'To be No1 in the world you should have won a major' ??

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mark Roe said live on air yesterday that Rory should be number 1 because he is the most exciting golfer out there, he clearly has an issue with Donald being number 1, maybe he's jealous of Luke's short game.

Being number 1 isn't about winning majors, it's about being consistent over a 2 year period, and Donald is the definition of consistent. He's also very likely to become the leading money winner on both sides of the atlantic. If anyone can find me a man more deserving of world number 1 right now I'd be very surprised

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you take Football for example. The best team in the country do not always win the FA Cup but is won by someone who on specific days have been on form. The team winning the league has performed over a specific time frame like in the golf world rankings. Man United have been champions in the same season that Liverpool have beaten them both home and away. But Man United are champions as they performed more consistent than Liverpool.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
On what basis, on current form then Luke Donald is the best golfer on the planet and the stats prove it. If we are going on what a player has done in the past then what about a certain Jack Nicklaus? Either way Tiger doesn't feature.

gone-fishin.jpg

Reel him in :D :D :D

B

birdieman

Ranking is not important, I think it only matters for top 50 into the Masters. Wins matter and big wins so Majors and WGC events first then PGA tour then European Tour. Fundamentally golf is about winning, beating the field to the prize. Coming 8th or 10th and picking up ponts is not a concept the golf playing public take easily to.

Trouble for Donald and Westwood is that every other player to rank no.1 has actually won a Major.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Think the majors should hold a lot more points, Luke didn't really feature in any of the last 8 as far as i can remember, and Harrington didn't get near to no.1 when he won 3 in just over a year.
It is only going to Matter for a couple of more months as Rory will be No.1 after his masters win in April.
I also think it is mad that Tiger can jump 30 odd places for a 18 man field event.
Mike

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you take Football for example. The best team in the country do not always win the FA Cup but is won by someone who on specific days have been on form. The team winning the league has performed over a specific time frame like in the golf world rankings. Man United have been champions in the same season that Liverpool have beaten them both home and away. But Man United are champions as they performed more consistent than Liverpool.

I'll see your Football system and I'll raise you Rugby Union. Where the most consistent team in the season can be many points ahead of the rest of the field, then in one game at the end they can lose it all and potentially the 'fourth best' team can be declared the No.1. Crazy!

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This comment was originally attributed to an American commentator after JIM FURYK won last year,forget what ROE said he is still upset that WOODS never sent him a valentines card and to be honest the yanks will try anything to bend the rules so one of their players tops the heap.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
this debates been going all year now every since lee westwood bacome woeld number one, on and off bar a couple of weeks when kaymer knocked westy off.
there will never be a perfect system for everyone look at the continued meddling with the ryder cup teams as long as the players are happy then the system is fine not sure there can be much argument about Luke being no.1 in the world top of both money lists and wins on both tours and a WGC cant see any one else with a better record

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think the majors should hold a lot more points, Luke didn't really feature in any of the last 8 as far as i can remember

Two tops 10s this year (Masters and USPGA). So depends what you call "featuring" I suppose.

14 Top 10s in 19 starts on the PGA Tour.

Top of both money lists

Number 1 in scoring average.

That'll do me as a case to be regarded as currently best player in the world

D

Deleted member 1418

Two tops 10s this year (Masters and USPGA). So depends what you call "featuring" I suppose.

14 Top 10s in 19 starts on the PGA Tour.

Top of both money lists

Number 1 in scoring average.

That'll do me as a case to be regarded as currently best player in the world

And don't forget 4 wins this season! Agree with all of the above - the form of a deserved world No. 1 in my bookl

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And don't forget 4 wins this season! Agree with all of the above - the form of a deserved world No. 1 in my bookl

+1! stats don't lie!you dont get to number 1 by winning a major! you get there by winning money, LOTS of money and more money than anyone else!!!

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are we seriously suggesting that you can only be ranked number 1 in the world if you happen to play well for 4 days out of 730? That means a maximum of 8 players over 2 years can be world number 1. The world number 1 has been the most consistant player over a 2 year period which is actually more difficult than winning a major IMO (I'm sure most won't agree). Genuine question here, how many different people have been world number 1 in the last 20 years and how many have won majors? Is Donald the best player in the world? I guess that depends on your definition of best. Has he been the most consistant over the last 2 years? Without a doubt. Does he have the ability to win a major? Again absolutely! Just look at some of the people who have won a major and Donald is a better player than lots of them.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Last season, Wolves, beat Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool - 4 majors. Then avoided relegation with 3 minutes of the season left. Even as a Wolves fan I wouldn't claim they were the best team in the land!

BROOKIE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think Bill Haas should be be the world number one ,because in one shot he became the fed ex champion,and America got what it wanted i.e an AMERICAN winner,winning the biggest pot of gold,even after he received the
trophy,he asked " who won "..and it was'nt even a major..LUKE,LUKE,LUKE

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simply put - you can and should be #1 if you perform the most consitantly over the requisite period. It isn't determined on majors or a ranking system for events (eg majors, WGC, Players all the way down to the Old McDonald Tractor Cart Backwater Open). It is good to have majors on the CV but shouldn't preclude you from beiing number 1. Mr Happiness Montgomerie even managed to hammer eight order of merit titles without having to get a major in the bank to do so