Tonights Match: Man City Vs Chelsea

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Thought tonight was brilliant from Chelsea. Only saw second half as had a golf lesson til 8.30 but caught up most at half time. Should have been 3 or 4 and some of the post match analysis from the studio was spot on. City have a good squad, but man for man, Chelsea had a better 16/17 players out there tonight (bench included).

Thought Chelsea's spine was scarily solid and as Carragher pointed out, that four of Matic / Terry / Cahill / Luiz dominated tonight. Also a very interesting point about Hazard / Willian being 'Mourinho players'. Not sure it's fair to slate Mata too much, but to a man, they put in a shift tonight and work their nads off for him.

Do think they are missing that one striker to grab games like the West Ham one by the scruff of their neck, but if they can open teams like City up the way they did tonight, no reason why they can't win the league. Biggest worry is getting the goals in against lesser clubs as City do so well. Don't think it will come down to goal difference, but City are always going to beat those at the bottom of the league (and some at the top) if they put 4+ past them, Chelsea could do with finding a way to do the same.

Top viewing though, even though I'd backed Chelsea -1 goal!!

Nobody has "slated" Mata, he simply isn't right now for the way Jose wants his team to perform, as such a player of his ability should be playing 1st team football elsewhere rather than sitting on the bench at Chelsea.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nobody has "slated" Mata, he simply isn't right now for the way Jose wants his team to perform, as such a player of his ability should be playing 1st team football elsewhere rather than sitting on the bench at Chelsea.

I know babes, wasn't directly saying that people on here were, if anything more that the guys on sky were - in saying that he wouldn't have worked hard in the same way the lads did tonight.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Huge games on Saturday now with Arsenal away to L'pool who are looking to cement 4th place & Man City away to Norwich who although are in the bottom part of the league, their fighting for survival so it won't be easy.

I'd be amazed if City didn't win. Norwich could "do a west ham" but i haven't seen much fight in their recent performaces.

Arsenal could set a marker if they manage a positve result againt liverpool. I guess it epends what Pool turn up, if they play anything like they have against, Everton, City or chelsea then Arsenal are up against it.

Credit to Wenger (bould) they have worked on their defence lately, but not many stop SAS. Think the first team to score will win as both set up for good counter attacking footy.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'd be amazed if City didn't win. Norwich could "do a west ham" but i haven't seen much fight in their recent performaces.

Arsenal could set a marker if they manage a positve result againt liverpool. I guess it epends what Pool turn up, if they play anything like they have against, Everton, City or chelsea then Arsenal are up against it.

Credit to Wenger (bould) they have worked on their defence lately, but not many stop SAS. Think the first team to score will win as both set up for good counter attacking footy.

By doing a West Ham, that could mean when they beat Man Utd to stop them winning the league when the pikeys were already relegated, I remember Billy Bonds saying that if they'd played like that for just half of the season they would have survived, could Norwich do the same :mmm:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Newcastle might be a rejuvenated team after Joke Kinnear resignation!!

That can happen with managers and coach's but I'm not sure how much JK interfered with the team/squad, so that may be just an upstairs decision that won't affect anything pitch level, hopefully :mmm:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
By doing a West Ham, that could mean when they beat Man Utd to stop them winning the league when the pikeys were already relegated, I remember Billy Bonds saying that if they'd played like that for just half of the season they would have survived, could Norwich do the same :mmm:

Sorry, by doing a West Ham, i basically mean, stick everyone behind the ball, work really hard and most importantly of all. Get as lucky as a team has ever got.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Sorry, by doing a West Ham, i basically mean, stick everyone behind the ball, work really hard and most importantly of all. Get as lucky as a team has ever got.

I knew what you meant, I just wanted to put another side to it, either way, if Norwich take anything off them I'll be very pleased indeed.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I knew what you meant, I just wanted to put another side to it, either way, if Norwich take anything off them I'll be very pleased indeed.
Fair enough, I'd agree it'd be nice to see the title go to the wire again this year, not overly fused who it goes to, just would like an interesting final weekend. It's quite novel to not have to wish for results against relegation rivals, still trying to acclimatise to the feeling lol

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
the pikeys were already relegated
Every confidence Hammers will stay up!:rolleyes:

Oddschecker odds, for them to be relegated, have lengthened too! :whistle:

If only they could keep a full team on the pitch!:angry:

Couple of key games coming up though! Very tight at the bottom - think Squeaky Bum already! Sunderland went up 7 places (initially) with their win on Saturday!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Every confidence Hammers will stay up!:rolleyes:

Oddschecker odds have lengthened too! :whistle:

If only they could keep a full team on the pitch!:angry:

Couple of key games coming up though! Very tight at the bottom - think Squeaky Bum already! Sunderland went up 7 places (initially) with their win on Saturday!

I worry for Fulham, seem to be in freefall atm. They need to hope that their signings hit the ground running or they could be adrift soon.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hang on, ok Mata isn't a Mourinho player, but your intimating he wasn't "all that".

He was and is a great player - he may have unlocked the door against west ham the other week? Who knows, he would have been a hero then.

Read #84, he is a great player and has been an excellent servant but he doesn't fit into what Jose is building for next season, he won't track back like every player did tonight, its just not in his make up and OK, that may be alright in some games, but then should you have to omit a player of his standing for big games like tonight because he doesn't have the work rate we saw from everyone tonight, no is the answer so he either plays the way manager expects or you move on, simples :smirk:

I think Mata and Hazard are two peas from the same pod. The only difference being Hazard toed the line and Mata didn't.

Chuffed to bits for the Chelsea boys. Looks like this is going to be one of the best run-in's for a long time.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Superb game by Chelsea last night, you can't be expected to keep the Citeh front line at may for all 90 minutes, but I bet the Chelsea players slept well last night after the amount of energy/effort they put in!

Not sure if a good result was possible for Arsenal last night, but at least this one puts us 2 clear and a bird in the hand.....

Don't get how a few days ago it was basically how Citeh could field two teams capable of winning the league then all of a sudden dropped points and they can't afford to lose two players (admittedly 2 top class players) but then sports fans do like their excuses (and we're all guilty of that)

14 games to go and a few more twists and turns yet!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not sure if a good result was possible for Arsenal last night, but at least this one puts us 2 clear and a bird in the hand.....

Not sure what you mean by "bird in hand", if you mean games played, all 3 have played the same!

I'm not sure it did Arsenal a favour as some have eluded to, they now have 2 clubs within 3 points who can overtake them and with Arsenal away to Liverpool on Saturday who are looking to cement 4th spot, City away to Norwich who are struggling and Chelsea at home, Arsenal can slip to 3rd place with a much harder run in.

If Liverpool inflict some serious damage on Arsenal I can see Arsenal then choking as I've said they would since the very start, especially with them playing Man Utd only 4 days later!

I think L'pool could then be eyeing up 3rd spot as City and Chelsea fight it out :smirk:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by "bird in hand", if you mean games played, all 3 have played the same!

I'm not sure it did Arsenal a favour as some have eluded to, they now have 2 clubs within 3 points who can overtake them and with Arsenal away to Liverpool on Saturday who are looking to cement 4th spot, City away to Norwich who are struggling and Chelsea at home, Arsenal can slip to 3rd place with a much harder run in.

If Liverpool inflict some serious damage on Arsenal I can see Arsenal then choking as I've said they would since the very start, especially with them playing Man Utd only 4 days later!

I think L'pool could then be eyeing up 3rd spot as City and Chelsea fight it out :smirk:

We already have 55 points to Chelsea and Citeh's 53 so in this instance the bird in hand is the extra 2 points which you guys need to find to catch us.

You're second point is exactly what I was getting at, had Citeh won they would have overtaken us, a draw would have put them a point behind and your lot only 4 behind which let's be honest, even forgetting the rest of our run games coming up, includes a visit from Citeh and a trip to Stamford Bridge, and as you say a win for you last night puts 2 more than capable teams within striking distance at the first slip-up!

Long way to go with a lot of points left to be won and lost!

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What a game it was. As a Chelsea fan, I sat on the edge of the sofa all night long!

I predicted a week ago that however won last night would win the league. I think Arsenal will slip up, and if City draw with Arsenal it's Chelsea's to lose.

Great season this year. I haven't been so excited about football in general for a long time!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What a game it was. As a Chelsea fan, I sat on the edge of the sofa all night long!

I predicted a week ago that however won last night would win the league. I think Arsenal will slip up, and if City draw with Arsenal it's Chelsea's to lose.

Great season this year. I haven't been so excited about football in general for a long time!
come out of the woodwork, once the win is secured........:whoo:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

That is the best point made in the thread so far! Its been too long where only 1-3 teams have a chance. Yes its between 3 really at the minute, but in real terms there are 9 teams fighting for EU spot, Saints will be thinking they stand an outside chance of one, best footy i have seen them play for a long time! newcastle to go into freefall IMHO, ManU will still be in the mix irrespective of their problems,spurs and everton having a mixed bag, if they can find some consistency, both could challenge. LFC for top 4 should be the minimum IMHO, realistically i think its a fight between citeh and Chelski for 1-2 and ars/LFC for 3-4... Spurs, Eve, Manu and Saints battling for 5th,,,

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
That is the best point made in the thread so far! Its been too long where only 1-3 teams have a chance. Yes its between 3 really at the minute, but in real terms there are 9 teams fighting for EU spot, Saints will be thinking they stand an outside chance of one, best footy i have seen them play for a long time! newcastle to go into freefall IMHO, ManU will still be in the mix irrespective of their problems,spurs and everton having a mixed bag, if they can find some consistency, both could challenge. LFC for top 4 should be the minimum IMHO, realistically i think its a fight between citeh and Chelski for 1-2 and ars/LFC for 3-4... Spurs, Eve, Manu and Saints battling for 5th,,,

I think 5th is out if our reach to be honest mate, too many clubs ahead I can't see them all slipping up. Plus I wouldn't want Europa league, we'd need a lot of new recruits and at Mary's to cope with that!