Courses in Best Condition

4LEX

Visit site
Wentworth West these days is always different level. Greens on sub air, limited footfall and a huge greenkeeping team.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What was better there compared to Bearwood Lakes and Queenwood?

Only played Queenwood once and that was also amazing condition albeit greens were not at their speedy as best as they had just relaid them. Bearwood is in great nick outside of the wet winter period but the greens and overall conditioning at JCB were on a different level - it is brand new and has probably a tenth of the traffic of bearwood so not hard ro understand why - and knowing the architect and following his journey through the build, they went to town on drainage and their maintenance routine of sand banding etc is top notch. They are all stunning compared to most and Queenwood likely to be amazing all the time but I was so impressed with JCB given the monsoon of previous days

AddisonRoad

Visit site
I think pro courses, particularly in the US, can look flawless but don't underestimate the amount of extra staff brought in, the restrictions to play coming up to the tournament. You also won't often see the walks between tees and greens that always get the most wear. In saying that, the list I gave, first ones in particular, have all excelled when I have been lucky enough to play them. They really did stand out in a way you can only appreciate when you played that level of course. I didn't 'get it' before playing them, I do now.

I would also throw in, it can depend when you play a course. We have a tough spell in the UK from mid October through to late April/mid May where we don't get much growth and it is asking an awful lot for perfection during those times. The best courses still do that, or come mighty close but that comes down to a lot of staff, top eqt etc.

Yes, I guess the US courses also have a habit of spray painting all the greens and fairways. Perhaps my assessments of courses have been a bit tough since I haven't been playing the peak summer months. Looking forward to seeing what it's like in June/July.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
How about ‘courses in best condition that are accessible to all’ ?
A lot those mentioned are exclusive and do not welcome visitors.

D

Deleted member 1147

How about ‘courses in best condition that are accessible to all’ ?
A lot those mentioned are exclusive and do not welcome visitors.
You can play nearly all the clubs mentioned so far. Only a few you can’t.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
You can play nearly all the clubs mentioned so far. Only a few you can’t.
Apologies, I’ve read it again, my mistake, I just got sucked into the Bearwood, Queenwood, JCB discussion, along with mention of The Wisley and Valderamma, correct me if I’m wrong but I don‘t think they are open to green fee players.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Apologies, I’ve read it again, my mistake, I just got sucked into the Bearwood, Queenwood, JCB discussion, along with mention of The Wisley and Valderamma, correct me if I’m wrong but I don‘t think they are open to green fee players.
Valderamma is but it's about 500 euros with the mandatory caddie. Not worth it imho but more than happy to play it once a year for free ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
On me journey back from Scarborough yesterday we passed Ganton, never knew where it was but heard a few on here rave about it. Just had a peruse on Google maps. ? it looks brutal.

evemccc

Visit site
On me journey back from Scarborough yesterday we passed Ganton, never knew where it was but heard a few on here rave about it. Just had a peruse on Google maps. ? it looks brutal.

Superb course. A cross-between Woodhall Spa’s Hotchkin and Aldeburgh IMO

Lovely far-reaching views, as well as being a great strategic challenge - and most of all, a brute ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tbh the best condition course I've ever played be it winter or summer is Muirfield. I don't think you could ever say that had heavy traffic. Last time I played I can't even remember seeing so much as a divot.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tbh the best condition course I've ever played be it winter or summer is Muirfield. I don't think you could ever say that had heavy traffic. Last time I played I can't even remember seeing so much as a divot.
Agreed, Muirfield appears to always to be in great condition.
Although, the once I played in (July about 5 years ago) the greens were no better than my own club or St. Andrews old in October or Royal Troon in summer.

A long time ago but, at that time, the best greens I had ever played on were at Frilford Heath. I hadn't played a real quality course before there (1995?) and they blew me away.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
East Sussex National in it's prime was always immaculate in the spring and summer. As they have increased the footfall, then fear the quality has dropped. I heard they also phased out the bent grass greens, but I can't find anything reliable to confirm that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have done work on Ganton.
Your right it’s a fantastic golf course if you have your A game ,if not it’s brutal.
Has a dormy house and is a great place to play golf.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Are all top courses not always in great condition? If I payed more than £50 for a green fee I would expect nothing less than immaculate!
You would expect that but what happens when you turn up the week after they have had work on the greens ☹️