tonic suggestion for 1st tee jitters

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all
does it ever go away the 'funny tummy', 'jelly legs', 'weak bladder' feeling when you are the 1st on the tee box in a competition.
We are hosting a ladies open day at our club on Tuesday and as lady captain I have been told it is my honour to start everyone off, usually in competitions I get drawn to tee off about midway through everyone else, captain's day we go off about 30 mins before everyone else so no one else is around to see other than the men's captain.
This time everyone will be there to see and, maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself, the expectation is I hit the ball straight down the fairway and give a good example, I am BRICKING it :eek:
We have got ladies coming from other local clubs aswell, HELP
Are there any procedures or routines you do before a competition to settle the nerves (excluding alcohol)
Thanks all

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just remind yourself that you are not a pro, also get some practice that morning to get some sort of flexibility worked into your muscles before you step up and crack one down the middle.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Use a 7 iron, a hybrid or even a concrete bollard- whatever gives you the greatest chance of putting some space between you and the watchers

...either that or get competely and utterly blathered beforehand, hug and call everyone your best mate on the way out to the tee, wear a Tommy Cooper fez, scuttle one 25 yards backwards with the back your driver pausing briefly to generate an oddly carrot based ratatouille in the re-seeding box then claim you did it to put everyone else at ease- sorted :cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The best way of avoiding the problem is not to heap too much expectation on yourself. Although the post of captain has certain duties attached to it, you are still a golfer and it is the enjoyment from the game and the company you are with that are paramount.

If you can, try and get there early and hit some balls, ideally for 15-30 minutes so you are nice and loose (in a golfing sense ;)) and have a nice tempo. Then even if you have to attend to other matters in your lofty position as captain a few practice swings before you start will have you nice and loose again

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Until I got to 18 or less, I'd never take the big dog on the first tee. I'd always choose the lowest club that if I hit it good, would leave me a mangeable shot to the green or go for the 3bj.

My last two courses started with either a par 5 or a 3bj monster par 4. Favoured the 5 wood.....

I tend to think, "one of two things is going to happen", "I'll either hit it good, or not......if it goes bad, I'll try to salvage a bogey".....if I can do that, it doesn't matter.....

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I first found out I was going to be teeing off in front of a croud I was absolutely petrified, however when it got to the time I seemed to naturally relax and start playing off of the crowd (what do us amateurs know, I had about 20 people watching and call that a crowd...you have to admire the pros for their ability to shut out the surroundings) and this seemed to get the adrenalin pumping, which I managed to turn into confidence. I just imagined to myself the plaudits I would recieve if I hit a good tee shot and I managed to get a good 5 wood away down the fairway.

Just think positive and everything will be alright, it's all about the strength of the mind.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Best of luck Barb - I shall think of you on tuesday.
(Personally I wouldn't touch A DROP - even a sniff of a white wine spritzer and my co-ordination - such as it is - goes OUT OF THE WINDOW.)
Take that favourite club and have a good day!

AliB

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you do use your driver, dont try and kill it!

A course i play starts with a dog leg left, Lay up is about 150-180. I didnt have anythin to gap the driver and 4 iron so i used my driver with the intention of using about 60-70% power (unusual i know) but there was a massive cue for the tee and i just wante to be as far away as possible. I creamed the shot and landed perfectly in between a fairway bunker and pond on the corner leaving a wedge to the green. This then give me confidence for the round and most of my driver was straight!

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone,
I've got quite a bit of time in the morning before tee off so I think I'll go out on our members only course (we have a small 9 hole course that rarely gets used due to flooding) and hit a few. I think I'll leave the pop until we get back into the club house (it tends to go straight to my head )
Hopefully the weather will hold out.
I went out on Sat and played 2 under my handicap :cool: so you never know I may do it again.
Cheer all

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Try a bit of banter with your friends as you prepare to tee off. If you mess up it will only add to the fun.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try a bit of banter with your friends as you prepare to tee off. If you mess up it will only add to the fun.

Agree with that. Whenever I am in a queue on a tee I find it helps to talk to those around you. A little conversation helps me appreciate that they are no different to me and that helps me relax for my shot.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all
does it ever go away the 'funny tummy', 'jelly legs', 'weak bladder' feeling when you are the 1st on the tee box in a competition.
No,it never goes away. You'll got those feelings as long as you play. There's no real cure other than a deep breath and keeping the take away smooth. Don't rush it and don't even consider a drink before you get on the tee!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Barb,we are all behind you!

Maybe it is a bloke thing but one of the pleasures that golf has brought back to me are those particular feelings you describe. Since I had to give up team sport I had never had them on a regular basis and I missed it big time.

Controlling them and using it to give you an edge will help you loads.

The techniques I use are :-

1 - Always hit 10-15 balls before I play (hit the last couple HARD)

2 - Have a grooved pre shot routine and stick to on the First,do not be rushed.

3 - Use breathing exercises to control my pulse rate so I am relatively calm yet able to access the edge that tension gives me.

Line up,pick your spot and let it go and most importantly ENJOY YOURSELF.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site

I messed up my first shot vs. Jezz and John (GM).....could be because I was keen to talk to them and enjoy watching their cracking shot making......

I tend NOT to get my club out early and fiddle whilst waiting, it just makes me worse.