Top courses in worst condition

sunshine

Visit site
I played it in the summer of 2021 on a twilight deal, and thought everything about it was top class..right up there with the very best I’ve played, with the only exception being the slowish greens

Yeah I thought it was top notch apart from the ridiculously slow greens

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One that surprised me when I played it in 2019 was San Lorenzo in Portugal. Having played almost all the courses in the Algarve, and considering its price, I was expecting something beautifully maintained. It was not. The tee boxes and fairways were in medicore condition for a 50 euro course, but down right poor for a 150 euro one. The greens were decent and I enjoyed the layout but the condition left a very sour taste in our group. Just looked at some recent reviews and it appears that the same comments are still being made now.

Platypus

Visit site
East Sussex National in 2019. Had heard good things about it but when we went for a long weekend playing both courses, it was very disappointing.
We were there in late summer after a prolonged dry spell, but even so, the fairways were so burnt they were peeling!
The practice areas were chewed to bits, lumps of turf scattered all over the place and no attempt made to sand the divots.
Greens were quite good, if a bit fluffy, possibly trying to prevent them becoming like the fairways.
It would take some really good, recent reviews to get me to go there again.

AliMc

Visit site
When I worked for the City of Edinburgh Council we had our 120th year and they fixed up an outing to Royal Burgess, most of our outings with a few exceptions were within Edinburgh and I wasn't really a fan of many of them Duddingston, Mortonhall and a couple of others ok but the rest a bit take it or leave it, was assured by a few folk that I would really like it as it was a top notch course, well I didn't, condition wise it was awful, the greens looked like they hadn't been cut for days and it was just generally scruffy, probably just got it on a bad day but wasn't impressed

sunshine

Visit site
Yep and I'd agree that is exactly how I'd describe Princes back then and for 20 years before that. Play it again if you get the chance, fair to say a lot has changed. You won't be disappointed

Massively impressed with Princes over the last couple of years. I’d rate it above Hoylake now.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Carden Park in early April had both course's greens in appalling condition. We received a 2 for 1 voucher in compensation. Looked like fusarium had become established but other basic maintenance also missed. I guess it was just the cutbacks resulting from hospitality being hit so hard. However very sad to see.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yep and I'd agree that is exactly how I'd describe Princes back then and for 20 years before that. Play it again if you get the chance, fair to say a lot has changed. You won't be disappointed

When we used to do the Kent tour, I initially organised Littlestone over Princes despite the drive afterwards because I felt it was much better. Since the changes I’d happily choose Princes (Himalayas and Dunes preferably) instead of Littlestone for the main event if I were organising it again as it is vastly improved (but would probably also do Littlestone on the Sunday afternoon because I like it ?)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very good to hear that Princes has improved, love to try it again if I'm in the area.
I didn't dislike it at the time, just a little disappointed with its presentation.
Agree with the above about Littlestone, thought it was a cracking course.

peld

Visit site
When I worked for the City of Edinburgh Council we had our 120th year and they fixed up an outing to Royal Burgess, most of our outings with a few exceptions were within Edinburgh and I wasn't really a fan of many of them Duddingston, Mortonhall and a couple of others ok but the rest a bit take it or leave it, was assured by a few folk that I would really like it as it was a top notch course, well I didn't, condition wise it was awful, the greens looked like they hadn't been cut for days and it was just generally scruffy, probably just got it on a bad day but wasn't impressed

Out of interest, given you have said several good clubs in Edinburgh are average or awful in this post - what clubs/courses in the area do you think are in good condition??

AliMc

Visit site
Out of interest, given you have said several good clubs in Edinburgh are average or awful in this post - what clubs/courses in the area do you think are in good condition??
Didn't mean I didn't like them due to their condition i just don't like them as golf courses ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Didn't mean I didn't like them due to their condition i just don't like them as golf courses ?
There are definitely (or were when I was there) some 'ho-hum' courses in Edinburgh, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, imo. There are sufficient good ones (like the 2 you mentioned) and having a range of quality is fine if reflected in the cost.
FWIW, I enjoyed, though wasn't blown away, by RB when I played it eons ago.The history of the club - and the garish outfit of a (newly permitted) Lady member - were more impressive than the course.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Carden Park in early April had both course's greens in appalling condition. We received a 2 for 1 voucher in compensation. Looked like fusarium had become established but other basic maintenance also missed. I guess it was just the cutbacks resulting from hospitality being hit so hard. However very sad to see.

Playing next month so will report back. Played it a few years ago and it was fantastic. Hoping it's ok!!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the courses in Edinburgh (in beautiful condition in summer), just that they are very close to some amazing links courses where the annual subs are a lot less.

peld

Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the courses in Edinburgh (in beautiful condition in summer), just that they are very close to some amazing links courses where the annual subs are a lot less.
They might be a lot less subs, but a) they are quite a drive away if you live in Central/West Edinburgh (petrol would more than offset the differential) and b) please point me in the direction of one you can actually join in the next few years?!?!

peld

Visit site
Dumbarnie Links, easily the best conditioned course I have ever played (in 2020 & 2021) has just shut until June because of the greens.
Had seen several people on the Scotland Golf facebook group complain about the greens. Odd that it was utterly perfect last year and its only this winter (which was fairly light on snow and frost) they were ruined. They must have done something to them and it didnt work.