Courses in Best Condition

AddisonRoad

Visit site
What are some excellent UK courses in terms of condition? I'm not talking about scenery, fun, unique holes, or any other elements. Interested to see if anyone has some good-value courses (or not so good-value courses) that they thought were extremely well-maintained!

I feel like some of the top courses in the country must receive a lot of traffic, which must mean that some of them are worn out. However, I've only played a few of the top 100, so I could be wrong!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any course that I have played that has come in the top 200 list has been bang on, no matter the time of year. They may have a lot of traffic but they also have a lot of greens staff that carefully look after them.

To throw in some names that I have played that have been bang on, Gleneagles, Kings & Queens, Turnberry, both, Alwoodley, Moortown, Ganton, Moor Allerton, Close House, both, Rockcliffe Hall. All of those have been spot on, immaculate.

Plenty of others have been excellent, a high quality of maintenance, particularly in summer, Alnmouth, Whitley Bay, Arcot Hall, Oakdale, Knaresborough, Cleveland spring to mind. I've left out good, just mentioned excellent.

I suspect you are going to get hit with a lot of names here :D

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Any course that I have played that has come in the top 200 list has been bang on, no matter the time of year. They may have a lot of traffic but they also have a lot of greens staff that carefully look after them.

To throw in some names that I have played that have been bang on, Gleneagles, Kings & Queens, Turnberry, both, Alwoodley, Moortown, Ganton, Moor Allerton, Close House, both, Rockcliffe Hall. All of those have been spot on, immaculate.

Plenty of others have been excellent, a high quality of maintenance, particularly in summer, Alnmouth, Whitley Bay, Arcot Hall, Oakdale, Knaresborough, Cleveland spring to mind. I've left out good, just mentioned excellent.

I suspect you are going to get hit with a lot of names here :D

Nice - I guess I'm interested in answers to this question because I've been to some courses that seem to have patchy greens, and muddy walkways, despite being well-respected courses. However, being relatively new to the game (only started playing again about 18 months ago), I wonder if all of this is normal wear and tear, and I just assume that some golf courses are entirely flawless. I think I've been watching too many majors on TV, lol.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice - I guess I'm interested in answers to this question because I've been to some courses that seem to have patchy greens, and muddy walkways, despite being well-respected courses. However, being relatively new to the game (only started playing again about 18 months ago), I wonder if all of this is normal wear and tear, and I just assume that some golf courses are entirely flawless. I think I've been watching too many majors on TV, lol.
I think pro courses, particularly in the US, can look flawless but don't underestimate the amount of extra staff brought in, the restrictions to play coming up to the tournament. You also won't often see the walks between tees and greens that always get the most wear. In saying that, the list I gave, first ones in particular, have all excelled when I have been lucky enough to play them. They really did stand out in a way you can only appreciate when you played that level of course. I didn't 'get it' before playing them, I do now.

I would also throw in, it can depend when you play a course. We have a tough spell in the UK from mid October through to late April/mid May where we don't get much growth and it is asking an awful lot for perfection during those times. The best courses still do that, or come mighty close but that comes down to a lot of staff, top eqt etc.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For all it's knockers :rolleyes: The Brabazon at The Belfry was in amazingly good condition when I played it - though that was some time ago.
I'm pretty happy as long as Greens are in good condition, fairways are well maintained, Teeing areas are flat and Bunkers are ok.
I've not really experienced any top level courses that I've been critical of their general condition - and I have played quite a few.
@IanM I don't think I'd worry if it wasn't as good as you posted...just a magic place!

G1z1

Visit site
In my area I would say without doubt bonnyton is best condition I’ve seen locally.
Down Ayrshire there all pretty much bang on for condition but would say dundonald links was probably slightly better condition than the rest.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
JCB was the best conditioned course i have played over recent years - mid summer after a monsoon couple of days that had flooded several courses and JCB was amazing - greens stimping at 12 and the massive drainage works of the build worked a treat despite being on heavy clay

The Wisley, after sand capping and complete renovation was also in amazing condiition

Turnberry in beast of the east weather was mint.

Blackmoor is one of the best all year round and great through the winter. Parkstone always very strong and heard Ferndown is now similar - one to go back to this year

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My game at the Old Course was in mid-October a few years ago.
I was absolutely amazed how immaculate it was given how heavily it is played throughout the year.
Greens were absolutely perfect.

AliMc

Visit site
My game at the Old Course was in mid-October a few years ago.
I was absolutely amazed how immaculate it was given how heavily it is played throughout the year.
Greens were absolutely perfect.
As an aside Ken I've been hearing whispers that some members of the club we love to hate have been complaining about the condition of the course recently, rumour is that it will do well to keep it's grossly inflated position in the rankings?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As an aside Ken I've been hearing whispers that some members of the club we love to hate have been complaining about the condition of the course recently, rumour is that it will do well to keep it's grossly inflated position in the rankings?
Indeed, a member of our club who is a member of that club was saying recently it wasn't great.

sunshine

Visit site
Loch Lomond and Finca Cortesin. Not a blade of grass out of place.

Birkdale was immaculate but I don’t think you can get a links course to be as manicured as a parkland.