Top Bandit

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny how scrolling around the net takes you here and there. So I ended up at a very prestigious golf clubs website and was looking at the results of their "Mixed" comp this year. The winners had 91 points. WOW ! (Best two stableford scores I worked out). Thing is, on the winners team was a lady golfer who, off 23 (and 9/10th), whacked the ball round in 12 over (one blob and a BIRDIE!). Shocking!!!!!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A good mate of mine, off a 16 h cap shot a 3 over for 49 points last weekend. He is no bandit. These things happen every now and then. It doesn't mean there are any sinister goings on.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeh - the thing is most weekend warriors are capable of getting a par at every hole and a birdie at a few others. So every so often, everything comes together and they hit is straight and hole a few putts.

The bandits are the folk who specifically manage their handicap and are very careful to maintain a certain score around their home course.

D

Deleted member 21258

Cant really tell anything from one round of golf for a handicap purpose.

Had similar as part of an mixed open that we won at Little Aston earlier this year(I think we won with 91 and 2nd + 3rd iirc were 88 points, will have to go and look :unsure:), was truly amazing to be part of and will stick in my mind for years, as it was just so funny to watch/be part of. The other wife was just on fire, lucky kicks, putts going in from all over the place and the ball rolling for ever in perfect conditions. IIRC she shot about the same stableford score. Never have seen her play like that before and probably wont ever again, as sinking long putts and putts off the green, lucky kicks, are things of luck rather than skill and almost a 2-3 shot swing on a long putt off the fringe. Think I even posted about it on here as it was such a great day generally, their setup is brilliant(same as the previous year, when we went)

Done stupid scores myself before, remember shooting under par whilst still a mid digit handicapper. Also remember a time me/friend won a BB comp(pairs) on a guest day that we had gone for years with 52 or 53 points, it was just silly, we just couldn't miss, chipping in, putting in and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Done that as well. Played to 11 once when I was a 24 handicapper but the week before and week after I shot well over 100. At the GM Centenary qualifying I scored 46 points playing off 21. Everyone can have one of those days and the tutts and looks I got at the GM event when I just had one of those days still annoy me. If someone has a good round, let them enjoy it, if someone is constantly putting in amazing scores in non qualifying events then it may be grounds for suspicion.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had 46 points once that could easily have had been a few more. It happens. Occasionally. Also seen known a (very trustworthy) friend shoot 50 points off 28.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife & I usually play 2 or 3 mixed greensomes opens each year.
At the last one we played in, we found out that the pair who came second had won it the previous two years.
That seems a little suspicious, don't you think?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the last one we played in, we found out that the pair who came second had won it the previous two years.
Why is it? I won the July Medal two years in a row, with a hell of a lot of dross in between.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe but not necessarily*. In my experience if the Lady player is decent and can hit a (relatively) long ball it can be a huge advantage over the field in mixed greensomes. Can result in her partner having loads of 'flicks' into greens.

*Unless one of them is a high handicap 'Short Game Wizard' â„¢

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
These scores happen - I know certainly before I found some consistency I was capable of a good round every now and again as a high handicapper; I know bandits exist, but it irks me that if you hit a score (or not!) one week someone thinks you should be playing of a lot lower! As an example, played a comp with an ex-captain (7h/c) who told me he would have to look at my handicap (14 at the time!) and that it (repeatedly) wasn't right. I scored 36 points in the competition (CSS 38), his normal PP and another ex-captain won it with 45 points off 19 h/c so I asked him was he going to look at his mates handicap as well. Having said that, I was delighted for the winner as he is a great character. I assume he was miffed I drove the ball as well as him, but I wasn't anywhere near him with the irons or putter in hand but all it did was annoy me.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree that people jump to the 'bandit' thought way too quickly. It's rare that I would ever think such a thing as every high capper has his day and is capable of a high score. Our lowest scorer week in/week out (out of 8 of us) was a 25 cap and I have played with him for 2 years. His average would be well under 30 points and not reaching 20 is no surprise to us. His cap has been going up year after year. He has absolutely no short game and I mean NONE. The worst chipper and putter I have ever seen, yet once this year shot 47 points. He has not hit 30 since

The other end of this argument does exist. Player misses buffer almost every week, occasionally scraping into buffer, but never near the prizes. Our 2 biggest comps (captains day and presidents day) he wins both with 47 and 44 points. In-between those comps (5/6 weeks) he returned to high 20'2/low 30's and since the last one past, again he's nowhere in the top 30. This I find more suspicious than a one off

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I play off 14 and last Monday I shot 80 (9 over) with an 8 (4 over) on the last then played Friday and shot around 100. It happens.

I was able to hand the card in as a supplementary score for the Monday one though and am now down to 13 :cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Done that as well. Played to 11 once when I was a 24 handicapper but the week before and week after I shot well over 100. At the GM Centenary qualifying I scored 46 points playing off 21. Everyone can have one of those days and the tutts and looks I got at the GM event when I just had one of those days still annoy me. If someone has a good round, let them enjoy it, if someone is constantly putting in amazing scores in non qualifying events then it may be grounds for suspicion.

Did you play the GM Final at the Forest Of Arden. Glad you didn't bring that qualifying form!!! It can happen. I played a charity day a couple of months back and 92 points won that but there were definitely some real bandit handicaps in that one! I never really get too stressed about trying to win in those sorts of events as I know there are those there that want to win at all costs and have a handicap that lets them be competitive more often than not.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember losing out on countback to a bandit that twice had 5 pointers on his card, was told after that he should play to a lot lower h/c.

Thankfully I don't see that to often.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cant really tell anything from one round of golf for a handicap purpose.

Had similar as part of an mixed open that we won at Little Aston earlier this year(I think we won with 91 and 2nd + 3rd iirc were 88 points, will have to go and look :unsure:), was truly amazing to be part of and will stick in my mind for years, as it was just so funny to watch/be part of. The other wife was just on fire, lucky kicks, putts going in from all over the place and the ball rolling for ever in perfect conditions. IIRC she shot about the same stableford score. Never have seen her play like that before and probably wont ever again, as sinking long putts and putts off the green, lucky kicks, are things of luck rather than skill and almost a 2-3 shot swing on a long putt off the fringe. Think I even posted about it on here as it was such a great day generally, their setup is brilliant(same as the previous year, when we went)

Done stupid scores myself before, remember shooting under par whilst still a mid digit handicapper. Also remember a time me/friend won a BB comp(pairs) on a guest day that we had gone for years with 52 or 53 points, it was just silly, we just couldn't miss, chipping in, putting in and so on.

IT WAS YOU !!!!!!!!