextGen at 6:45 (past the last of the fish market); 45 mins of Gym, then shower and off to work; Work (Dundas St) @7:50; Work till 4:30; C'Law by 5:00; maybe quick beer; Fishers in the City for Halibut or Mahi Mahi and a Kiwi Sauvignon; maybe visit Whisky Society before digs and restart cycle!(y)
Who were you working for?

Whisky Socety ex member myslef and used to work in Dundas St too

peld

Visit site
Im yet to play Mortonhall (though playing it in a couple of weeks actually), and Duddingston is okay.
I havent played Burgess yet (playing in Sept) but a lot say Bruntsfield is the better course.

FYI Dalmahoy have two great courses, brilliant design, but is just a bit scruffy - too many visitors, too much traffic and not enough maintainiance. It should be the premier place between East Lothian and Gleneagles.

Albo

Visit site
Im yet to play Mortonhall (though playing it in a couple of weeks actually), and Duddingston is okay.
I havent played Burgess yet (playing in Sept) but a lot say Bruntsfield is the better course.

FYI Dalmahoy have two great courses, brilliant design, but is just a bit scruffy - too many visitors, too much traffic and not enough maintainiance. It should be the premier place between East Lothian and Gleneagles.
Friend of mine said last year that Mortonhall was in bad nick last year, not sure if its in good shape this year or not

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes, the city ones do seem to be expensive in comparison.
I've play Mortonhall and Murrayfield quite a lot. Not a huge fan of either personally.
Not played Murrayfield, even with a Boss as a member. Drove past it often enough. Heard it was a bit short, albeit pleasant, so generlly headed to C'Law where every round was different conditions.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I played Dalmahoy quite a bit - before the changes to the last 3 holes were made as a workmate was a member. Actually won the company B knockout one year on the 'Wee' course.
I think there's a bit of competition for that 'premier' place, at least in terms of golf! Stayed there once for intra-company match too.